Friday, June 5, 2009

Life is like a box of chocolates.

I write for a lot of reasons. Usually I have about twenty and they come in a box that looks like this.
Some people have stories burning inside of them to get out. Some people need a creative outlet for their flood of ideas.

I just really like chocolate and I can't have my daily piece until I write a thousand words. So I write.

This is my grand prize give away today: a one pound box of See's Chocolates. It kind of goes with my Friday Favorites I like to do sometimes, because you'll be getting the mix of my favorite pieces that I stock up on when I meet my writing goal approximately every three weeks. When that happens and I've eaten my last piece of writing chocolate, I march myself to the nearest See's (or sometimes the farther one because there's a Nordstrom in that mall and the siren call of their shoe department lures me to wreck my budget) and I fill a new box with the good stuff.

So I GUESS since this is the last day of give aways, if you want to be entered, leave a comment and somewhere in there add what your favorite kind of chocolate bon bon is. I MIGHT see that one makes its way into your box if you win. I might. And if you don't say anything about the chocolate (we are pronouncing it chock-oh-la-tay today), then you're not entered and I'll know you're just leaving a comment out of pure love.

One of my criqtique partners, Aubrey Mace, knows my love of See's well. She rewards herself with it whenever she puts in treadmill time. I mean, I guess some people would say virtue is its own reward, but virtue alone would never get ME on a treadmill. Anyway, we got to hang out at a writing conference in April and I was all excited to give her a box of See's. And she was all excited to pull out her present for me, which was. . . the exact same thing. So we were both very happy.

Since it's kind of Friday Favorites around here, let's turn to some blog spotlights. Or don't. It's not like I'll know you clicked away. But you'll be sad because it's all about bringing the funny today.

These are the blogs that I never, ever miss. Ever. Never.

A couple of these I'll slap with the following rating: Don't Go If You're Easily Offended, or DGIYEO.

That looks like "Diego," which always causes me great sadness. I want to have a boy named Diego but my husband says "Diego Jacobson" sounds stupid and I'm mad at him for not being Hispanic so that it wouldn't matter if he was named Diego. But we try to work through these things.

Navel Gazing At Its Finest. Really, do I need to say anything? Did you know she posted yesterday? Turns out her sofa didn't swallow her, she didn't move to a cabin in Montana to write anti-technology treatises, and she's not finding herself in an Indian Ashram. She's been hanging out at the pool.

The Lawsons Did Dallas: DGIYEO. I lurk. She never comments back on my blog. I don't care. She's funny enough that I will totally set aside my own narcissism and need for reciprocation so I can read her. She lives in Maine. Weird, right? I thought we sold that lot to Canada FOREVER ago.

Pulsipher Predilections: DGIYEO. It's the weirdest thing. Kristina posts, and then in twenty seconds she has over ten thousand comments. People LOVE her. With good reason. Stinking hilarious and she will go there. You know, there. You still don't know? There is anywhere that will make you say, "Oh no, she didn't." Like you're an "In Living Color" cast member. But oh, yes. She did. She really, really did.

Crast Test Dummy Diaries: Something's wrong with her. Wandering through her blog is a strange and winding trip full of invisible red thread and people named Wolfgang. That's why I go back and back and then I go back. And after that? I go back.

Suburb Sanity: I seriously love this woman. Snark with equal measures of wisdom. Great writer. Do NOT mess with her grocery store.

Finslippy: DGIYEO. Hysterical.

No Botox Allowed: I fell in love with this blog for the title alone. Then it turned out that Wendy is stinking hilarious. She makes fun of herself in a way that invites you to laugh with her.

My Real Life Was Backordered: This is the only blog I read aloud to my husband. I can't get enough. I want every heroine in every book I write to be just like DeNae. I want to help her help people off of bridges and just kind of follow her everywhere, waiting for sarcastic, lovely pearls to drop from her mouth. Then I want to string them into a necklace and wear them as a good luck charm to see if they make me funnier. And since there's something distinctly Hannibal Lecter-ish about that, I'll settle for openly and fervently stalking her blog.

