Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rabbit trails

1. People who constantly rant about politics on Facebook bore me and I hide them so I don't have to deal with it. I'm interested in politics. I'm educated about it. I enjoy discussing it. DISCUSSING it. Not ARGUING about it. And most certainly not being status updated to death.

2. I can't figure out if I like sugar free Kool-Aid tropical punch or Crystal Light tropical punch better.

3. Once I ate at this great soul food place in Harlem (and yeah, it feels cool to say that) called Amy Ruth's. They had Kool-Aid on the menu. I asked what flavor. The waitress looked at me like it was the dumbest question a white lady ever asked her and said, "Red."

4. That color personality test always says I'm even split between red and blue, apparently the most difficult personality type. But I think I'm way more blue than it's saying.

5. I meant to paint my bathroom this nice spa blue. Right now, the ceiling and two runny splotches on two different walls are blue. It's been like that for two years.

6. Baby G decided my white bedroom door should be purple. Voila! Purple marker hand prints all over it today. But it was Crayola marker so I didn't kill him.

7. My son picked a color called Crayola Yellow for his bedroom when we moved in. I think next time, we'll guide his choices with a firmer hand.

8. The same son came home sick from school today (very rare) because he keeps coughing up phlegm and he refuses to swallow it. Instead, he gets up every three minutes and spits it out. Apparently, he did this all day in class. I bet the teacher is excited to have him in there.

9. I'm trying to pretend that the following things don't exist: overdue property taxes I keep forgetting to pay and Cub Scouts starting again on Friday.

10. My sister-in-law(ish)'s brother got bit last night by a green pit viper in Thailand. And he DIDN'T EVEN KNOW until he went to the hospital with a swollen (black) foot and they told him it was a snake bite. He seems to be holding steady. They flew him to a top notch hospital in Bangkok.

11. I don't think my name is as common as it should be. It's a nice name.

12. Sciatica = not my favorite.

13. I never set microwave cook times or alarm clocks for even times, like 5:00 for 7:30. I cook stuff for 47 seconds, or wake up at 7:32.

14. That's why I'm ending on 14 and not 15 or 20. Because I can.

25 comments:

Debbie said...

One of my favorite things about you is your rule breaking tendencies. Once, I announced to my husband that I would no longer go to bed on the hour. True. I told him it would be 5 minutes before or after but not on the hour. Sometimes you just have to make a stand.

Lara Neves said...

The Facebooks status issue is KILLING me.

I am having paint color issues at my house. Your post did not make me feel better.

If you ignore property taxes, they will totally go away. :)

Luisa Perkins said...

You always entertain me. And that's not as easy to do as it might seem.

Kazzy said...

I come out half blue, half red too, but I KNOW I am more blue.

I get sciatica every month, and it make me want to chop my legs off.

Maybe we are twins! Wait, you are way cuter than me. Never mind.

Kristina P. said...

I went to church in Harlem once, and it was the coolest thing ever. One of the counselors literally looked like Huggy Bear.

I am a blue/yellow mix.

I will tell my friend/coworker it's a good thing they didn't go back to Thailand this week. She's in Costa Rica with her family, but they were thinking about going to Thailand. But they've been a couple of times before.

Annette Lyon said...

I'm wanting to hear more about the snake. What the what?!

Wonder Woman said...

I had a little pain the other day and I thought it was my sciatica. Then I thought, "No, I'm not far enough along for that." Apparently I'm wrong.

I cook popcorn for 78 seconds. And cookies for 14 minutes. And get up at 7:18.

I'm blue/yellow.

charrette said...

Every clock in my house (and my car) is set seven minutes fast. Unfortunately that doesn't help me MOVE any faster, and I still tend to run late. I bake cookies for 7 minutes (convection) or 11 minutes (regular).

