Friday, August 29, 2008

NyQuil, you will not defeat me again!

I meant to blog yesterday. Really, I did. But my thought processes couldn't pierce the NyQuil befuddled haze surrounding the synapses that would translate ideas into typed, written words. So instead I sat in front of the laptop in a near catatonic state, periodically mustering the energy to scroll through my favorites and snort over people with hair in only one armpit or whatever it might be.

I feel marginally better today with only a strange, residual tingling in my hands, courtesy of the NyQuil.

So it's on to Friday favorites. It's a list of books, but books that fit certain moods. See, the thing is, I read kind of a lot. So there will definitely be more than one book that will fit each category. I'm just putting down my favorite I think of at the moment. However, I love suggestions and if I like your blog and you suggest a book, I'm even more likely to read it and then tell you what I thought. Which may be a deterrent, when I think about it. My point being, please leave suggestions. I love me a good book!

1. Favorite book for revisiting childhood: Anne of Green Gables. The whole series, actually.

2. Favorite book for restoring my faith in humanity: To Kill a Mockingbird.

3. Favorite book for warm fuzzies: I Love You, Stinky Face.

4. Favorite book that makes me want to be a fighter pilot: Ender's Game.

5. Favorite book for curling up with on a crisp fall night: Harry Potter. Either Azkaban or Goblet of Fire.

6. Favorite book for making me glad I'm in love: Pride and Prejudice.

7. Favorite book that made me say, "Whoa. That was cool." Two way tie: Devil in the White City and The Book Thief.

8. Favorite book for making me laugh: Stephanie Plum mysteries.

9. Favorite book for recapturing my misspent youth: Nine Stories.

10. Favorite book that makes me want to have an adventure: Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I realize there are a ton of cliches on this list. If you know me at all, you know I'm not a purist. I have no problem liking what everybody else does as long as it's good. And if people pick something over and over again as a favorite, there's usually a reason. Sometimes it's a good one. Like in the case of the above titles: they're good, which I think is a great reason.

I'm waiting to hear from you. I know who you are. Type. And then push, "Publish comment."

7 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

I LOVE my bald armpit and YES, you accomplished your task and made me gasp and snort. What a surprise as I prepared to read about NyQuil (which totally kicks my butt too, making me want to hide and sleep for days on end).
Too funny, you goof!
Love the book list too. I like how you separated the categories - fun stuff.

nano*ink said...

My favorite to make me laugh - Cheaper by the Dozen

From my kids childhood - The Chronicles of Prydain - fun memories

I can't remember your other lists, so will have to make a second comment. I think my back hurts from cleaning out the window wells so I could have some light in my dungeon.

Josh and his partner were chosen to write a script for Disney! Three others presented too - he is very excited. nano

nano*ink said...

I just read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch - made me want to have more guts...

Favorite Christmas Children's Book
from Canada - great art work but I can't remember exactly the title...I think it was If it happened then, it could happen now. The story traveled across Canada showing different nativity scenes and weather people noticed or not...I am not making sens, oh well.

I loved the James Herriott books - warm fuzzies and sometimes laugh out loud.

Now I am brain dead.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Some good ones there...and a few I've never heard of and am probably going to track down now.

Feel better please!

Alison Wonderland said...

The entire Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. Start with Crocodile on the Sandbank and just keep on going.

PS Don't let the lame titles scare you. Trust me.

charrette said...

Great list. To Kill A Mockingbird tops my list as an all-time great read. I also loved The Book Thief. It's in my Top 10 for sure. My short list of simply-must-reads, if you haven't already, includes Peace Like A River, The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Each of these has a powerful atonement metaphor in a way that enriches the way I see the world.

See? No one should get me started talking about books...

One last confession--My all-time favorite for a laugh: The screenplay for Four Weddings and a Funeral. A giggle on every page. Sometimes in every other sentence.

earlfam said...

Have you ever read anything my Naomi Regan? She's not the greatest writer in the world, which I'm sure is the reason she's not more popular (it's funny how that works). But she is fabulous at setting up moral dilemmas that make you really struggle to figure out what's the right thing to do. So in spite of the fact that she doesn't put her stories together as well as some writers, these three are definitely worth reading-Sotah, Jephte's Daughter, and The Sacrifice of Tamar.

And I just finished Year of Wonders and loved it.