Monday, June 29, 2009

On the down low

My husband and I showed up at a friend's house, stuck the baby on her doorstep with a note tied around his neck and then ding-dong-ditched and ran for the car. We drove at top speed for an hour and checked into a lovely hotel in Pasadena. I'm sure the baby was fine. The note had instructions. It said:

1. Feed.
2. Give juice.
3. Give hugs.
4. Change diapers.
5. Put to sleep.
6. We'll show back up eventually.

See? Fine.

The hotel was lovely but we dropped our overnight bags on the fancy carpet and drove a mile to the Huntington Gardens and Library. Spectacular. There were Japanese and Chinese gardens, Australian gardens, subtropical gardens, desert gardens (full of strangely colored and questionably shaped cacti and succulents [which I'm sorry, but that just sounds like a naughty name for a plant]), candy gardens, Hot Wheels gardens, kitschy gnome statuary gardens, and pink flamingo gardens. Or so I assume. I withstood the heat only long enough to make it through the desert gardens before escaping into the air conditioning of the library.

There's a statue of George Washington and I stared at it while the guard told me to put my drink away and I defiantly swigged it down instead. I didn't get my picture taken with the General or visibly swoon when I saw his actual signature on some documents, because my husband's been slightly testy about the President ever since we watched the John Adams HBO series and I confessed that if Kenny dies first, I'm marrying George Washington.

I saw an original quarto of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing and a Gutenberg Bible. And a bunch of other stuff.

It was a good day.

We wandered back to the hotel and I got a Dove bar and a new book from the hotel gift shop and peeked at the people in fancy evening dress that were milling about waiting for various brides to show up. Then I read for a couple of hours, as did my husband, and then we went to the Happiest Place on Earth:

Whole Foods.

I have heard of its goodness and glory. I have even seen brief snatches of its majesty on Top Chef.

But I had no idea.

We wandered the cheese and chocolate aisles in a happy stupor and planned a date night in the future where we do nothing but hang out in the Whole Foods. That's not a lie. We have one only thirty minutes away. I'm sure it's just as wondrous.

Then we ate at a place
Charrette recommended (being as this was her old stomping ground) called The Parkway Grill.

Oh, yum.

I had pasta in a Thai sauce with duck and then half a roasted chicken that they imported directly from heaven with a side of goat cheese mashed potatoes too sinfully rich to come from heaven, too. Delicious.

The next several hours are a blur as I spent it in a food coma but we eventually made it back to our friend's house and knocked on her door. She gave us back our baby and they seemed to have followed directions. He gave us kisses and played with us the whole rest of the afternoon. Mainly he made up games, like "stick a pencil in this Indian flute and giggle when it falls out" and then you just kind of repeat that twenty or a hundred times. He also likes "roll this plastic bowling ball under the TV stand and then fish it out with the Indian flute" and "climb on Daddy's back while he reads and then bounce up and down" a lot.

I like weekend getaways.

P.S. I get to hang out with LisAway tomorrow, all you snooty-pants bloggers with your regular Utah bloggy get togethers. *Sniff.

28 comments:

Kazzy said...

Number one. We lived in Pasadena for a year during USC days and LOVED it! So jealous...

Number two. I am one of those Utah bloggers, and I wish I could buzz down to meet you and Lisaway.

Luisa Perkins said...

So cool! It all sounds perfect.

Annette Lyon said...

I am jealous on so many counts, I can't even tell you.

Give Lisa a hug for me, k?

Amber Lynae said...

Your weekend sounds like heaven (with the exception of your sinfully good mash potatoes that sounds divine). I am glad your friends were able to follow directions.

I am an east coaster and am very jealous of all the get togethers of the Utah bloggers. Next time I'm visiting I hope they will want to meet me.

Kazzy said...

Oh, number three. I majorly crush on George and John A. :)

Becca said...

Wait - Utah bloggers get together? Who do I need to call?

Or can I just show up on your doorstep (with directions: feed, admire, stroke, feed again.)?

InkMom said...

Sigh. Huntington Gardens.

Sigh. Pasadena.

Sigh. Whole Foods.

You should try Il Fornaio, if it's still there. Go in the back door and just get gelato.

The only cool blogger I have ever met in person is MommyJ, and she's my sister. It's okay, though -- everyone can just keep thinking I'm cool, too, because, I promise, as soon as you meet me in person, that myth is painfully dispelled!

Debbie said...

Yeah, those Utah bloggers irritate me too. If I wasn't afraid of them, I'd complain:)
Have a great time!

Kristina P. said...

I will be thinking of you when I see Crash on the 11th. Not to rub it in or anything.

Lara Neves said...

Weekend getaways rock. And sounds like yours rocked more than most.

Give Lisa a big giant hug from me! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome, even though you apparently ate an entire petting zoo for dinner. And Baby G and I are, like, TWINS! I like rolling bowling balls under TVs and retrieving them with Indian flutes TOO!! How cosmic is THAT??

Anonymous said...

If you ever get a chance to go to the Berkeley Bowl (that's a grocery store) in Berkeley, then you should. LOVE that place.

It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend.

Emily said...

I love how you keep your love alive! Maybe you could give me the name and address of your friend so I can drop of my kids with a note!

Aubrey said...

A Dove bar, a new book, AND Whole Foods?! You're so lucky.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Hugs to Lisa! I think that's the most enviable thing mentioned in this whole post.

What a lovely weekend you had though - I'm so glad for you. =)

Anonymous said...

I'm way jealous of your getaway. The note was hilarious. Whole foods sounds like heaven. =]

Amber Lynae said...

I wanted to let you know that I have an award waiting for you on my blog if you want to accept.

Linda said...

Sounds like a good time! I love Whole Foods! That's where I go in my mind when I am trying to find my "happy space".

Stephanie said...

I love getaways too. Have fun with Lisa; what fun it would be to be a part of that girl's night out.

Julie Wright said...

what an awesome time! My son wants to marry a woman with the last name of washington, take her name instead of her taking his, so he can name his first son george. :) And hey! I'm a southern utah blogger and hardly ever get to see anyone!!

Jessica G. said...

Hey, I totally boycotted that last blogger get-together since you couldn't come! (Actually, the Man kinda decided that we needed to do "household" things and wouldn't let me go play with me friends...but the sentiment is there!)

wendy said...

Sounds like you are having a GREAT time---I love the drive by baby drop off!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

OOOoooooh, so fun. And so well written. I love your writing.

Josi said...

I am so dang jealous of the whole lot of it that I'm not talking to you anymore . . . so there! :-)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You're the winner of our B&N Gift Card Giveaway over on http://paperandparchment.blogspot.com!

I just sent you an email about it, if you don't get it, let me know asap so I can send you your prize!

Thanks for your support!

Organic Meatbag said...

Ooooh, these succulents sound intriguing... what if I were to lay on a bed of succulents? hehehehe...

Heather of the EO said...

Way cool.

I'm in love with Whole Foods too :)

And I'm jealous of the Lisa meeting...sigh...

charrette said...

Please give LisAway a big hug from me!
And -- Did you see Pinkie and Blue Boy? Okay, I know they're sort of nauseating, but super famous!

Love, love, LOVE the doorbell-ditching the friend with your baby! hee-hee!