Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Eat with fava beans and chianti

Every blogger (or nearly so) seems to go through these periodic reflective spells where they do this meta-musing on what their blog is all about. Am I a lifestyle blogger? A humor blogger? Do I specialize in snarking? (Yes, I made up my own word. Is there a problem?)

It's normal. We do this same kind of reflecting about everything, probably. I went through this mini-blog identity crisis when I first started. You can kind of see it in the domain name of my blog. "Read and Write Stuff." Of course, mostly I just focus on the writing stuff part.

In the beginning, I thought I would blog about my writing journey and review books that I read. That lasted for a couple of months but I discovered quickly that as much I love both reading and writing, I can say only so much about writing and then I'm ready to move on. It's just not something I can talk about all the time. Sometimes, yes. But not for a year-and-a-half. Reading I could talk about forever, but I have a book group and Goodreads for that.

I got to thinking about this whole identity thing a couple of weeks ago when I think some of you wandering by thought I was having one of these blog identity crises. It was due to a post I did about how I feel guilty that I'm too shallow to spend much time on some of the deeper, richer blogs out there. Several commenters seemed to think that meant that I was thinking I felt I needed to get deeper and . . . stuff. A lot of you were like, "No! Please, continue to be shallow! We need more shallow in the world!"

Never fear. If you fall into deep waters around here, consider it a cosmic accident. Swimming in deep water is neither typical nor intentional on my part in my blog or life. I DO spend quite a bit of time in deep doo doo, but that's typical (although also not intentional). It's also literal more often than I'd like.

Anyway, I know my category and I know it well. I'm not a lifestyle blogger (and we'd be in a lot of trouble of I was. I'll post pictures of my house some time so you can see how much this would be a BAD idea) or a mommy blogger in the sense that I don't really focus on my kids (IN MY BLOG!). And I'm not a reviewer although I'll tell you when I love something. For example, I could tell you where to find some great lifestyle, mommy, and review blogs that I LOVE and read daily. And maybe I will later this week.

Maybe the closest is to say I'm a slice of life blogger. But I thought about that label and realized it didn't fit either so I found exactly the right one: I'm a slice of brain blogger. I just pluck out a cross section of my brain and plunk it down and it is what it is. This blog is my place to spew all the things that I had a talent for writing but no forum to write it in. And the comment box is my personal network of kindred spirits who stop by and confess to being equally crazy.

I love that I can find whatever I want in Blogland. I daily visit slice of lifers, funny ladies, deep thinkers, diligent mothers and reviewers. But for me, it's enough to have a space to dump out the random thoughts that regularly dart across my mental television screen like snippets of the sitcom that is my life or a sound bite from the arguments that occur when my multiple personalities gather in their own version of The View to bicker about . . . whatever.

Thanks for hanging in my neighborhood.

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love that! A slice of brain blogger.

Stephanie said...

I just want to say that we are so much cuter and smarter than the co-hosts on the View. I mean, really.

TheOneTrueSue said...

I think that's a great way to think about it.

And why do we (and by we I mean me too) feel such a need to classify ourselves? We are what we are, the end.

It makes me feel itchy when people put me on their blogroll as a funny lady, because then - what about when I step outside of that box? Will they still like me? And why do I care?

Slice of brain blogger is much better.

Dedee said...

I love it! I couldn't do without that slice of your brain, so keep it coming!

Shellie said...

yeah I like that way to describe your blog. I know I haven't commented much because I've been is a super funk. but i love reading you in my reader :)

Unknown said...

Oh, me too. Totally slice of brain. Occasionally slice of spleen. Once, last November, I was a complete slice of gall bladder, but that was in another country, and besides, the organ is dead.

And I choose the blogs I read the same way I choose my friends - without categories and without modifiers. I get something from each of you that makes me a better person, or encourages or validates me in some way, or gives me the chance to feel superior and self-righteous. All good stuff, right?

Maybe that's why I have this wonderful group of "new" friend, who are as real to me as the people I actually see every day but who live in blogland.

And you're one of them, baby!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I a Whatever-the-Heck-Pops-into-My-Head Blogger. I've been trying to coin the phrase but it's just not catching on...

I gave up finding a specific category for mine years ago. My life isn't focused enough. I'm not passionate enough about any one thing. And I actually kind of like that. My blog reflects my life. When I'm amused, my blog is funny. When I'm feeling soulful, it's deep. When I'm annoyed with my house it's all about the before and after photos (another session of that coming SOON).

This topic of blog identity really is so dang fascinating to think about, isn't it?

Jenny P. said...

Yeah... I sorta worried I was cornering myself when I titled my blog Mommy Snark... um, so what if I just don't feel like being snarky? But I gave that up a long time ago... not the idea of being snarky... snark is one of my main coping mechanisms when things get really hairy. But my blog is, well, my blog is me. Different parts of me - some serious, some snarky, some totally ridiculous. But it's all me. It isn't ALL OF me, but it's definitely all me. Make sense?

Carolyn V. said...

I love that you put down whatever you feel like, It's refreshing. =) Keep it coming Melanie. =)

Karen M. Peterson said...

Wow. You totally just summed up my feeling toward my own blog. Because I write about my life. But I also write about other stuff too. It's not usually too serious, but it's not all light either. And, occasionally, I'm even funny.

Slice of brain. I like it.

Kazzy said...

But I think humorous posts can be just as deep as something serious. Really.

And it is so true that we get in a niche about our blogging. I have a couple of friends that write humor blogs that have had to stop writing for awhile because they couldn't be funny. i think those kinds of blog posts would be so hard to keep up with.

Debbie said...

I think that resonates with most of us. And yes, I was definitely in the "More fluff, less substance" comment category!

becca said...

I (heart) your neighborhood. Thanks for letting me in.

Anonymous said...

I love your neighborhood so keep serving up those brains!

Amber said...

I am grateful to be in your neighborhood.

Personally, I would classify my blog as a crazy lady blog but slice of brain sounds so much classier.

Your writing has inspired me. I can't wait to read your book!!

Luisa Perkins said...

I wrote a post very like this once:

http://kashkawan.squarespace.com/novembrance/2007/3/27/raison-de-blogger-a-bit-of-a-fishing-expedition.html

You are so lovely all the time. Bloggers like you are why I keep breaking my blog fasts and coming back.

Amber Lynae said...

Whatever you call it, I love your blog. So I will always be here to visit.

My blog is just my random thoughts with a picture slapped in there.

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

So thrilled to have found your great blog via Amber at Making the Moments count. You tap into something very universal here. I don't think it is just us wacky bloggers who suffer identity crises from time to time (oh and we do, right?) Everyone has these gray moments where we are unsure of who we are, where the categories don't seem to welcome us, where we kind of float above, looking for a place to land.

Back in September, I wrote a bit about this - http://www.ivyleagueinsecurities.com/2009/09/youthfully-gray/ - check it out if so inclined!

And slice of brain blogger? I think I have found my landing spot. Thank you :)

Lara Neves said...

Love it.

And I always love whatever slice of brain you serve up. Although I prefer to eat it with grapes and cheese, if you don't mind. :)