Thursday, November 19, 2009

Name that tune

I live on Lake Street. I have lived on Laurie Lynn Drive, Brightside Lane, McAllister Street and Van Buren Boulevard at different times. And of course, in Utah there were a whole bunch of those soulless streets labeled with numbers instead of even a glimmer of personality. Of those, the street that best fits my situation in life right now would be Brightside Lane.

If I could make up my own street name to describe my life right now, it would be . . . Bliss Way. Yeah.

Anyway, I was walking down my actual street, Lake, and a snippet from one of my favorite movies ran through my head. I have often walked down this street before, but the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before...

You know it, right? It's from My Fair Lady. I love the song. The only thing that bums me out is that it's that poor sap who's in love with Eliza who sings it. I don't know why I can't remember his name right now. (Yes, I do: pregnancy hormones blocking brain function yet again.) I bet it's Reginald. Poor saps in old movies are always named Reginald. Oh, wait. Nope. It's Freddy. Freddy sings that after delivering Eliza safely home. I always kind of wished Professor Higgins sang that song, but he's not a poor sap, so why would he sing it?

Anyway, I can't remember why I'm posting this other than that I was happy to be on my street the other day. And I had that ear worm. And now I'm going to go write. More. I'm going to go write more. And probably walk down my street again. And sing.

16 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I love that you're feeling this way! Makes me happy. Maybe I'll go walk down my own street and sing.

Annette Lyon said...

That's the first play I ever saw. I had a huge crush on the guy who played him. And I felt terrible that he never got Eliza. Yep, poor sap.

The only street I've lived on with a cool name was Harmaapaadentie.

But when you translate it, it's not nearly as cool: Road of the gray boulder.

Happy Mom said...

Love that song! I strongly dislike the name of my street. It's four words long and is a pain to put on any form.

LisAway said...

That's a favorite of ours, too. Freddy really is a terrible sap, isn't he? And I can't imagine anyone else playing Henry Higgins besides Rex Harrison. Man, he's cool.

Glad you're happy, Lady! Pretty sure my street name's the awesomest, though. Kasztanowa. Ulica Kasztanowa. You pronounce it Kashtanova, (or Kahsh-tah-NO-vah) and street is oo-LEE-tsa. Ulica Kasztanowa. But it just means Chestnut street, which may be a little boring.

Carolyn V. said...

I love that song! I tried to sing it once when I was taking voice lessons. It just wasn't as good as the guy with the crush. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

That's my favorite song from that movie. I feel like it's full of life, happiness, and passion. Like coincidental, yet planned, joy.

Dedee said...

Ooooo! Can I be totally nerdy?

In the original play of Pygmalion, Shaw actually didn't have Eliza go back to Higgins. He did have Eliza marry Freddy (which you found out in his play notes). He actually changed the ending out of peer pressure.

I mean really, who would want to marry that guy?

On a completely different note, I want the black and white dress. Want, Want, Want!!

(And the body to wear it with.)

Becca said...

Overheard at my Kid's high school play practice (after someone asked her what she sang for her audition, and she said "On the Street Where You Live"): "You don't know that song? Well, any time you have an extra four hours, come on over and watch My Fair Lady. My mom's always up for a cheesy musical, and she'll probably cook for you."

Anonymous said...

I love that song. I frequently get it in my head. It never bothered me that Freddy sang it I just felt bad that all those feelings he had hit a brick wall.

Wonder Woman said...

I love the name Eliza. And I HATE that my street is a number. Sure, it makes navigation a cinch, but it's SOOOO boring. And kind of confusing when everyone you know is on 300, 400, or 500.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You know what's great about bliss? That it can be contagious if we let it be. I'm grinning after reading that.

Kazzy said...

I could feel you doing a happy dance through reading your post! So cute.

Are you a journal writer? These would be important things to remember.

DeNae said...

I truly appreciate Eowyn's nerdiness, because I have ALWAYS hated the end of that movie. When he tells her to fetch his slippers, I fantasize about her stuffing them down his throat while singing "The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on Your Self Absorbed Corpse."

Oh, and I totally love the song you're talking about. I don't want anyone to die while I'm listening to that one. My court-appointed therapist says that's a good sign.

Jenny P. said...

I once lived on Union Otto Daycare Rd. Not kidding. I didn't love my street then. But I do love my street name now. It's much nicer.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

How cute! I just want to give you a big hug.

wendy said...

I love the show My Fair Lady and I KNOW all those songs. My parents took me to see it for getting through grade 9 graduation .

YUP ---it really is THAT old.

I live on Ridge Road 3.5 gate #31340
not so romantic