Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Check it out, yo.

Lately, I've gotten some linky-love for this post I did about a small tender mercy. Karen even made me her blog of the week. So cool.

I'm going to pay the linky love forward today. There are some blogs I enjoy so much, and I think you should know about them.

But first, a giggle. My husband sent this to me yesterday and if you're nerds like us, you'll find it funny. If you're not a nerd, just keep scrolling to find the linky love.

Europe According to the United States of America (click to enlarge)




On to the links!


First up, my friend Susan. Susan and I have known each other since our freshman year at BYU and have several very good friends in common. Back in the day, she and I were mainly just social friends, but a while back we stumbled across each other on Facebook and discovered we have a love of writing in common. I've read two of her manuscripts and people, you should know: she's dang good. Anyway, she did a post the other day that I thought was hilarious about how she met her husband. Per her challenge, maybe I'll tell my "How we met story" later this week. Anyway, check out Susan's post. It's an entertaining read.


Next up, a guilty pleasure. Please tell me you've heard of The Mormon Bachelorette. I LOVE THE FACT OF ITS EXISTENCE. It doesn't matter if you're a fan of the regular show; I'm pretty sure you'll love this. There's a sweetness and sincerity to this project. It's all done via blog with embedded video clips. These are Huntington Beach Mormons which are a different breed than what you're used to. Possibly I'm becoming obsessed with it since I just moved from HB a few months ago and all, but I don't know these people, so I think I like it just because it's charming. To get started, you can meet Aubrey  and watch the Interview with The Mormon Bachelorette. Once you're done with that, you can watch the auditions from her suitors or just skip to this clip and  watch the first date. But make sure you read the recaps, too!


For a change of pace, I have a couple of more for you. I admit, I tend to be a fan of blogs that skew funny or entertaining. Heavy blogs don't do it for me. I think they provide an invaluable service for the people who write and read them, but they just aren't for me. But there are a few blogs I read that are thoughtful and deep without being "heavy." Check these out: Kazzy delivers a small but polished gem every single day at  Kazzy's Ponderings Becca Wilhite is just a delight. It's a lot about writing. It's a lot about other stuff. You'll want to hang out with her. I did, so I did. She's exactly the same way in person. I really, really like her blog and I like her in person even more. Lisa at  Away From It All often blogs about her kids and motherhood and it never, ever bores me. Such a good head on her shoulders. I like hanging out with her, too.


 Steph at Diapers and Divinity is who I want to be when I grow up. She uplifts me and inspires me to do better and more in growing my testimony and understanding of the gospel. But she's not all preachy. She's super smart and totally knows stuff. Lots of gospel stuff. 


Two blogs I'm fairly new to but whose tone I dig are: I just can't get enough of myself and Memories for Later. They're both slice of life but with an underlying sense of humor. It's not so much that they're humor blogs as they are ladies I would totally hang out with who I know would make me laugh.


Now, if I didn't name your blog, ask yourself this: have I mentioned your blog before? Then that's probably why you don't see yourself here. And if the answer is no, then it's probably because I mean to feature you in the future.


I hope your Wednesday is as deliciously rainy as mine.

14 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

What does it say about me that I knew EXACTLY which country was which just by the descriptions...? Too funny!

Those all sound like great blogs. I can't wait to check them out.

Kristina P. said...

I will definitely check these out! It's not like I have enough blogs to read.

Jenny P. said...

The fact that four of the blogs you mentioned are blogs I already read and love make me want to visit the other blogs and love them too... cause, obviously our tastes are similar, yes?

That map was hilarious.

Melinda said...

Map: SO FUNNY.

The blogs, I read some of them so I will have to check out the ones I don't yet.

P.s. I'm OBSESSED with The Mormon Bachelorette! I think its sincere and heart warming and fun, I look forward to each date every day! :)

Susan said...

I'm honored, and I hope you do post about how you met your husband. I love a good love story. Can't wait to check out the Mormon Bachelorette. I want to love the real show, but it's all malarky so I just can't.

LisAway said...

That post of yours deserves lots of recognition. (so does the funny one after it. I need to get doing some linking myself!)

That map was laugh out loud funny. Many times over. Hilarious.

You are so awesome with words. Your description of Kazzy's posts is perfect and I feel JUST the same about Steph. I plan to check out some of the others you linked to, too. And I can't wait to read your "how I met my husband" story". Thanks for the kind words. Very happy surprise for me today. :)

Stephanie said...

Aw, Mel, that is so nice of you to say that about me. I was having a bad attitude day, so your compliments made me feel lots better. Thank you.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I know most of the gals you featured today and I just wanted to applaud as I read. They truly are fabulous and I love that you're giving them some well deserved attention! I need to do that more on my blog!

annie valentine said...

All great blogs, and I love Becca as well. We were in a writing group together for a while, but geography makes it so hard. So do newborns.

Thanks for the birthday wish, good to see your lovely mug around, you're one of the best.

Carolyn V. said...

LOL! That map was hilariousness! What great links. I'll have to check them out. =)

wendy said...

Well, I know you didn't mention mine cause I'm old enough to be your mom.........

melissabastow said...

I feel so awesome for making your list!!!! Also I love Lisa at Away From it All - she's awesome. Also, I need to be reading more blogs, because I didn't know some of them you mentioned. Which is just sad. For me. Also, I must be a nerd, because I thought that map was hilarious.

Charlotte said...

You just made my day! Thanks.

I am in the process of sending my husband that map so he could laugh at it with me.

I'm going to check out the other blogs you mentioned. I've realized I've somehow gotten a lot of the heavy 5000+ words a day blogs in my reader and need to weed them out for things I enjoy reading more.

Unknown said...

Love Kazzy, love Becca, love Steph, and I'm sure I'll love the rest! Off to check 'em out!