Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What I did with my four day weekend

I guess I could have used my four days to rest and rejuvenate. Or even straight up resuscitate, given the craziness around here lately.


But of course, that's not how I roll. I was all homesick for Louisiana seeing the Facebook  posts of my childhood friends' fun-having, so I said. "Fine, then. Massive Mardi Gras party it is." And I threw one.


My mother-in-law made the cutest glittery Mardi Gras cards for me (and I'm an idiot for not taking a picture before mailing them all out). Then we delivered invitations to all the neighbors with kids on our cul-de-sac to join us (because 1. they're nice and 2. they're less annoyed about parades they're invited to) in a mini-Mardi Gras parade. Three rules: can't spend more than $10, must be powered by a kid, must be a bike/scooter/wagon/stroller/etc.


Then I did a bunch of other non-Mardi Gras stuff. And then two days before the party, I really buckled down. We started making paper chains and ordering a king cake for overnight delivery from New Orleans and I cooked a gumbo and then on the day of I cooked a jambalaya. We hung the paper chains and balloons and put out all of our other swag. We decorated our float. My oldest son put his magnifying glass to work and made a sign that said "Laissez les bon temps rouler" (the party cry that means "let the good times roll" that you hear and see everywhere in Louisiana). My husband put together a play list of zydeco music and New Orleans jazz. 


And then we greeted people. 


And here's the outcome. First up, our classy float.

Then the "before" party pictures:

And the "after" party pictures:

So that went well.


And then because all of that wasn't enough, we spent a whole holiday disemboweling our SMALL toy closet under the stairs to reorganize it:
And that's how I spent my four day weekend.

11 comments:

Andrea said...

You sound like such a fun mom! I never think of things like this (and if I did it's not really in me to act on them).

Unknown said...

the party was awesome. But you forgot to mention the begniets (I've forgotten how to apell that already, but you know what I mean).

LisAway said...

I love that Brittany spelled "spell" wrong. :D

Dear Melanie,

You are cordially invited to attend Aaron's 5th birthday party. And plan it.

Lisa

Barbaloot said...

That looks insane! And fun. But mostly insane!! You guys must be the fun family in the neighborhood:)

Karen M. Peterson said...

That party sounds like so much fun!

Susan said...

Sounds like a blast. We spent it baptizing Cole and ordaining Will a deacon. My in-laws and my parents and grandmother came. My brother drove the five miles to the church. Sunday it snowed six inches. Today it's all gone and going to be in the upper 50's. Man, I love Virginia.

Bahaha. It's funny that you hate my captcha because yours is refusing to let me post!!! One more try...

wendy said...

What a GREAT party. You ordered a cake...right from Louisiana??? What kind of cake was that??

did anyone get beads for being topless...J/K

I love parties and it looks like you went to a lot of work.

and whole closet thing....groan!!

Becca said...

I am SO not a partier. But if I were, I'd want to come to yours. Gumbo and Jambalaya. Mmmmmm.

(Also I hate the new word-veris. I'm too dumb for them.)

(Also, also, I gave up fear for Lent.)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Well, it was probably a great bit of real life away from writing and edits. That's good!

Charlotte said...

What a fun idea!

My toy closet is in need of major reorganizing, but even a four day weekend couldn't make me brave enough to drag it all out.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I've never participated in a Mardi Gras but I loved your float!