Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blame it on the rain

1. I should never have mocked the rain. It struck back with large drops and total chaos in my life for three hours this afternoon. All is well now, but it really almost got me.


2. One night in my dorm, I heard the strains of Milli Vanilli's "Blame it on the Rain" wafting up through the vents of the girls downstairs. This was long after the song was fashionable. It turns out, it was the girls' background music to the evening's adventure of piercing their belly buttons with the curtain hooks from the kitchen. That still strikes me as a very odd thing to do. Especially since they weren't drunk.


3. Warm rain while the sun shines is one of my most favorite things.


4. I love how concrete smells when it dries after the rain.


5. My older son will try to return every worm washed onto the sidewalk when the rain stops. I think he's a pretty cool kid.


6. I made a made a mad dash to my car through a downpour today and my sweater got soaked. It took a long time to dry. It wasn't quite wet enough to change by the time I got home . . . but I spent most of the afternoon feeling damp. It occurred to me that it's a good analogy for the way I feel after a long crying bout. Not purged. Damp.


7. I still think that rain pounding on the roof is one of the greatest sounds ever.


8. I'm forcibly reminded of how many palm trees surround me once the rain knocks all the loose fronds down.    For a minute, it makes me feel eerily outnumbered.


9. I need to learn more songs about rain to sing to Grant.


10. I like rain for a few days. But not so much after that.

25 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the sound of rain too!

And curtain hooks??! *shiver*

Sarah M Eden said...

I believe you have hit upon a great topic for a future blog post: Things You've Done That Are Even More Surprising Because You Were NOT Drunk. Boy could I offer a few anecdotes.

Jenny P. said...

I heard it was quite a storm... crazy wind along with the rain?

heh. Sarah's idea is funny...

Tracy Loewer said...

Thank you for putting that song in my head! I've had the mini-pops version of The Ting Tings That's Not My Name in my head for 5 days now and I REALLY needed something new. :)

I'm sorry the rain got back at you for the mocking. Stay dry!

Kazzy said...

I like rain, but usually cannt stand to wear it. Damp clothes and barely rained-on hair kind of give me the willies. So I am an umbrella kinda girl.

Yeah, the curtains hooks thing? Ew.

Wonder Woman said...

I love the sound of rain. And the smell of it on pavement. And what it feels like in the warm sun.

You are making me long for a Kansas thunderstorm!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I think there's a Eurythmics song about the rain, "Here comes the rain again..." Something like that.

Carolyn V. said...

Ouch on #2. What were those girls thinking?

I love the rain, but I wonder how long I would love it if I had to deal with it for long periods of time.

Hope the sun comes out soon. =)

Kristina P. said...

My mom's name is Laraine, and we used to sing "Blame it on Laraine." She really loved that.

Emily said...

Looks like you have a lot more coming your way!

Lara Neves said...

I'm sorry. I didn't register a thing you said after the curtain hooks.

Yikes!

DeNae said...

It's coming down in buckets here in Vegas. Seriously, I was hit by a small pail just this morning.

In Puerto Rico, it rained every day, and the palm fronds AND accompanying 8 pound coconuts would flutter to the ground, terrorizing folks waiting at bus stops.

Anonymous said...

I think the sound of rain is one of the most appealing sounds ever.

DaNae's comment makes me grateful for my desert. Without palm trees.

Stephanie Faris said...

Blame It on the Rain? LOL. I hadn't thought of that song in years.

What about I Love a Rainy Night by Eddie Rabbit (?I think?)

Melinda said...

I would say not to move to Washington if you don't enjoy the rain after a few days! :) Love your list, isn't it interesting that we can make a list about something as simple as rain?

Dedee said...

The sound of rain is one of the all-time best sounds!

Awesome post and sorry about the craziness!

Cajoh said...

I have a post from last year about what I consider a perfect rain:
http://cajoh.blogspot.com/2009/06/perfect-rain.html

As for getting rain songs, my step-son made a call out to the Facebook Universe asking for rain songs and got a bunch.

Anonymous said...

Damp clothes make me grumpy.
Rainy days that last more than 24 hours also make me grumpy.
Having to tread out in the icky rain with two babies makes me grumpy.

I seem to be having a grumpy day.

Until you described the belly button scene. Sounds like some sort of initiation rite--If you can pierce your belly button without any anesthetic while sober, you can join our club!

* said...

I'm completely with you on #8 & 10. We have back neighbors with 23 palm trees. Yes, we counted.

And being a desert rat, I agree, the rain is a novelty for the first few days and then it's like, enough already.

Sweet post!

Debbie said...

The piercing thing makes me feel a little sick to my stomach! Actually, more than a little.

That Girl said...

I think my limit is two days in a row.

And I think you should move to Arizona.

And curtain hooks?! I WANT to get them drunk ...

Jessica G. said...

I love the rain...I once left my college political science class just so I could go and stand in a downpour, and if you've never stood in a downpour in Texas, well, then you, my friend, have never truly been rained on.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I'm sort of loving this rain. And I even giggled the other day when we got the tornado warning.

Rain is hitting my window right now and it makes me wonder why I'm sitting here on the internet when there is a mystery on my nightstand begging to be read.

TheOneTrueSue said...

I loved that song. I was so sad when Milli Vanilli broke up. I didn't understand why they couldn't just get the REAL guys who actually sang the songs to make an album.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Being present. Something we struggle with daily.
Beautifully put.