Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cheese!

Another gratuitous Mom shot:


Hope you don't mind. One thing that always made me laugh about my mom was how self-conscious she sometimes was about her smile. I know, right? It's gorgeous. But as she got older, she was more and more convinced that her teeth were ugly or she had too many fillings, or whatever. Judge for yourself:
So silly of her, I know.

You know what's funny?
I've developed the same quirk. I used to have straight teeth, but a couple of years after my braces came off, my wisdom teeth grew in and pushed them crooked again. I didn't mind since my overbite was still gone, but now in the last couple of years, they've gotten just a titch more crooked. The only time this ever bothers me is in pictures, which is why my profile picture is a close-mouthed smile. And my new Facebook profile picture. And most pictures I post publicly.

The reason the slight increase in crookedness bothers me is because of where my teeth got more crooked, so I'm going to show you:

Kinda gnarly, right? While I don't think my teeth look bad at all in person or in a mirror, in a picture, my right front tooth (your left as you're looking), is slightly farther back than it's twin. They're fraternal instead of identical. Anyway, that slight dip back sometimes catches the light wrong and suddenly I'm super Snaggle Tooth. Half my pics come out right, and half, well...see above.

But then I think about my mom. She always smiled big for her pictures. Her slight self-consciousness never stopped her from doing that. What if it had? I wouldn't have all these great memories to look back through. So...

I'm going to smile in my pictures. Big. Lots. Like I do in real life.

And just as soon as I get my wisdom teeth and a little bit of dental work done, I'm getting Invisalign!

And here's another gratuitous shot of my pretty mom, with me on her lap.



Dang, I miss her! She was the best!

26 comments:

Anwar Farooq Rana said...

Nice work.....

LisAway said...

Wow, your mom really was gorgeous. And her teeth are great!

I actually like your teeth a lot, too. Maybe I should say that they look perfectly straight, but I love that they don't have that factory made look that so many previously braced mouths have. I like a little character in teeth.

Super cute baby and mom pic, too.

Debbie said...

I really love your posts about your mom. What a great love the two of you shared. And she was beautiful - just like you. Smile girl:)

Kazzy said...

You're gorgeous. You're mom is gorgeous. Now I feel ugly... :)

Cajoh said...

I inherited a similar smile trait from my mom as well. It seems that our bottom two teeth are crooked. I found those bottom teeth helpful when I was learning to sing because I could tell by feeling where I should be placing my tongue for certain vowel sounds.

Annette Lyon said...

Sorry to break it to ya, but I couldn't figure out how they were crooked until you explained and then I studied the picture more closely. They aren't crooked, not really.

I've got exactly the opposite problem--my right front tooth tries to move forward too much even after braces. It bugs a little, but there's no way I'm getting braces again.

Anonymous said...

Great mom shots. She was beautiful. And you look just like her.

Josi said...

You and your mom look a lot alike, cute pics.

Kristina P. said...

You have great teeth! I am jealous! I should have gotten braces years ago.

Becky said...

You're both gorgeous! And yes, smile away!!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I can keep reading these posts if you're going to make me bawl every time. Heck, at this point, I miss your mom!

I had crooked teeth for years, and I hated my smile. But, like your mom, I always smiled big, even when it meant I hated the pix.

The year I turned 40 I got braces and bifocals. I'm pretty sure that means something.

May I add, you're really working that hat in the last picture.

Chris said...

Your smile is beautiful. Your mom's smile is beautiful.

But, I understand about not smiling. I did that myself for quite a few years. After I realized what I was doing, I almost had to relearn smiling. It was weird.

I just love these memories that you have shared with all of us of your mom! They are really special!

Jami said...

So beautiful. Both of you.

I love that you use the word titch.

nano*ink said...

I am with the non-factory desirable look. You are gorgeous! just sayin'

TheOneTrueSue said...

I love the posts about your mom too.

I can't even tell which tooth you are calling your snaggletooth. They look very even and straight.

I had a true snaggletooth. The dentist pointed out that it wasn't really the tooth that was higher, as much as it was that the gum on that tooth was so much higher than the other ones, and that my gumline was all over the place. He recommended I get my gums cut back, and I did. It made an amazing difference. Suddenly my teeth looked almost straightish. They still aren't, not really, but they look so much better. It was crazy.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I love this...this concept that a mother can so touch the life of her child. Can give her courage in the face of feelings of self-doubt. It makes me want to be that kind of mum to my girls, you know?

And your teeth are lovely!

This coming from a gal who should have had braces but was too chicken...

You'll never see my teeth in a picture. Ever.

Alison Wonderland said...

You're up in the night about your teeth. They're fine!

Your mom is a babe and you look just like her.

Christi said...

OH! I totally see it.

After you said where to look. If I squint and turn my head sideways.

Seriously if you hadn't pointed it out, I wouldn't have seen it. And I really had to look to see what you were talking about.

Heather of the EO said...

I can't find the crooked part, but I understand mouth insecurity. :)

Keep smiling huge, I love it.

annie valentine said...

Love ya, Mel. And for what it's worth, my mom would like your teeth way better the way they are. She thinks teeth are much prettier when they're a little "wavy". Perfect teeth? So boring.

That Girl said...

Killer - when I first looked at the first picture, my first thought was, "great smile!"

First.

Luisa Perkins said...

Your smile is lovely; I had to squint to notice what you were talking about.

Heidi said...

I can't even tell! Your mom is pretty! So are you! Your teeth aren't yellow like mine--try hiding that. sigh.

wendy said...

That photo on the bottom is priceless. What crooked teeth are you talking about???? You have great teeth------and yes, a great smile. I wish I would have had braces when I was young as I hate hate hate my bottom teeth.

Dedee said...

She's beautiful and so are you. I honestly had to really look at where you were ornery about your teeth. I don't think you need to worry about your smile, but I know you probably will anyway. Happy days!

Sheryl said...

Wow you get your beauty from your mom!! You know if you don't point out your flaws nobody would ever notice them. (just being your mother here)

I was jealous that you had the nerve to take such a close up shot of yourself. NO WAY!!