Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stick with it...

My son James is obsessed with tape. In the last two weeks he has decimated a roll of packing tape, masking tape, painter's tape, and two rolls of Scotch tape. Most of that was employed in the course of a single afternoon in the construction of this weapon of mass destruction:





The primary components are the box from a grill part, the box from a book, and three toilet paper rolls he scavenged from assorted bathrooms in our house. This tank is also the home base for various Lego scout vehicles who are more of the surgical strike school of weaponry; they are sent in to do precision jobs.

This will perhaps explain why my son is delirious with joy that he's getting cardboard for his birthday. We're going to the park up the street and he's inviting his friends and we're turning them loose with cardboard, duct tape and plastic ties (they make good hinges) to construct the fort or spaceship or superaccelerated laser moon gun of their dreams. On the first day of school, he informed me that he already invited a couple of kids to his party. (It's still a month away). He couldn't remember their names but he's pretty sure they're coming. This party will, per his request, be augmented with cheese pizza and a Hot Wheels cake.

Cardboard. Tape. Pizza.

I want to be nine again.

(Seven comment rule is back in effect!)

11 comments:

TheOneTrueSue said...

Me too. This is kind of an awesome idea for a party. Now I just need a nine year old.

And your moo comment cracked me up, by the way.

LisAway said...

Creative kids don't need fancy toys. AND they're smarter! Excellent idea for a party!

Josi said...

That is so dang impressive--wonder what he could do with some peanut butter and a potato--dinner? And what's the seven comment rule? Sounds intriguing.

nano*ink said...

He's very creative - like his Nana
and maybe his mother...and maybe Kenny and James and .....
Has he done his Art Beaver project?
He could do a rubbing of his awesome
weapon of mass destruction over some of the crinkly tape.
"It is art that makes life, makes interest, makes importance, and I know of no substitute for the force and beauty of its process". Henry James

Heather of the EO said...

GREAT idea for the party, lady!

Go take a peek at my latest post when you catch some time. I totally awarded you...

Anonymous said...

I have VERY fond memories of a watermelon crate my dad dragged home from the store one summer!

I'm incredibly impressed with your idea for a party - that's one a lot of parents would never think of. It's awesome!

Can I come? I'll bring a watermelon crate...

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You're going to have to up your comment rule. Seven seems to be coming fairly easy these days. =)

I want to be nine again too.

No wait...I was miserable when I was nine and I'm happy at thirty. I did life kind of backwards...

Alison Wonderland said...

What is it with kids and tape?!

Oh and I love how you make it all sweet and nostalgic where I just yell at my kids because I can't find any tape.

Alison Wonderland said...

Oh and um, Sue was here. You do know that I'm blog stalking her right? And she was here! At your blog! You made her laugh! You really are a rockstar.

charrette said...

My 9-year-old would LOVE your 9-year-old. I can just tell. Peas in a pod.

charrette said...

p.s. I wish I could donate the box from our IKEA couch to your awesome cardboard party!