Friday, November 27, 2009

Wait, does this make me a hippie or hipster? I'm confused.

I would have blogged more this week but we're staying with family that has no TV and so the kids have taken over my laptop for a non-stop marathon of Yo Gabba Gabba DVDs. I think it might be the same as back in the old days when the moms stuck whiskey in the baby bottles to knock the kids out. Now the whiskey comes in a non-alcoholic puppet form that has the same effect.

I have watched myself transform into something nearly unrecognizable on this vacation. For example, I spent three hours last night playing Settlers of Catan. I'm worried I've endangered my right to mock my husband for his shady Dungeons and Dragons past history.

I hugged a tree. It's a hazard of traveling in Northern California, I guess. But in my defense, we were in a redwood forest and my kid wanted to know if we could surround the tree while holding hands. So it was forced hugging, but I think it technically makes me a tree hugger. I feel very used by the redwoods.

I've been eating mostly organic food. And um, it's pretty good.

I have to go now because it's time to chant Kumbayah while crafting corporal representations of tree spirits out of twigs. Or else it's lunch. Time is a weird blur here.

Oh, I'm next at the twig station. See you later. . .

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm OK with literal tree huggers, just not metaphorical ones.

Wonder Woman said...

Settlers is really fun. I found a two-player version that my husband and I really enjoy.

(He has a D&D past, too......and present.....sshhhh....)

Jami said...

Yep, you forfeit all rights to mock D & D pasts.

Where are the pics? I wanna see you in a tie-dye caftan dress with a wreath of flowers. Pleeeease.

InkMom said...

Confession:

I have never seen the redwoods or the sequoias. We're planning a trip, because I am dying to see them. And here's the confession part. When I see pictures of them, I cry, and I don't even really know why. Maybe it's because they have outlasted . . . everything. I MUST see them.

I'm a little weird.

Unknown said...

Geez, that InkMom is just a hormonal kook, isn't she? (JK, E!)

And I would really enjoy seeing you hug a tree. Did you have to stand backwards, because I'm having a hard time picturing little unborn Ur of the Chaldees letting you hug much of anything.

And I will never understand people who don't have tv. It's like they're from another planet. You know, the planet where folks have conversations and read books and stuff.

Kazzy said...

Hugging trees is the best! And it sounds like you really are turning into a No. Californian.

My husband and I love board games, and of course Settlers is right near the top!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I didn't know hippy-ism was contagious. Spiffy! I need to get me some of that.

Amber Lynae said...

LOL I loved this post so much.

I did enjoy Settlers the few times I've played it.

I have hugged trees as well. So I guess I maybe on my way to being a hippy as well.

Dedee said...

I'm all about hugging trees. And I like Settlers.

I guess I'm with you, wherever that is.

Although I do have a TV. Faramir would die a thousand deaths if we didn't.

* said...

Yeah, you know I skipped joining a local writer's group once b/c an anon friend to me that they wrote around a dining room table full of potluck, erm, organic stuff (aka: unrecognizable food matter).

Umm, no thanks. Pass the InNOut burger & fries, could you?

Enjoy the twig time.

PS: Kumbaya is one of my all time fave songs. That is, when I'm dreaming I'm a hippie in the 60's.

Luisa Perkins said...

Dude, you've lost all mocking rights. I speak with authority, having both a shady D&D past of my own and a Settlers + Expansions set.