Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Take a walk on the wild side

I'm a mom of three.
I'm a MOM OF THREE. 3Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

And Monday afternoon, driving north on the 405 freeway, I got a sense of what that means. I was ferrying my newest little one home from an appointment and I realized, "I'm going to be doing this a lot. I'm going to be that frazzled mom in the minivan, running one tyke home from an appointment so I can get back in time to run the tween off to another one."

And I'm not going to lie: I was a little bummed.

What happened to that spontaneous girl that would head off on a road trip just because? Or get a call and head out to a concert an hour later? Or just agree to a last minute lunch with girlfriends without doing the equivalent of a the White House social secretary's job in trying to fit that in between all the million things that comprise my schedule now?

Do you remember how intricate and regimented your schedule gets with a newborn? Because I didn't. Sheesh.

I want to be that adventurous girl again, the carefree girl who nods at passing danger with a twinkle in her eye and who welcomes unscheduled fun with a cackle of glee. 

But no, there I was. In my minivan. Just another sleep-deprived mom driving down the freeway. In my minivan.

My minivan. . .

And then I began to smile. And then I felt a little bubble tickling up from somewhere under my ribcage. And then it escaped as a cackle of glee. Suddenly I realized: I am a woman who IS living life on the edge (as opposed to on the verge of a breakdown). I am a woman with a fantastic sense of adventure who flirts with danger and laughs.

Because . . .

I drive a TOYOTA. 

I get in it everyday and fire that bad girl up and take a Steve McQueen-ish gamble that I can handle the sudden burst of speed that's lurking under my van's hood, waiting to slingshot me into a wild and untamed ride. I am possibly one tap on the accelerator away from becoming the lead story on the eleven o'clock news.

I am a CRAZY, nutjob of a DAREDEVIL.

Me in my TOYOTA.

I'm BACK, baby!

21 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Haha. I love this. And I hope you don't die. But if you do die, you can totally sue Toyota! Yay!

Did you get my email about meeting up next week?

charrette said...

Hahahahahahaha!

And I have to say, my BFF in California was that carefree adventurous single girl and I was the three-kids-in-an-SUV mom. It was perfect, because she shared her freedom with me, and I shared my family with her.

*MARY* said...

This post could be lyrics to a song.
It reminds me of Dead Man's Curve by Jan & Dean.

LisAway said...

Oh DANGER! You certainly haven't settled down YET!

Unknown said...

Who says that driving a mini-van means selling out? You sound good, MJ. Every day a little more managable, I hope! (You know what to do if it isn't...)

Unknown said...

OK, I had to comment again because the last WV was "messe" and this one is "filtrip" and my loony head couldn't pass either of them up in light of this post:

MJ took a "filtrip" to the doctor in her wicked, unpredictable Toyota, and if she hadn't been such an awesome driver, it could have got "messe".

OK, I'm done now.

Cajoh said...

What a cool twist and making it current at the same time.

I drive the danger-mobile as well. But I think that since this car has over 200K miles on it that there is no way I can hope for a recall.

Way to live your life on the edge (of the pedal).

Stephanie said...

Honey, there's nothing more dangerous or adventurous than being the mother of three children. You'll be checking your sanity often and people will say things like "How DO you do it?," as if you'd just scaled a faltering precipice. Trust me on this one. We are in an exclusive club where the cowardly dare not tread. :)

Jenny P. said...

I went straight from one to three... I can't remember it though. Everything is sort of blurry around the edges in regards to those first few months... you know Honda's doing recalls now too? Except not mine. It's one year too old. Kinda sad I'm missing all the excitement.

Carolyn V. said...

It's true. Being a mom is an adventure. Especially in a fast minivan.

When the kids get a little older and you're picking them up from school, crank the tones and start singing at the top of your voice. It's awesome. =)

stewbert said...

*giggle*

My friend was rearended a few days ago ... the rental her insurance provided is a toyota. i told her i admire her sense of recklessness. haha.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Listen, anyone with more than two kids is AUTOMATICALLY living on the edge.

Kazzy said...

I love it. This could totally be an ad for Dodge, or Ford!

And driving on the 405 is an adventure in itself!

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

LOL! Love this post!

Becky said...

You go girl!!

Who needs spontaneity when you can live on the edge like that?

amber_mtmc said...

All I can say is ditto. I'm rolling hard in my Toyota minivan.

Emily said...

Welcome back! LOVED This post! Too funny!

Dedee said...

You've convinced me. I'm totally getting a Toyota when I buy my next car, because I'm never buying another Pacifica.

You're awesome!

Charlotte said...

Definitely flirting with unexpected danger. Although burping a newborn while wearing dry clean only Sunday clothes qualifies as flirting danger, too (in case you need even more adrenalin in your life).

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Boy oh boy do I hear you on this one. Way to find your freedom!

Nishant said...

You sound good, MJ. Every day a little more managable, I hope!
data entry work from home