Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Home sweet home.

We bought a house!


Yeeeeeeehawwwwww!

But I have to confess something and I hope you won't think less of me. Here goes . . .

We went over there this afternoon and I spent two hours caressing it and undressing it with my eyes.

I know, I know, it's so wrong, but it felt so right!

I stripped away spotted carpets and dated tile in my head and then re-dressed it in sexy ceramic tile and slammin' paint.

I'm so excited for when we have that little piece of paper that says that house is mine and I can do whatever I want to it!

And for everyone who has been asking about the details, some time when I can type in longer than five minute bursts (thank you, voracious Mama Juice hog Baby Eden), I'll tell you the very interesting story of how we got it.

But for now, the vital statistics:

It's in Rancho Santa Margarita which is thirty minutes south of us and inland, in the foothills. It's green and rolling and I'll take a mental snapshot of how it looks now in the spring so I can refer back to it when summer heats up and it gets more . . . brown. We've visited our ward and loved it. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and we saw kids close to my oldest son's age playing outside.

The house itself is 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. Two stories, all bedrooms upstairs. Spacious master suite: the freaking closet is 70 square feet. SEVENTY. It may be the first one I don't defeat. Our living room has a nook that screams "make me your library!" and the kitchen, while the victim of mid-nineties golden oak cabinets, has updated granite counter tops that we can work with. The whole thing needs some new tile and paint and that's about it. 

Sooooooo happy!

32 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Ooooh, I can't wait to see pictures!

KA said...

Congratulations! BTW, you're the only other person not related to me I've heard use the term "mama juice".

TheOneTrueSue said...

I'm so excited for you!

crissy // mama boss said...

hooray and congratulations!

Stephanie said...

I'm truly excited for you. It's SO fun to find a house that just feels like a member of your family.

Heidi said...

So happy for you! yay!

peewee said...

OH MY HECKITY HECK. You live practically NEXT to the real housewives of OC! No WONDER you're so excited!

Unknown said...

This really is a neat time. I'm with Steph; it's so great to find a house that fits you as much as you fit it! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks! Bring house pix and paint cards and carpet samples...and we'll plot and plan and just do that thing that girls do with new houses!!

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Sounds awesome! Half the fun of buying a house is redoing it in your head.

said...

Rah! Rah! Rah-rah-rah!

Jenny P. said...

Yay for a new house! I love new houses... if only we could use ruby slippers, click our heels together and be moved in when it gets to THAT part of transition.

LisAway said...

Excellent. I forget about those brown hills. Enjoy them while they're not! It sounds lovely and I can't wait to see pictures.

amber_mtmc said...

Congratulations!! It really sounds wonderful!

Annette Lyon said...

Sounds perfect! (Especially the future library nook part.) Congrats!

Susan said...

Sounds Awesome! Hope I can find one I like that much where we are moving. Now if I could just figure out where that is...

NIKOL said...

oh, congratulations! That is so fantastic!! Can't wait to see photos.

Aubrey said...

Happy new house! I'm so thrilled for you. :)

Cajoh said...

Yea! Congratulations. Can't wait to see the new digs. Now you have to do one of those dreaded things… Pack.

The best of skill in organizing your move,

Amber Lynae said...

I love the honeymoon phase of a new house.... it is when the work starts getting up to my elbows that things get slightly less happy.

I can wait to see pictures of your home all glammed over.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Melanie! It sounds like a slice of heaven. And I'm so envious of that closet!

wendy said...

The name of the street alone sounds magical....or a little drunk with the who Margarita thing. Love It.
Excited for you.
I too think it is so fun to DIG IN and make the house YOURS.

Erin said...

New houses are always exciting. Congratulations to you and your family!

Melinda said...

Oh I'm so jealous! Sounds wonderful, can't wait to see pictures!!

Karen M. Peterson said...

That's SO exciting! Congratulations on the new house. Can't wait to hear the juicy details!

My captcha down below says manhint. I don't know why, but it made me laugh.

Lara Neves said...

So exciting! There's nothing better!

Except maybe a 70 square foot closet. (really? Because I think our first apartment was the same size.)

Kazzy said...

I am so excited for you and your family!

Anna said...

Congrats on the house. Sounds like a good find.

charrette said...

I TOTALLY do that -- buy a house based on the potential I see in it, rather than what's actually there. I must live in some kind of pathetic fantasy world. But it works for me.

And HELLO! Does anyone know how positively HUGE it is that you own even one square foot of soil in Southern California? It is next to impossible to own a home there. SO excited and happy for you!

Debbie said...

Oh Melanie, it sounds perfect! I can't wait to see the photos. And I am beyond jealous of that closet.

Don said...

Woo! This is awesome. Can't wait to find out more about it. Ah, the excitement!

I'd offer to give you some boxes at Storymakers, but I guess that would be a little impractical.

Emily said...

So cool! Post pics!

Dedee said...

Congratulations! Have fun re-dressing it!