Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today would have my mom's 64th birthday and in honor of her, I'm going to not make a big deal out of it, because that was her way.

She lived this quiet, extraordinary life, a small stone with giant ripples. She wasn't one for making a fuss. She liked simple things: action movies, folk art, M&Ms, drugstore brand hair conditioner, oatmeal, pearls, and the mountains.

She was shy. She was beautiful. Her smile could melt stone hearts. She didn't make friends easily because she never figured out where she fit. With the hearing? The Deaf? She married well, but my dad's health made everything a challenge. She raised three kids she would be proud of. She has two grandkids she doesn't know.

She drew and painted and crafted. She taught. You will never see anyone sign a song more beautifully. She worked hard. She wasn't much for housework or cooking. She sewed well. She loved word games and cheated at Scrabble all the time.

She was highly educated. She was a dedicated teacher. She never really believed in herself but I saw her move metaphorical mountains.

She believed with her whole heart in God. She showed it. She lived it. She walked it every day.

She died happy, surrounded by her legacy: children who dropped everything to be there for as long as she needed, for as much as she needed. Who would do it again. Who never thought to do differently.

She liked pumpkin pie. I think I will have a piece tonight.


20 comments:

Barbaloot said...

That was a beautiful tribute! Happy Birthday to her.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Beautiful tribute, Melanie. Have a wonderful day and Happy Birthday to her as well. :)

Vivian said...

This is moving, touching and BEAUTIFUL! Your words have described a wonderful individual. Enjoy your slice of pumpkin pie :)

Susan said...

She sounds like a wonderful mom.

Melinda said...

That was so touching, she sounds amazing. I loved the pictures, she really was beautiful!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother. I'm sure she would be proud of your success!

Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom. You're both lucky; there was obviously the kind of bond between you that allowed you to understand her, to really know her. Not everyone gets that, no matter how many years they spend together.

Kristina P. said...

I wish she could have been my mommy.

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

I miss her. She introduced me to grits. I had to learn how to make it her way! Even though I only knew her for a short time, I feel honored that I was able to know her. She has touched me in many different ways- your father as well. I felt like she was the only person that UNDERSTOOD me. Happy Birthday Bonita! You are missed!

Emmy said...

What a beautiful tribute!

Erin said...

That was lovely. Happy birthday to your mom.

Donna K. Weaver said...

*sniff* Lovely tribute. My mom died when I was 14. You're lucky to have had yours so long.

Enjoy your pie.

The Lovely One said...

No words. :)

Unknown said...

I'm not a cryer. But I feel a little choked up right now. That's how good this is. Happy Birthday to your mom.

Becca said...

Love this. Love. Angel Moms are the second best kind of moms there are. Because of course, we'd rather have the Here and Now kind...

Stephanie Black said...

Beautiful, Melanie! What a lovely tribute.

Carolyn V said...

What a beautiful tribute Melanie. Gave me goosebumps. What a wonderful mother.

Enjoy Birth said...

That made me cry. I am glad you had such a wonderful mother.

amber_mtmc said...

Awww! Happy birthday to your mom. She has many people sending her good wishes.

Kazzy said...

She's beautiful.