Thursday, October 23, 2008

Win THIS!

So, last night, when I was hanging out with a New York Times best-selling author....

Mwah-ha-ha-ha! That's fun to say.

Of course, it's only true if you consider being part of a crowd of thirty fans waiting to get their books signed as "hanging out," but....whatevs.

I went to get my copy of Mistborn 3 signed by Brandon Sanderson at my local Barnes and Noble last night. I stuck around and listened to the Q&A with him and David Farland. I love hearing writers talk about writing.

Sadly, though, the only thing I could think was, "Should I have brought the cookies? I should have brought the cookies. Dang. No, it's best I didn't." Because I made a bunch of baked stuff for my son's school's bake sale today and I had some great chocolate chip cookies and I thought those guys might get tired of being at the store all night and they might like some cookies so I was going to bring some.

But then I thought, these guys are fantasy writers which means they have hyperactive imaginations and much like my older son, might wonder why a complete stranger is giving them treats because my son tells me the same story every Halloween about people who inject trick-or-treat candy bars with microscopic needles full of poison. And yet it doesn't deter him from the sugar. So anyway, who knows what these guys would have thought of some random girl bringing them a plate full of homemade cookies? At best, "How sad that she doesn't have a life," and at worst, "I'm not eating those poison cookies."



Anyway...



I didn't bring the cookies, but I did get a picture:



And a book signed, which I'm giving away! It's freshly autographed and all hard-covery and shiny and stuff.

And since Brandon Sanderson might read my blog today, please enter to win so he doesn't think I'm a loser.


Too late.

Well, maybe he'll think I'm a loser with some people who read my blog.

Here's how you enter. I'm essentially a selfish person and so I'm going to get a little sumpin'-sumpin' out of this today. Leave me a comment where you tell me a book, that if you knew I hadn't read it, you'd say, "You have to read this book." Because I'm always looking for new books. Any genre.

If you haven't read the first two in Brandon's trilogy, enter anyway, because this will make a nice gift for a friend, or you can check out the first two from the library to read them and have this one on tap at your leisure. Because trust me, I rarely read fantasy but I really enjoyed this series. Oh, and you can read my (short) reviews of those books here (and here, for good measure).

And some time next week if I remember, I'll explain while you'll rarely see my teeth in photos.


Seriously, now. Enter! I'll pick a winner on Sunday.

18 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I would've had the same internal debate and would've arrived at the same conclusion.

While at the same time looking at him and thinking, "Oh...the poor cookie-less man" and feeling vast degrees of guilt.

Oh please pick me! I live so far from the hub of things. Fabulous authors don't feel moved to visit towns of 2000 people in the middle of nowhere Canada.

Sigh.

I might win if you pity me enough, right?

Sigh.

Alison Wonderland said...

Ooooo read the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. Ignore the dumb titles and just read them ok? Start with Crocodile on the Sandbank (it's not the best one but it is the first) and then go from there.

Don said...

Since you are clearly a fan of the esteemed Mr. Sanderson, you have probably already read Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, but if not it's certainly one you should check out.

Annette Lyon said...

The Poisonwood Bible. Read it if you haven't. When I finished it, I was simultaneously in awe and depressed that I'd never be able to write that well. I bow to Kingsolver's greatness.

I'm entering even though I already have the book, because I have a friend who's a huge Sanderson fan. She'd love me forever if I won it for her!

*MARY* said...

Alison's comment made me remember my favorite book series; Amelia Bedelia, they're amazing.

Re said...

might i suggest Sunshine
by Robin McKinley :) This book is great and even if its not your typical genre, I believe you will enjoy it immensely!

Melanie Jacobson said...

M: I will put the Amelia Peabody series on the list.

D: I defintely want to read the Alcatraz books.

A: I, too, have total respect for The Poisonwood Bible.

R: Read Sunshine and it beat the pants off those Twilight books.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I just finished reading "The Angels of Morgan Hill" by Donna Vanliere for the second time. It is a great story.

LisAway said...

You mentioned what he'd think about your cookies at best and at worst, but I'll tell you what he'd think MOST LIKELY. "Oooooh! Yum! Homemade cookies! Nobody every brings me homemade cookies!! Why does nobody every bring me homemade cookies? This is the awesomest lady around. I should really give her loads of free stuff or something."

Um, I'm no good at suggesting books, because I have read so few outside of the Victorian era, but one of my favorites is Villette by Charlotte Bronte.

charrette said...

Just ONE?

I think I love books like you love books. (I just don't read as fast!) ;)

The Book Thief
Peace Like A River
The Tao of Pooh
Secret Life of Bees (even though
it's a movie now)
Cry the Beloved Country
A Girl Named Zippy -and-
She Got Up Off the Couch
To Kill a Mockingbird (Best book ever)


and a couple I'm dying to read and haven't yet:

So Strong, Handsome and Brave
The Tortilla Curtain

Oh, and I would have TAKEN the cookies, and then chickened out at the last second and eaten them all in the car on the way home!

Heather of the EO said...

While I Was Gone - Sue Miller

Waking the Dead and the Sacred Romance - both by John Eldredge

Redeeming Love-Francine Rivers

and like Charrette, my fave is To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm pretty sure you've read that :)

Jami said...

Pick me! Pick me! (I didn't enter because I don't know who the author is.) But pick me anyway!!!!!

Dedee said...

Pendragon series. No questions asked. Only don't enter me in the contest cuz I already own a signed copy. My dh loves me--he went to the crazy release party and bought me one.

Loved Loved Loved Loved it!

Anonymous said...

I would second Annette's suggestion of The Poisonwood Bible. I loved it. I also read The Life of Pi earlier this year and thought it was pretty amazing.

Oh, and I came over from alison wonderland's place.

Heidi said...

I'll enter but mostly because I need you to promise to tell why you don't show your teeth in pics (because neither do I. Let's compare notes.) Oh, and a book suggestion: How about Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind by Heidi Ashworth, the hopeless egomanical queen of self promotion?

nano*ink said...

Pick Me! Read The Wednesday Wars! Newberry Honor Book this year, I think. I really enjoyed it...just finished it, you can borrow my copy. I can bring it at Thanksgiving, if you want.

How about "Al Capone does my Shirts"?

Or Maisie Dobbs? My Antonia?

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Dang, forgot to suggest a book!

Umm...

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. Funny, insightful, intense, and really, really funny. Pratchett just can't be beat.

hayley said...

Oooh I love books- count me in!

oreo89 [at] gmail [dot] com