Friday, August 12, 2011

Notes from the road

We meandered up to Bear Lake, UT from California last week. Don't anybody go robbing my house, by the way. For one, we have a housesitter who is cranky with strangers and for two, I had the carpets done while we're gone and I'm going to be mightily peeved if I'm not one of the first people to walk on it.

Anyhow, I made some observations on our road trip. You should print these on 3 x 5 cards and keep them with you at all times. Just because, mainly. I doubt they'll actually help you.

1. However many changes of clothes you pack for an eighteen-month-old for the first eight-hour leg of your road trip? Is not enough. Especially not when that precious little girl has eaten eight (yes, EIGHT--they were keeping her quiet) packs of fruit snacks. Here's a hint: three changes is not enough. She will still be down to a diaper when you pull into the parking lot of the Super 8 Motel (we keep it klassy) in Cedar City (I waved at you, Erin!)

2. If you exit for the Super 8 and signal for a left hand turn but then realize that's going to put you on the freeway again so you veer right and then into the correct left hand turn even though you saw NO traffic around due to the late hour, the Cedar City police will pull you over to find out what the hell is wrong with you.

3. If your vaguely vomit-scented baby yowls through the cop's entire conference at your driver's side window, but your husband (who is driving) clearly does not smell like booze, the Cedar City policeman will be very nice and wave you the remaining fifty yards into the Super 8 parking lot.

4. There is a Conoco station in Meadow, UT with a ladies' room you simply must visit. The tampon dispenser has a handprinted sign renaming the dinky wall box the "Ladies Boutique." I sort of love that.

5. I saw a guy at Granny's wearing a cowboy hat and a Billabong t-shirt. This not something we actually see very often in California. (Becca, I did not wave because it was Sunday and I was ashamed to be there.)

6. The chinstrap beard seems to be a hot look for many of the Heber guys. Not sure that's going to catch on.

7. I have just discovered that my toddler is wild for Honeynut Cheerios. I have regained favorite parent status! Yes! Not that it's a competition, honey.

I'm going to go vacation my brains out some more.

12 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I was just at Granny's in Heber, too!

Sounds like you're having lots of fun, despite the diaper stops.

Donna K. Weaver said...

ROFL Cedar's roads on and off the freeway can be a little crazy. I'm glad the cop was decent.

Melinda said...

Sounds like its been an adventure just getting there! I would've done the fruit snack thing too, whatever it takes to keep them QUIET. :) Hope your vacation is fabulous.

Erin said...

I live like 1/2 mile away from the Super 8. You could have used my washing machine!

Having lived in Logan most of my life, I am very familiar with Bear Lake. Have a fabulous vacation!

Vivian said...

The Cedar City cops are not bad at all, try the Fillmore ones...many of us have never been able to get away from gettin tickets in that shall we call it "city"????

Kristina P. said...

Wow, I didn't even know there was a place in Utah called Meadow. I like to think nothing exists outside the Salt Lake Valley.

Becca said...

First: We like to call it the Brigham Young Beard, and we all of us wear it proudly.

Second: Granny's used to be great. Now, you needs to try the Dairy Keen. Bonus? My Kid will serve you your shakes and fries with a smile.

Third: They cowboy hat goes with everything from surf tees to (I wish I was making this up) white shirts and ties.

Wave next time. I'll feed you all (but not fruit snacks).

Kazzy said...

#4 and #6 especially made me laugh. You crack me up!

Isn't Bear Lake incredibly blue?

Emmy said...

Hope you have a great vacation. We have made the CA to Utah road trip many times ourselves.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm glad you're having a good time, baby wardrobe malfunction notwithstanding.

And I'm glad the po po was nice to you. I've always had good luck in southern Utah.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Oh my gosh. This list was hilarious! I don't envy you that drive. Even if you did get to see the "Ladies Boutique."

Barbaloot said...

Granny's! Love that place. I hope you waved to me if you drove through Provo.