Monday, November 17, 2008

Wait, isn't that...? Holy cow, it is.

If you live in Southern California, you know it's littered with famous people, their hangers-on, and Hollywood has-beens and wannabes. You can't go anywhere without tripping over one of them.

Okay, that's not exactly true, and you get less of the fame junkies the farther from LA you wander.

But you still bump into someone famous every now and then. For my SIL, who is a children's photographer, this happens a lot because she has celebrity clients. One of them had her photograph their children on a beach in Malibu yesterday, which lead to a funny encounter with Martin Sheen (who I will forever love as Jed Bartlett, long may he reign). My SIL always finds this stuff entertaining, probably because it happens a lot and she's too down to earth to get caught up in any of it, but as her audience, I'm always sort of fascinated. You know, like it's that page of that one magazine where it's all, "Stars: They're just like us" and then you see a celebrity shoving a burger in their face.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my brushes with fame this week. If you live in California, you have two or three or ten of these stories, same as you do earthquake stories. You just keep them in your back pocket and pull them out when a party gets dull.

But I'll start with my credentials first, by laying out my six degrees to Kevin Bacon (remember that game?)*. Anyway, my friend Colleen is best friends with this guy Kyle whose girlfriend was the photographer's assistant at Jennifer Aniston/Brad Pitt's wedding, and Jennifer Aniston was in a movie with Kevin Bacon. So I think that gives me maybe five degrees.

I think this week I'll tell about hanging out in a club with Shaquille O'Neal, waiting in line with David Spade, almost riding in a limo with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, and my most favorite celebrity encounter of all which I'll reveal when I tell the story (and yes, it's a cool one, not lame like the other ones, which I never said would be cool so just relax because I am the last person in the room to pretend coolness because I'm so totally opposite of cool that you should be embarrassed to even be reading my blog because probably I'll drip nerd juice on you and you'll get infected).

Anyway, you might have seen through this as a thinly veiled attempt to think of something to blog about, and you'd be right, because I have to divert my extra brain power to an editing project for my brother (grr) and so I'm pulling my celebrity stories out of my back pocket to keep this blog party from getting too boring.

And I warn you in advance that my comments on your blogs might lack a little....um...what's that word for when things make sense?

Oh, yeah. Coherence. So you might just want to skip my comment if you see it pop up. (Guaranteed, my brain probably did. Skip my comment, that is.)

*Thanks for the link, Shellie!

18 comments:

LisAway said...

Oh! Celebrity sightings! I love me a good celebrity sighting!! Or two or three! Tuning in. . .

(and I'm not worried about nerd juice, although it sounds disgusting. I already have the disease.)

Anonymous said...

my only celebrity sighting was Tom Jones in Las Vegas. I turned around and he was standing right next to me. It totally got me all squirly and hyper. I can't imagine what would happen if it was someone like brad pitt or something.

My uncle is best friends with donny osmond, who was in mulan, which had another actress who was in Balto... which starred Kevin Bacon.

http://oracleofbacon.org/

Anonymous said...

I lived for four years in a little town in the mountains--sort of an arts community--where there were celebrity sightings frequently as this was a vacation spot and a good place to send their kids to an arts academy for high school.

The only celebrity I ever "sighted" however was Herb Jefferies, and I saw him many times because he lived there. He always smiled and said hello because he's that kind of guy. You're now asking Herb Who? Well he is old now, but he was in a bunch of cowboy movies decades ago. Known as the bronze buccaneer, I think. Try googling him. maybe I will, too.

Debbie said...

The only celebrities I could see around here might be an escaped serial killer or some of those great guys from Deliverance. Looking forward to your tales.

Iguana Montana said...

My favorite celebrity sighting was seeing George Peppard on a golf cart while I was with my parents on the Universal Studios tour.

OK. I was thirteen. So sue me.

Alison Wonderland said...

So after all that build up we don actually get a celebrity story. Huh.

nano*ink said...

My celeb encounter - is with someone OLD - Paul Anka. He grew up on the same street in Canada that I did...so he wasn't a celeb then, just kind of an obnoxious kid. He is older than me and I think I remember him having a band or something in those days...

Aubrey said...

I saw Whoopi Goldberg waiting in line at the Haagen Daaz in Downtown Disney once, and I swear I saw Britney Spears walking around at Sundance, but no one believes me. :(

Love the idea of "nerd juice", by the way. (The words on paper, not the actual juice itself.)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey, so where's the celebrity story?? ;)

And I thought your comment was pretty funny in my box today.

Kristina P. said...

Hey, Emilio Estevez and I have the same birthday, and Emilio is Martin Sheen's son. Does that count?

Stephanie said...

loved the nerd juice comment. will read with care. :)

*MARY* said...

I saw the local weather girl at a movie theater once; IT WAS AWESOME!
She was just seeing a movie like a regular person; not even renting out the entire theater or anything, so down to earth!

Linda said...

Remember when we came to visit and saw Sandra B walking down Rodeo Drive???? That was when Uncle Mark would not go in any more stores because he was going to have his own celebrtity sighting.

Heather of the EO said...

You are too funny. I have a friend in LA who has stories all the time. She rubs shoulders with Paris Hilton, the Wilson bros and such. I say "whatever," cause my life here in Minnesota is MUCH more exciting than that.

annie valentine said...

I used to serve coffee to Kirk Cobain's dad. Kirk was married to Courtney Love, and she and Jennifer Anniston were on the same spread in my Star Magazine last month, and with Jennifer's close proximity to Kevin Bacon, I'm like, so there.

Thanks for helping me pull this together. now I need a party.

Jewel Allen said...

A celebrity!!

Um, excuse me, Ms. Write Stuff, can I pls. have YOUR autograph ;-)?

Jessica G. said...

I met Vanilla Ice. It was before he was cool...no, wait...he was never cool. It was before he was a laughing stock. And he was flirting with me because nothing says "hot chick" like a middle schooler in a polyester cheerleading skirt.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I currently live five hours for civilization. Pleeeease let me live vicariously through you. Bring on the nerd juice.