Monday, August 20, 2012

Under construction

I still don't like Scarlett, but Margaret Mitchell could WRITE.

I'm wondering if I can. Maybe. I don't know.

Sometimes. That's the answer. Sometimes I can write. Well, I mean. Write well.

I can write fast. But that doesn't mean it's good. And I've been blog quiet in the last month while I work on figuring out the difference. 

I'm nearing the end of a manuscript that is going faster than anything I've ever done, but I'll edit for three times the length of time it took me draft it if it I can also make it better than anything I've done.

I want to honor storytelling, but I'm cursed with the ability to think of words almost faster than I can type them. And because they fall out so easily, I don't always shape them the way that I should. I have worried about form over content, but now I am looking, looking, looking. Picking apart and weighing and testing the sound of things.


I don't know if I have this in me. I don't produce art. But I am learning about craft.

9 comments:

Becca said...

It's amazing how we demand more of ourselves with each book, isn't it? But don't beat yourself up. And maybe don't get ahead of yourself. Lay down the words (and be grateful that they're coming fast!) and worry about the craftiness of it during the next pass.

Your ideas are marvelous. Your words are clever and precise. Your dedication is totally admirable. The finished package will be impressive and delightful. I know it.

Kazzy said...

Some of us envy your ability to crank it out. At least then you have something to tool.

The Lovely One said...

I just finished reading Twitterpated-- I thought it was really cute! I was talking about the ice cream tradition to my BYU alum girlfriend and we agreed that it was nice to read something that had a correct LDS reference for a change! My girlfriend had just finished reading a book where a minor LDS character was going to move to a grain silo because she believed God was waiting for her there!

Crank out those books while you can!

Susan said...

You are a really fast writer. I'm slow and thoughtful. I wish I could be fast and thoughtful. I do have spurts where I pull myself together though.

I can't believe you're almost done with it already. Can't wait to see what you've made it into.

Erin G. said...

Your books are some of my favorite LDS romances I've ever read. EVER! I went to the store today and saw your books on the shelf and wished there was another one out for me to buy! You're a fantastic writer who has awesome characters, great plots, and a way with words. Keep up the great work! I can't wait for your next one! :D

Anonymous said...

I don't blog/comment much these days so take that into consideration at just how much I wanted to comment here today.

While I'm with Becca on how writers demand more of themselves with each successive work, to say that you *don't* create art or that you just throw words out there...well, now you're just being silly.

I absolutely covet-going-to-hell your ability to crank it out but that's the thing--you DON'T just crank it out. You write so freaking well! Like Becca said, your writing is clever and precise. It's invisible! Which just means that your writing is SO CLEAN that I don't notice your writing but I notice your story. I'm lost in it and THAT is the sign of a damn fine writer.

Not just a writer. Not just a fast writer. But a DAMN. FINE. WRITER.

/rant.

LisAway said...

I'm sorry you just got told off by L.t. like that. I hope you're okay. :)

I love reading your writing reflections. You rarely talk about writing and I enjoy the peeks into what it is for you.

Cj Lehi said...

Scathingly honest and yes, all of us think that way. All of us.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I love your writing, Melanie. I'm reading hubby Twitterpated right now and we're loving it. I've loved all your books.

Besides, editing is there to fix the stuff that's not quite right in the first draft.

Which is most the draft for me. lol