Friday, September 5, 2008

Guilty Pleasures (Friday favorites)

(Seven comments before we move on. [You guys are rocking my world on that, btw]. And you may Blue Dog if you have to).

There are things we all enjoy that we would be embarrassed if people knew about, even our closest friends. And I am absolutley speaking for everyone in the whole world here because I refuse to accept that I am the only one who does this.

So today's list of Friday Favorites are my particular guilty pleasures. You know the sort; it's not even kind of a sin and yet indulging in or enjoying any of these things suggests that you are in fact not as refined and cultivated as you pretend to be, so you pretty much don't admit to them.

Seriously, say this isn't only me.

But shame isn't healthy, so I'm shining a light on my little secrets:

Guilty Pleasures:

Food: a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and a bag of Reese's Bites (the little balls) on a night when the boys are gone.

Books: a thick Regency romance off the grocery store shelves (although I DO skip the bad parts, and I'm not lying!)

TV: The Secret Life of an American Teenager. This show is so far beyond ridiculous and yet I can't look away.

Movies: Talladega Nights. The hands thing kills me. And I'm so not a "stupid" movie fan. I just can't resist this one.

Internet: I read the CNN and MSN celebrity gossip links.

Magazines: I will read US any time I find it in a waiting room or at a friend's house, even if it's three months out of date.

Fashion: I would live in sweats if I didn't think my children would be embarrassed by it. And I live in brightly colored ankle socks when it's too cool outside for flip flops. But that'd have to be down around the thirties before I give up my Reefs.

Music: Um, I have Neil Diamond concert tickets. Seriously.

Time waster: blog stalking. Totally. Oh, and playing mindless free games online like Cubis, over and over again. Even if I've already solved it. Multiple times.

As for comments, well...you may comment on my total lack of taste. I'm prepared to take the hit. You can share your own guilty pleasure, if you dare choose. Or you may suggest the greatest guilty pleasure in any one of these categories that I might be missing out on. Or a category I forgot. Because I probably overlooked about....fifty dozen. (I'm too tired to multiply and figure out how many that is.) There are so many cheesy things I have yet to discover... but I'm trying really, really hard!

9 comments:

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Cool, Neil Diamond tickets! My guilty pleasure is watching teen movies. Like I love watching high school musical with my girls

Alison Wonderland said...

I'm all about the regular nacho cheese Doritos. And Fritos. Oh and Cheetos.

Anonymous said...

Though I've come to terms with it and I feel no guilt whatsoever, some people (as in my wife, bandmates, family, and friends) think I should somehow feel guilty about this...

I L-O-V-E ELO!!!...as in the Electric Light Orchestra...as in "Don't Bring Me Down", "Evil Woman", "Mr. Blue Sky", "Do Ya" ("Do ya, do ya want my love, woman...") "Can't Get It Out Of My Head", "Livin' Thing", "Telephone Line", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Xanadu", "Rock And Roll is King", "Hold On Tight (To Your Dreams)", etc.

Remember them? 20 Top 40 Singles? Yep, that's the one!

Jeff Lynne's music just makes my insides smile. It's sugary, sappy, poppy ELO goodness.

My poor wife has to endure my "ELO spottings". The Moster.com commercial comes on with "Do Ya" playing in the background, and I'm all "Honey, that's ELO! That's ELO!". Same when we're watching movies and TV. "Wild Hogs" with "Showdown". "My Name is Earl" with "Hold On Tight" and "Livin' Thing". Of course, then there's the movie that started the ELO resurgence..."Billy Madison" with "Telephone Line".

Don't get me started because then I'm liable to point out current indie bands covering ELO tunes: I'm talking to YOU Grandaddy and Band of Horses!!! Or the not-so-indie covers: Beautiful South, Eddie Money, Ace Frehley, David Lee Roth.

Ah, my poor wife.

But don't worry, I don't make her listen to ELO in the car. I wait until I'm alone. Or better yet when I'm alone with our baby so I can bring him up right. I cuddle him and feed him pure white, refined C&H sugar while we're listening to ELO, that way he too will grow up with good feelings associated with that heavenly music.

Heather of the EO said...

Peeps at Easter time, you know, the sugar covered sugar things. mmmmm...

Justin Timberlake

People Mag

Aubrey said...

British comedies. I laugh even if I've seen it five times already.

Reading my horoscope in the paper.

McDonald's french fries.

Tomato sandwiches on white bread with lots of mayo.

And the OC. (Pathetic, I know.)

Emily said...

Um . . . I suffer from post pregnancy brain, so I'm going to have to blue dog this one . . .

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

British television for certain, specifically Red Dwarf, a raunchy sci-fi comedy show that makes me laugh so hard I almost pee.

Schmultzy tv shows like Felicity.

I love eating candy corn till my teeth have fuzzy sweaters on them and I feel like I'm going to be sick.

Also, vast quantities of maple fudge. Oh my.

Mary Higgins Clark mysteries which do nothing to broaden my mind and everything to entertain.

I'm number seven! Woot!

nano*ink said...

hiding candy bar wrappers under the other trash
an open bag of chocolate chips behind the rice

3D Tetris

Brad Paisley

charrette said...

I'm so glad you included the Reese's balls...what would a list of guilty pleasures be without SOME form of CHOCOLATE?!

Neil Diamond is a great performer. I LOVE his new single Pretty Amazing Grace. Wow. The guy's like 70 and he still rocks. (A Neil Diamond concert figures in one of my future Soap Opera Sunday tales...)