Friday, May 29, 2009

What's up, doc?

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out this morning and I'll be getting Darvocet. I've never had Darvocet so we'll see how it goes. I can predict, if I have the same reaction to Darvocet that I've had to Valium, Vicodin, and codeine (which have nothing to do with each other), that I'll be giggling a lot.

Yeah, you heard me: even Valium, a sedative, makes me giggle. Last time I got a root canal, my dentist made me take Valium before I showed up. I took it ahead of time like I was supposed to and then for some reason sat down to watch one of our BBC Planet Earth dvds while I waited for my mother-in-law to come watch the baby.

On this particular disc, there's this little black bird that puffs his wings or neck or feathers or something out and all of a sudden he looks like he has a blue smiley face. It's hilarious. By the time my mother-in-law showed up, I nearly fell down the stairs I was laughing so hard, demanding to see the smiley bird over and over again. She was afraid to let me walk the two blocks to the dentist by myself. I explained that I wasn't high. Just happy. Not sure it was a good argument.

But I made it to the dentist just fine.

Maybe that's what I'll do after the dentist today...just lay around slurping soup and watching Planet Earth.

Or you know. Sleeping.

19 comments:

LisAway said...

Is Valium what laughing gas is made out of? Or maybe they gave you the wrong drug. Or maybe you're just a nut?

Good luck today!!

LisAway said...

Of course I'm talking about the very best kind of nut! (an almond, roasted and salted)

Kazzy said...

LOL OK, I laughed out loud at your blue smiley face bird story. I rewatched that thing over and over recently when I was clean and sober!

Good luck!

Annette Lyon said...

What an odd reaction! Of course, giggling is far better than screaming is pain . . .

Anonymous said...

Everybody loves a happy drunk (so I hear.)

I hope all goes well and that your prediction of your mood turns out accurate. Take it really easy afterward, too.

Aubrey said...

Maybe you should stick with watching Planet Earth for a while until you see how the meds affect you. Heaven forbid you actually watch anything really funny-- you'd be on the floor! I took half an Ambien once and it made me silly. Instead of going to sleep, I went around giggling and telling anyone who would listen how I couldn't feel my legs.

Wish you were close enough that I could bring you some popsicles.

Kristina P. said...

I hope you don't die!

And I've never taken a heavy narcotic before. I had minor surgery right before I got married, and I had almost no pain, so I flushed my Percocet down the toilet. I work with addicts, clearly.

Lara Neves said...

I say that anything that makes you laugh a lot instead of cry is a good thing. Good luck at the dentist!

Luisa Perkins said...

Laughing is better than crying; I once had nitrous oxide at the dentist, and I couldn't stop crying. Oy.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Unknown said...

Love me some Valium. And when I had my wisdom teeth out it was the only time I've ever managed to throw up on the ceiling. Maybe I'll blog about that sometime.

Best o' luck, or in lieu of that, best o' highs, Melanie!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I get giggly on just about any kind of medication. Even Benadryl. It's kind of sad, really.

Good luck!

Heidi said...

Codeine makes me high as a kite but vicodan just makes me throw up. Not sure which is worse since being unexpectedly high had me sure I was going to die and go to hell for being drug user.

Linda said...

I have had Darvocet and it did not knock me out the way vicodin did! Valium does relax me and I have to say has never given me giggles! Hope all goes well!
xoxoxox

Julie Wright said...

I wish drugs had that effect on me. They make me cloudy and fearful because I know I'm not in control of my mind anymore. Your planet earth story made me laugh. I wish you the best!!!

Stephanie said...

If you find yourself laughing and you just can't step, ask me to tell you all my dentist horror stories. You'll settle right back into a healthy depression.

Anonymous said...

Take it easy and glad you got a good laugh! =]

Carolyn V. said...

Melanie, the little blue bird face cracked me up too!!! I hope you survived...

My father-in-law was given drug when he went in for his surgery. I don't think I've ever recalled him being so happy before. hum...

The Crash Test Dummy said...

hee hee hee. Can't wait to see what you have to say about bikini babes when you're on Darvacet.

Debbie said...

I hope everything went well and you are not too sore today. Or giggly!