Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gimme my cookie.

Several years back, the comedian Chris Rock did a routine where he talked about a certain class of individual he can't stand. His beef was with their attempts to take credit for things they should be doing anyway. It sounds something like this:

"I pay my child support," said all braggingly and stuff.

So? You're supposed to pay your child support.

"And I've never been to jail," said all self-satisfied.

So? You're not supposed to go to jail! What do you want? A cookie?

I used to say that to my students all the time when they'd come in and be all, "Hey, I did my homework last night."

And I'd say, "What do you want? A cookie?"

Last night as we were winding down, I turned and said to my husband, "I cleaned up after myself when I made dinner tonight." Yes, it's unusual enough that I felt the need to point it out.

"That's good, honey," he said, with no trace of irony because he's a very good man.

And when he wandered into the bathroom to brush his teeth, I was struck by how ridiculous it was that I hate housework so much that I had to take credit for doing something as lame as cleaning up a cooking mess. That I made. So I yelled after him, "I want my cookie!'

And he laughed.

14 comments:

Josi said...

LOL--I love it!! Ha ha.

Annette Lyon said...

On the other hand, I'd be far more likely to get the house clean if I knew I'd get a cookie on the other end. :D

LisAway said...

Hee hee.

In response to Annette, I always get my cookie(s) at the end of the day. Except tonight it's peanut butter brownies. Probably four of them.

Cajoh said...

My wife admits that she doesn't feel that she has accomplished anything unless she can share what she did with me— I don't mind a bit. I'll have to start passing out cookies so she knows I noticed.

Alison Wonderland said...

It's funny because it's true.

Amateur Steph said...

Cookies would totally motivate me. I hate housework.

Kristina P. said...

So, so true.

Where have you been my bloggy friend?

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hee hee hee. Great post.

I commented on your blog. Where's my cookie???

hee hee

So is CaJoh for real? He's like the nicest man ever.

Becky said...

Excellent! I'm gonna start using that at the end of my sentences. Where's my cookie?

Stephanie said...

I'm in a rush for my post-Christmas blog catch up marathon, so I'll keep it short: loved it. And I didn't know you taught? Me too. And I SO want a cookie.

TheOneTrueSue said...

I love that Chris Rock skit. Love that your husband immediately knew what you were talking about.

Emily said...

Funny. You deserve a cookie!

Heather of the EO said...

Ha!!! Oh, how often I ask for a cookie! Lame, but true. Daily pretty much.

Dedee said...

~giggles~

I want my cookie too!