All righty, then. (Don't say that Jim Carrey style. He's not that funny.) Don't forget to name your favorite bon bon for the shot at the See's chocolate box.

And now for yesterday's winners.

The Philosophy Raspberry Sorbet shower gel goes to. . . Annette Lyon! Woot!

And the character naming privileges go to. . .

Oh, dear heaven and all its angels.

DeNae.

29 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

See's Milk Chocolate Bordeaux. If that's all they made, that would be fine with me.

It's my turn to win, Forrest!

Amber Lynae said...

I would love to post just for the love of it, because i love your blog.... however, my love for chocolate is very intense. So I will say that one of my favorites (there are so so many) is just simple milk chocolate peanuts. Can you eat those for breakfast??

Chris said...

Love your blog! :) I don't need any chocolate. I have to lose 10 pounds by July 1st (hysterical laughter fades off in the distance)...

Debbie said...

You sweet woman! I love you too:) How nice of you to mention me. And with such great company.
Now about the chocolate. You betcha I'd love some. My favorite? That is a tough question. I think I'll go with a good caramel.

Erin said...

I am going to have to go check out some of these blogs!

My favorites are haystacks - chocolate with crisp coconut (which is ridiculous because I hate coconut), seafoam (I don't even know what the insides are made of. I don't care. I still eat it.), and chocolate covered caramels. Mmmmmmm.

Becca said...

Crunchy butter toffee. With almonds. Mmmmmm.

LisAway said...

I love that you write for chocolate. That's how it should be. Who needs self-motivation when you can use chocolate? (but I'd never have the self control to keep it to one chocolate a day.)

I love chewy stuff, but not so much with the nuts. But mostly I love the pioneer candy-ishness of the molasses-what is it-crunch? I think that's my favorite (plus you get three sticks!!) I grew up loving that pioneer candy stuff. I like Bit-O-Honey (of the proper texture) too. Mmmm, Old fashioned candy.

So why, in Europe, do they not really do chewy candy? Caramel is never chewy, but runny (which I can handle, too, of course). Chewy candies in Poland are called "dissolving gum" and are really a strictly little kid thing. No Starbursts! Never any chewy caramels. They DO have Reisin, though, so you'd better believe that's a treat I go for over here. I know, I'm surrounded by European chocolate and I'm complaining about the chewy candy. I'll stop.

Carolyn V. said...

Hee hee, Heaven and all it's angels. Ha! funny. =)

I'm going to have to go check out those blogs! I love funny blogs.

As far as the chocolate...*drool*

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I have never had a See's chocolate, so I totally deserve to win, yes?

I think caramel and chocolate are one of the most heavenly combinations EVER.

TheOneTrueSue said...

HEY! How did you find out about the time I spent in the Indian Ashram? MAN. Your spies are EVERYWHERE.

(I'm so glad I'm on your can't miss list. I know it is hard to keep up with my super rapid posting. You know I love you back, right?)

NOW SEND ME CHOCOLATE.

(I think I'm having a cap lock problem today.)

Annette Lyon said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm jumping up and down!

See's dark chocolate marzipan. Best. Ever.

(I won something!!!)

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

PIck me! Pick me! I am the ORIGINAL SEE's addict! My mother and I would go every week and the SEEs ladies knew us by name and knew what we wanted! Peppermint Patties and Pecan Buds, and if my mom was nice.. she'd let me get a scotchmallow and a piece of rocky road!!!!!! LOVE SEE's!

Kristina P. said...

So, I love chocolate truffles.

And I love you. You are too, too kind. I didn't realize people thought I pushed the envelope so much! Just being me!

Aubrey said...

Grand prize, indeed.

But I can't in good conscience say to enter me, since you already so generously gave me a box of See's and I would feel so guilty if the universe saw fit to grant me another that they would probably stick in my throat when I tried to eat them.

