Friday, May 22, 2009

Here it is, at its peak and in all its, um. . .glory. Rock and Roll Family Night. Half of the tables are full of themed baskets each classroom put together and raffled off. The other half are full of donations from local businesses solicited by a team of volunteers for the silent auction. That team included, me, me and also, me. Only me.


I will never do this job again.


This is my rock star husband in the middle, striking a rock star pose. He sleeps with his groupies. I'm the only one allowed to be his groupie.


This is the inside of the video game truck. The outside screens had a Guitar Heroes tournament going on.


This is the rock and roll hairstyling booth. You should see the picture of what they did to me. It comes later. If you're lucky, MUCH later. If you're really lucky, you'll blink and miss it.



These are the carnival games, just getting started. It was hopping all night long. I kept losing my mind and darting in front of people while trying to run around and get stuff done. I think I must have thought I was invincible and therefore impervious to flying softballs and bean bags. Fortune smiles on the stupid and I did not receive any concussions. Incredulous looks from adults who clearly thought I should know better, yes. Concussions, no.






The craft table. The kids could make guitar shaped magnets or decorate cool wooden stars to use as zipper pulls. My husband cut out everyone of those stupid things.





Stadium seating for all the adoring Johnny 99 fans. Remember, I'M THE ONLY GROUPIE. Don't forget or I WILL CUT YOU.




My son and his usual photo robot expression.



A close up of some of the loot.



What happened when I accidentally stopped for a rest in the chair near the rock and roll hair booth. Then I had to announce several things with my hair like this all night. Then my brother took pictures of me with the fish eye lens on his camera. I buried his body beneath the olive tree in the school yard.




Photo taken two days ago as proof that I'm normal looking.












20 comments:

Debbie said...

All the photos except the last two are showing up for me. Bummer. But, glad to know you made it through.

Anonymous said...

You did a terrific job!! I love the look your son gave. Classic.

Luisa Perkins said...

I bow in deep worship. Holy cow. I hope they made a TON of money.

Don said...

If mayhem = success, then it looks like you had a real winner on your hands. Congratulations and take a well-deserved break.

Kristina P. said...

Seriously, this is the coolest fundeaiser I have ever seen! You did such an amazing job!

Unknown said...

Great Scott, Melanie! This was amazing. Honestly, I've done a fair share of things like this and you've left me speechless. No wonder you were freaking out! You're an overachiever!

And you're right, your husband rocks, big time.

And I dig your groovy rocker hair.

In my next life I'm signing up to be you.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You? Rock. End o'story.

Anonymous said...

With the raffle baskets, carnival booths, and craft tables, this bears a very strong resemblance to the carnival/fundraiser that our local elementary school holds -- the one I voted to discontinue in favor of just making a cash donation. Ours also has a dunk-the-teacher (or principal) booth, food available through local vendors, a sixth-grade cake-decorating contest and auction, and inflatables. My vote must have been in the minority, because the event persists. Please don't take offense at my vote -- it's just that I'd rather just fork over some money (and I promise I'm not stingy in such cases) than attend an event, LET ALONE plan and staff and run such an event. It just seems impossible to me that it's in any way an efficient way to raise money once you factor in the exorbitant amounts of man-hours and supplies. But, like I said, some people in my area must love the whole thing. And maybe this is the only way you can get some people to pull out their wallets (as I said, not at all the case for me.)

It looks like you pulled this off fabulously -- in rock 'n' roll style. :)

Aubrey said...

It takes a cool woman to be comfortable with her rocker persona, but you can definitely pull it off. Wish I had been there to see all your hard work come together. I pity the person who gets the job next year and has to try to top your fundraiser!

Jami said...

Oh my. Wow! I cannot believe the scope of this baby. Seriously. You are the best parent volunteer in the history of PTAs. Congrats!

Jami said...

Of course, now they will hunt you down for the rest of your days to do it again. But still. Worth it. That is impressive.

nano*ink said...

The hair is fab...

and congrats for making it through and I am still so excited about your book.
Martha is hanging out with Paula this weekend.
Jane needs to teach you Mao when you are down that way some time. We had a hoot playing it when we were there.
I think Kenny's fam would love it.

Tom said...

I can only imagine how stressful that may have been for you. It looks like it was a success though!

J. Baxter said...

Apparently you just lived my worst nightmare. I'm currently the ward activities person (just starting into year two), and it's the worst thing that ever happened to me. Personally, I prefer ENJOYING myself at these kind of functions - and how that's possible whilst running your tail off organizing and bossing is beyond me!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Awesome! Wow! Girl, you did that all by your lonely? You're crazy. And so is your rock n roll hubby, but boy can he cut.

So what what was the grand total?

Btw, welcome to retirement! You earned it.

Heidi said...

Wow, you rock! You alos look very nice in green. :)

Anonymous said...

WOW. You worked your BUTT OFF, Melanie! Are you exhausted?! It looks incredible. What an amazing thing you did!

Heather of the EO said...

You're alive! You did it!

And it seriously looks like it was a whole lot of work...
not that I didn't believe you, BUT WOW.

Jessica G. said...

Incredible! Looks like an awesome night! Will you and your hair come and help me with a ward activity? The old people scare me...

wendy said...

Rock and roll family night ---wow, what an adventure --JOB--that sounds like. putting something like that together is a LOT of work. looks like fun though