Thursday, April 15, 2010

Randomosity

1. "Unchained Melody" just kills me every time I hear it on the radio. It is sung with such longing.

2. I think a three-way tie for first place in songs with lyrics that make no sense but are kind of awesome anyway is: "Pass the Dutchie ('Pon the Left Hand Side)", "Louie, Louie" and "Tub Thumper" by Chumbawamba.

3. Mother's Cookies is running a contest where the winner gets a year's supply of cookies. The prize is paid out in 42 free product coupons.

. . .

Now, I realize that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. But I still have a problem with this.

Let's start with the math. There are 52 weeks in a year. Either they have a serious lack of faith in their own cookies and they think I'd eat them at a pace of less than one package a week, or they have way too much faith in me that they think I could keep a package of cookies around for a week without polishing it off. On my very best behavior, a package would maybe last a day. Maybe. And if it's those frosted circus cookies, those buttery delicious agents of Satan . . .

Look, 42 just isn't enough.

4. I finished my third manuscript this morning. It took me just over five months which isn't bad considering that Christmas and birthing a new baby fell during that time. But it's down right terrible if you consider that it's 30,000 longer than my goal and and at least 15,000 longer than my publisher is going to let me get away with. To put that in perspective for non-writers: that's one third of another book. That's 15,000-30,000 words that will disappear into the hungry maw of my delete key.

Hm.

It's entirely possible I may have to rethink my hatred of outlining in advance.

5. My son had the fifth grade puberty talk. He's been entertaining me all week with his commentary on the booklet they received.

6. I could possibly live forever on food made from potatoes.

7. If I could drive any kind of car in the world, and money and practicality were no objects, I'd pick a 1967 Shelby Mustang. A Bentley might tempt me, but I think the Mustang would win in the end.

8. I found a yummy new treat:
9. My baby girl was an angel today. I love her.

10. I like Green Day all right but I don't own any of their albums, so I'm not sure why I know all the words to so many of their songs.

Happy Friday, friends.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad's first car was a 1967 Mustang (same with my mom's but her's was powder blue). Sadly, he sold his when he went to law school. The pictures of it had to comfort us.

Congrats again on finishing your book! Sorry that you're over your limit but I trust you'll have everything ship-shape ASAP.

And I love Tub Thumper. Something about the beat is just wild fun. =D

Kristina P. said...

That is weird about the 42 coupons.

I have a weird thing with coconut, so I'm not sure if I will try those.

Kazzy said...

I agree about Unchained Melody. Great tune.

And where did the 42 come from? What would you do for the other ten weeks?

Unknown said...

Nonsense songs have to include "I'm Blue" (if I were green I would die, or whatever they're gabbling on the video)

Circus Animals. The frosted ones with the little beady candies on them? I could eat them every day of my life. Every. Single. Day.

Maybe you should just turn the last 30k words of your manuscript into the sequel. Ta-dah! Problem solved!

And why would you tell the Fates that Eden was good today?? Now the universe will have to right itself by talking her into staying up all night or knocking over a liquor store or running for congress or something. Have my experiences with Karma taught you nothing??

Susan said...

A pack of cookies in this house lasts about 30 minutes. I don't know any of the songs you were talking about, except Louie, Louie, and I only know that because we played it a billion times for band, in Junior High. (Oh, but I do know Unchained Melody). I'm so sorry about your mss being way too long. That sucks! Are those 100 calorie things really any good? Happy Friday to you, too.

Amie Borst said...

i agree with the 42 thing. that is just so....random.

congrats on finishing your manuscript! that's completely awesome. i started my second manuscript 5 days ago... :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I don't know if it's a sad commentary on me or just because I haven't had breakfast yet, but after reading all that I'm left thinking, Mmm...potatoes...

Dedee said...

1-It has always been a favorite. Love, Love, Love it!

2-How about "Whistling in the Dark" by They Might Be Giants? I haven't heard the others to compare though.

3-42? Really? Totally not enough.

4-Congratulations! Happy Editing! If you want any help. . .

5-Lol. I had to had the talk with my daughter long before it came up at school, so she was all cool with it.

6-Amen!

7-I'm a Jaguar fan. Love the lines. But Mustangs are beautiful too--especially the old ones.

8-Yum.

9-That's a good thing on both counts.

10-Who's Green Day? I immediately thought of Earth Day. That's how sadly out of it I am.

Happy Week to you!

Charlotte said...

I noticed a decided lack of linkage to the contest...

I agree, one package a day would come a lot closer to a year supply!

We cannot get good potatoes out here. I think they believe that New England is so far from Idaho that they can get away with it.

Good luck on your date with DELETE. I'm sure it will only slightly feel like you're cutting out your soul.

Karen M. Peterson said...

1. Totally agree.

2. I LOVE Tub Thumper and I don't know why.

3. 42 is not nearly enough.

4. Congrats on finishing your manuscript! Can you send some of your magic manuscript-finishing fairy dust my way?

5. Ooh, THAT sounds like FUN...

6. I'm totally craving perogies right now.

7. I love the 67 Shelby. It's pretty high on my list.

8. Going to have to give those a try.

9. She is a cutie. When are we going to get some more pics??

10. I only have one of their CDs, yet I know a lot of their songs, too.

wendy said...

other then unchained melody---I didn't recognize the other songs.
good job on your writing!!!! with everything you have had going on.
42-----what's with THAT number.
Having all those cookies in my house would be figure suicide.

and those treats below-------only 100 calories, wowza

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Happy Friday. What should I comment on first? And what last? I'm impressed about the 30,000 words down the toilet. But depressed that you did it all while birthing a baby. I haven't birthed a baby in almost 12 years and I only have 10,000 words down the toilet.

;)

Can't wait to meet you.

Oh, wait, look at DeNae, she's right again! I'm with you guys on the circus animals, btw