Monday, July 2, 2012

Tears and cheers

I figure I'm going to spend the first two weeks of August crying. Because I'm lame. Because it's the Olympics. Because I watched the women's gymnastics Olympics trials just now and I cried at least four times.


So stupid.


But here's the thing: there's just something about watching an athlete who has trained for years, who has sacrificed so much, who has worked so hard, who has pushed their natural talents farther than any of us can imagine . . . there's something about watching them stand on the brink of the moment that they have dreamed of for most of their lives--and then watching them make that dream come true.


IT JUST KILLS ME. 


I am a giant bawl-baby. When they stick a landing, or smash a speed record, or slice into the water with a flawless dive: it's a handful of seconds strung together to give them what they think is the defining moment of their lives. 


It's not of course. The thousands of early mornings and late nights, ofdrilling, and drilling, and drilling, of passing over food they'd love eat and skipping parties they'd love to go to, and the injuries, and the falls, and the getting-back-up? Those are the defining moments.


But I cry every time I get to witness the moment it pays off.


So sorry, husband. It's going to be a wet August around here.

7 comments:

Gina said...

Me. Too.

I'll be crying all through the whole darn thing. My husband thinks I'm crazy, too.

The Lovely One said...

I cried all through the trials, too.... as i cry through every episode of SYTYCD. My husband makes fun of me, but just like you said, this is their DREAM, they've given up everything for this one moment,it's so emotional!

And that girl at the trials with the blown out knee-- tragic.

KaseyQ said...

I hear ya! Did you ever see that P&G commercial about moms and the olympics? Boy, talk about a tearjerker. Just think of being the mom of one of those gymnasts, and everything they've sacrificed to help their babies succeed. Kills me!

Becca said...

So should we change all our plans and go to London in August? (I'm game, if you are...)

Cajoh said...

I love the stories of the people from countries that can hardly afford to send the athlete to the Olympics, yet they get a gold medal.

Lara Neves said...

I say not stupid at all. Not one bit. Love the Olympics! And yes, I cry all the time over them. Those Olympians are AMAZING.

Sierra Gardner said...

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who cries!!