Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Grow up, already.

I hate #22 and I'm so ashamed.

Not the number twenty-two or even 22.

#22. Our unit number.

Not our unit. I love our condo. It's fabulous since we remodelled. Wood floors, granite countertops, new appliances.

I just hate having to put #22 on stuff when I fill out my address because I'm vain and shallow and annoyed with myself for being that way.

I want a regular address, where there's no unit number because I don't like people thinking I live in an apartment.

See, I told you it was ridiculous. I have stripped myself of the need or desire for expensive handbags or designer jeans but for some reason, it bugs me for people to think I live in an apartment instead of owning a condo.

No, not for some reason. For a very specific reason: I am vain and shallow. Can't forget that.

Half our ward lives in apartments. They don't care. I don't care. But I don't want people thinking I live in an apartment. And here's the dumbest part: there's nothing wrong with living in an apartment and I know it. Often, it's the smart thing to do. And it still bothers me.

I think this has to do with being in my 30's now, paying my dues, and wanting credit for getting somewhere in life financially.

Dumbest reason in the world.

I really hate that I feel this way. I like thrift stores. I embrace hand-me-downs. I trawl the Marshall's and Ross regularly. I love a coupon. I could happily buy used cars for the rest of my life.

I'm going to practice not caring and giving out my address proudly. "#22! I live in #22! And I don't care what the secretary at my son's richy-rich school thinks that means about my finances! #22! "

Viva la #22!!!!

Go ahead. Give me what-for. I deserve it. Seven spankings to move on.

11 comments:

LisAway said...

This is something of a catch 22. Or not exactly, but it's the first thing I thought of when you started talking about the number.

At least your number is a pretty great one. Imagine if your condo number was like 49 or 31. Yuck!! :)

Glad you're fighting to get over that feeling. I think it's a very logical one. And vain. Kidding!

Jami said...

Unit 22? Suite 22? 3754-22 Sapphire Dr? Would any of those take the sting away a bit?

I feel your pain. We were in suite 3 for five years, before we got our own number. I was thirty-three.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You're such a hoot. Just write Condo Unit #22 or somesuch nonesense. =P

I would feel exactly the same way, to be honest.

Heather of the EO said...

When you sent me your mailing address, I was all "WHAT??? 22? Does this mean she liven in an APARTMENT?!?"
And then I laughed and laughed.
Kidding of course.
But I do get what you're saying. I'm glad you're so honest about it. I would actually kind of like to live in an apt. right now because of less stuff to clean and all that. But if I did, I would probably feel a little funny about it, for the same silly reasons as you are. We're weird.

Erica Jane said...

For what it's worth 22 is my favorite #. I mean I had 3 of my kids born on that day. And I hate living in a duplex, even if it is in one of the best neighborhoods in the state and I own it!

Erica Jane said...

sorry I was logged in under Erica's account. kellyo

Becky said...

I totally understand your pain! Except I actually do live in an apartment. I hate adding the #1 to everything, though.

Hey, everyone! My husband has a good job he loves and we're out of debt and we love our neighborhood, but we live in an apartment so we're big fat losers!

Yeah, I hear you.

Funny thing is, I never think that about other people. Just me.

Melanie Jacobson said...

L: Good point. I do like even numbers on houses better than odd ones. Although for most other things I prefer odd numbers because there's always an exact center.

J: I live on Lake Street, which is the prettiest one in our town, so that helps.

K: It actually amazes me that I'm not alone on this. I thought I was a fruitcake but it turns out you guys are all weird, too.

H: Smaller is better for cleaning, that's true. Unless you're super messy, which we are.

K: Being in a great neighborhood is the one major thing that eases the sting of that big ole #22.

B: I know! And it's only certain people that it even bothers me with, and yet it still gets to me.

Alison Wonderland said...

I would feel exactly the same way if I had to live in an apartment(that would be really funny if blogger would let me do strikethroughs here) condo, I mean condo. Actually I would feel the same way if I had a number like that in my address so if you're vain (and let's face it you probably are) then I am too (there's not really any question about that).

And I have no words of wisdom for you.

tricki_nicki said...

Ok, this is so funny because my husband is always trying to talk me into moving into a condo! Especially right now with the economy the way it is. It's much smarter to be renting because everyone's losing money on their houses! So feel REALLY good about the fact that you not only have a chic condo, but you're saving money too. :)

Anonymous said...

I hate the #22 too.

The worst are forms that specify "Apt. #". I always scratch it out and put "condo-that-i-bought-with-my-own-money-and-we-live-within-walking-distance-to-the-beach #".

That shows 'em!!!!