And the secret to those paint colors? Hand them 5 colors you can live with, and THEN let them choose... :)

That said, The Princess has one wall sky blue, one wall lime green, one wall bright turquoise, and one wall dark teal, and the wainscot is chocolate brown. It works. Coolest room in our house. That girl has even better color sense than I do!

charrette said...

p.s. I am a very shallow yellow, no matter how many times I retake the test. But I still SWEAR I'm blue!

Carolyn V. said...

I want to know more about the snake too. Yikes!

I tried to paint my front room tan once. The paint had a pink tint to it, so know it looks like Barbie's house. Next time, I'm going for red.

Stephanie Faris said...

Have you tried Fuze? I'm addicted to these things...and they have Citrimax in them, which supposedly burns calories. Not sure if it's true or not, but they have a pretty good Tropical Punch. It's kinda pricey -- I end up paying $1 apiece for them (they seem to always be on special) but they're HUGE.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Okay, number thirteen totally cracked me up. You're awesome.

InkMom said...

Please explain -- sister-in-law(ish)? I'm confused.

Blue-Red.

Anonymous said...

Sciatica can go to the devil. Seriously.

Ah, a purple door, a yellow room, and a blue bathroom. All fun things.

Erin said...

Thanks for spelling voila correctly.

I love that you do things in uneven numbers. I want to do that more often.

Migillicutty said...

I have been trying to decide on a color for my room for YEARS.

And Melanie is a nice name, YES IT IS!!

Elder Ostergar said...

Am I considered sister-in-law(ish)?

Amber Lynae said...

So if you are blue and red that makes you purple. Right????

Your paint projects go about at the same pass as mine. I painted one dresser in my bedroom black and wanted to do the chest of drawers so i would have a matching set. That was over a year and a half ago. Still they don't match.

Brillig said...

Oh. Mygosh. I totally could have written the facebook thing. Thank goodness for the hide button!

I set my alarm for 6:21. But my reason is that I can therefore hit my snooze button one time and then wake up for reals at precisely 6:30. Because nice, round, pretty numbers make me happy. And lists of fourteen make me twitch a little bit. Seriously. Ten or fifteen. Or, when they're this good, go with twenty. Ending at 14 is just cruel.

JennyMac said...

AMEN to #1....is FB really the appropriate forum to heavily debate and fight over politics? NON.

Jenny P. said...

I want to be your friend in real life. Really. I do.

You know what bugs me on facebook? When people post quiz after quiz after quiz that they have taken analyzing how sexy their name is or what movie character they would be or who their celebrity best friend would be. Seriously. GO DO SOMETHING ELSE! No one needs to spend that much time on facebook.

Heather of the EO said...

What Debbie said totally cracked me up.

And also, I love how you just threw that snake thing in there with all the ones about colors. No biggie, just a swollen black foot due to a bite and an emergency flight to Bangkok!

Oh wait. You mentioned green and black with that one.

COLOR COLOR EVERYWHERE! mostly red and blue...

I'll stop now.

wendy said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog my friend. Sheeesh, Anonymous sure took me by surprise --but no worries, it's opinions is all I guess.
I don't go on Facebook much --not enough time and I am still not "savy" to how it all works.
Red Koolaide eh - duh. Next time I am in the Harlem (hood) I'll remember that.
Yes Jen is a cool name.
and I like someone who is not "the norm" why wake up at 7:00 when you can wake up at 7:02. Much more interesting.
take care

Aubrey said...

This was hands down the funniest part of my day. :)

Politics on Facebook make me cringe. And I'm a blue/white, aka shy hermit who would go a mile to avoid a fight with anyone.

Mandy said...

How could you NOT know that you were bit by a snake? I know it if a mosquito farts within a foot of me!?

I'm with you on the facebook politics thing. So annoying. I don't care if you are a "Delectable Democrat," a "Rebellious Republican" or a "Loving Liberal." Keep it to yourself and stop asking me to change my status to your latest cause!

Great list! I found you through some blog hopping. I'll be back to visit again.