Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The barbaric yawp.


I've been yawping.


Deep, satisfying, soul-stirring yawps. (See Dead Poets Society. But first brush up on your Whitman.)


I had to put my writing aside for a while to deal with moving into our new home and preparing the condo to rent out. It involved a lot of mind-numbing contractor coordinating, paint picking, errands, and . . . well, you get the point.


It wasn't creative. It wasn't making something new. It wasn't about flexing brain muscles and wrestling words into a shiny, happy flow. It had moments of fun, but not the kind that makes your soul smile.


Now things are settled enough (not completely, but enough) that I CAN WRITE.


Oh, I miss this place, this place where everything is a story and I can't type fast enough to squeeze it all in. I feel like a conduit for wonderfulness. Ideas are hurling themselves at me from all directions, from the community pool to the neighborhood block party. To wit:


Didn't I tell you?


How could I not put this guy in a story? And he hangs out at my neighbor's house a lot, so I'm going to have all kinds of great material.


For anyone who thinks I embellish some of the crazy things I tell you, believe me. Just believe me. I have a combination radar/magnet for wackiness. I don't have time to make anything up when my life is ripe with Pakistani Elvises. (Elvi?)


Just wait until my next post when I reveal the cast of characters I've run into for some future novel that you won't believe. But what did I say? BELIEVE ME.


Also, for all those of you who felt cheated by my wardrobe malfunction non-story, here's the euphemistic Cliff's Notes version, and it's all I'm going to say: Imagine a car with its high beams on whose headlights are seriously out of alignment. You're welcome.

15 comments:

LisAway said...

Elvi. :D

I'm so glad you've got characters not only running around in your head, but in your neighborhood, too.

And I DO appreciate you sharing the headlight story. That's a lotta fun. For everyone involved. :)

Kazzy said...

LOL This made me laugh!

Magnet for wackiness, huh? I love the random fools that help us to realize we are pretty darn put together! Tender mercies...

Susan said...

Eliv. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. And thanks for the visual of your misaligned headlights. I have to come see you the next time I'm in Southern California. Probably at Christmas. I wonder what crazies will be out and about then.

Kristina P. said...

SOunds like you moved to the right place.

Braden Bell said...

I say ditch the romance novels and start right in on a book about these folks!

Annette Lyon said...

What everyone else said. Especially Elvi.

becca said...

Everything is material. Especially the weirdness that's too real for fiction. Welcome home to the world of writing.

NIKOL said...

For a couple years, before I moved over to the Emergency Department at the hospital, I worked in the Psychiatry Department. Specifically, in the psych clinic. The head of the clinic was this doctor who had been with the Medical Center for over 20 years. He was widely recognized as a leader in the field of psychiatry and had written several books and scholarly articles. He was also an Elvis impersonator. His license plate said "DR ELVIS." And he would perform at all the department Christmas party.

NIKOL said...

...all the department Christmas PARTIES.

I need to learn to proofread.

Christiane R. Woerner said...

I just love the fact that no one asks him to do this!

It seems as if you'll get him for every major holiday! If he's orthodox, then you might have a reprieve during Ramadan (11 Aug - 9 Sept this year).

Please share his future set list with us all!

Unknown said...

I've stood in a grocery line behind Elvis, eaten in the next restaurant booth from Elvis, shared the escalator at the Luxor with TWO Elvi (brilliant), and passed Elvis in the parking lot of WalMart.

But none were Pakistani. You win.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm totally jealous of your neighborhood.

The only thing that happens around here is that the stupid gardeners turn on the leaf blower EVERY morning by 8am.

I can't wait to read a story about your crazy neighbors.

Charlotte said...

Now you can write about what you know and have it be set in a crazy, wonderful place. All we have in our neighborhood are people driving their wheelchairs down the middle of the road. I need a more exciting place to live.

Wonder Woman said...

Yay for yawping!

A few months ago I wore breast pads to trap leakage. Now I wear them to avoid headlights. High five for breastfeeding, eh?

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Dang my life is boring. I mean, I still like it and all but you get some seriously fabulous material with that magnet of yours. Love it!