Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tall tales

"Riley" is a kid in James's class. And by "Riley", I mean Riley. I don't even know who is his mom is so I'm pretty sure she's not reading my blog.

I got to know Riley after volunteering in my son's classroom last year, and he's back again this year. I kinda like him but he's a handful. Class clown, chatterbox, etc.

But your kids all have a Riley in their class. It might be even be your kid.

We hear all about what Riley says and does because he's quoted ad nauseum in our car, at the dinner table. Et cetera.

"Riley says if you go to this one website, you can find your relatives back like, 400,000 years."

"Riley's mom's brother was in the Twin Towers on 9-11 and he escaped by jumping out of a window and landing on a mattress and he broke ten ribs, his arm, and his leg."

"Riley's grandfather was on the Titanic."

Riley. Dude. Stop talking.

10 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oi. It's bad enough having to deal with your own kid's tall tales, nevermind vicarious ones.

*MARY* said...

I want a Riley! My kids don't do much talking.

Jessica G. said...

About fell out of my chair trying not to laugh outloud at the last bit (kids sleeping). I've been there.

LisAway said...

We have a problem with the kid's friends lying about how amazing their lives are, "I get to stay up until midnight every night." "I have 3 bikes that are all just my own." Stuff like that. My kids just kind of stare at them, not sure if they should be impressed or if the kid is lying. Probably a lot of kids do that. I'm glad my own kids think it's kind of lame.

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's Riley...or at least our boy's recollection of what Riley said during the day. I suspect that our own boy embellishes Riley a bit.

I'm waiting for the day when our boy doesn't believe quite EVERYTHING his friends tell him at school.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Kenny: Remember, I know Riley. James wouldn't have to exaggerate by much. Love you.

K: yeah, me, too.

M: I think my son is other peoples' Riley.

J: Glad it's not just me.

L: I can't wait until James thinks it's lame, too. But I think it took me until college to figure stuff like that out.

Alison Wonderland said...

We don't really have a Riley. I guess that means other parents are hearing about the Princess and the Pea over their dinners.

Suckas!!!

Josi said...

I'm a scout leader and I think they are ALL Rileys. "My dad drove fifty miles an hour on his four wheeler", "I ate 100 cookies and threw up", "My little brother broke his arm in half!" Where is a good roll of duct tape when you need it.

Heather of the EO said...

I think this tales sound completely true.
My friend, Riley. And his name is really Riley, is totally this kid! I've known him my whole life. He's a hoot, even to this day. Love it. Must go with the name.

Elder Ostergar said...

have had a few kids like that in carpools over the years. It's always the ones that have to "one up you" that drive me the most crazy.