AND I don't want people to hate me.

Kimberly-- you poor, deprived child. How have you survived this long without the goodness that is See's? If only I had known, I would have made you sample some of mine at Storymakers!

Sue-- didn't realize you posted yesterday! I'm on my way to read it RIGHT NOW! (The caps lock thing must be contagious.)

Shellie said...

oooh I need to go read their blogs! out of all those you listed I only read kristina and sue so it looks like I'll be in for a treat!

InkMom said...

There's not a lot I wouldn't do for a pound of chocolate. Especially dark, grown-up chocolate. But really, I would take whatever you're giving away.

Stephanie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm laughing that DeNae is naming your characters. I can see it now: "Starlectra and Juan Diego de la Pheromones passed each other quietly in the city park." HAHAHAHAHA!

Honestly, I dont' think I've ever had See's. But I'm a big fan of chocolate. If I had to pick blogging or chocolate, I think chocolate would win. Right now, my favorites are those Lindt milk chocolate truffles. Love.

Amateur Steph said...

Here is a comment just because I love your blog.

Amateur Steph said...

And here is a comment that hopes to win the chocolate. Bring on the caramel and chocolate. Mmmmm.

Emily said...

Chocolate? Who really eats chocolate anymore?

SIGN ME UP.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Did you just call me strange?

Well, I guess it's better than dumb.

I totally agree about DeNae--that was beautifully said, btw.

I'm sorry I've been missing lately. I will be back this weekend.

Chocolate? Hmmmm. Anything milky.

Anonymous said...

I love my chocolate with either nuts or caramel. Plain chocolate isn't enough for me.

I just have to say, the heaven/angels comment had me rolling. I don't know why but I was just giggling myself straight to the loony bin. =]

Melinda said...

I read just about all those already, and I totally agree! Can't miss them!

Okay, my favorite See's is their peanut butter patties! OH HEAVEN!

nano*ink said...

I like the chewy ones with the chocolate on the bottom and the ones that are half marshmallow....for some reason and the nougats...but I can't win so If I do...pick again. I am in a bad sugar way...gotta stop!

oooo and english toffee covered in chocolatay.

charrette said...

I love, love LOVE that you use chocolate to reward yourself through writers' block. I need to do more of that. So send me a pound. I'm partial to anything with caramel and nuts. In abundance. In fact, I'll eat the vanilla caramel chews all by their naked selves (no chocolate coating) and I can't say that about much else.

I love Kristina and Debbie and Sue.
Clearly I need to check out those other chicks too.

oops! that rhymed! ;-D

Linda said...

OK--so you know I don't eat very much chocolate but if I would name a fav it would be dark, dark , dark bitter chocolate! Filled anyway! yummy! Plus you know the dark chocolate has more protein in it!
By the way, I like the name Diego! Work on Kenny some more!!!!

Unknown said...

WOO-HOOOOOOO!! I am TOTALLY cheer-kicking all OVER this comments page! Here I never even enter contests, and on the rare occasion that I do I never win, and then Bing-Bang-BOOM -- I win the Queen Mother of giveaways!!

Oh, I'm going to give this some SERIOUS consideration. I like the way Stephanie thinks; gonna have to riff on that for a while... Although I did promise that, if selected, I would choose the name "DeNae Jolie" because of all the things I already have in common with that other Jolie chiquita. But now I'm not sure she's worthy...

And one hundred million thanks for the extra kind words, darling Melanie! I enjoy every minute I spend over here, and I look forward to seeing your bright smiling face on my comments page!

Love Crash, love Kristina, love Deb, and I'll look into the rest of these ladies' blogs.

Watch this space for my name selection. It will be epic.

Kazzy said...

I just like it brown.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I have to say I have never had See's chocolate, but anything dark and truffle like is my favorite. I'm like LisAway - I don't think I could keep it to one a day, but I love the idea of using chocolate for motivation to get the writing done.