Thursday, April 29, 2010

Untitled (but not poetically so)

The rosy afterglow of a lovely Storymakers conference is fading but I'll have my memories to keep me warm until next year. Well, memories and some extra fat cells. Kim from Temporary Insanity brought me the most delicious Cadbury Canadian chocolate and I gobbled it up. No, I didn't. I totally savored it. Wanna hear a funny story? My kids thought I was going to share it. Ha ha ha! I love my children but feeding them fine chocolate is a little bit of a pearls before swine thing. So . . . no.

Don tried hard to fatten me up too, with homemade caramel apple butter. Doesn't thinking of that make you want to curl up with a novel, a mug of hot chocolate, and apple butter on toast? Yum! Especially on the homemade bread my husband has been experimenting with. Wanna hear a sad story? I didn't want to risk putting it in my suitcase because I didn't want the glass to break. I bundled it up and stuck it in my purse so it would make it home on the plane with me safely. But . . . security wouldn't let me through with it and I had to leave it behind. I have never been so bummed in the security line. Sad!

I brought home another souvenir from the conference, though. A rockin' cough. I get smoker's lung and I haven't even earned it. I'm so lucky! The baby loves it when I cough while she's nursing. She weeps with joy every time.

Here are some more random memories from last weekend: Becca Wilhite wore a seriously cool necklace at Borders. I got a new beta reader. Yay, Eowyn! You are super nice! Luisa can navigate a packed ballroom with a stroller like nobody's business. And when Susan asked me to help her find Kim, I told her I didn't know where she was but that I knew exactly who else to look for. Sure enough, it made me laugh to see Kim at lunch sitting with Eowyn and Luisa, exactly where I would expect to find her.

Amber was really concerned about how the nursing is going with Eden. I love it when people worry about me and ask me how I'm doing. It makes me feel important. Amber Lynae surprised the pants off of me when she said hello at the conference. I had no idea she would be there, so that was fun.

And it took five times as long to link everything as it did to write the post. And I'm totally not exaggerating. I may never, ever link again.

Anyway, I'm off to do some exciting things for the twenty minutes that my husband is bottle feeding Eden. Do you think I can fit in a trip to Nordstrom, dinner with a girlfriend, a refresh on my manicure, four loads of laundry, and a whole house cleaning in during those twenty minutes? No?

Hm. 'Kay. I guess I'll have to settle for wandering through a few more blogs . . .

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

There really are some great people out there.

Kazzy said...

I am sorry about your cough. I am so completely congested that I am barely breathing. Ugh...

And I am with you on saving the good chocolate for those who will appreciate it. At Christmas we always get really good choc from my in-laws, but the kids get Hershey bars from us.

LisAway said...

Loving this post. What a great way to summarize some of your experiences and a little about the people you met. I loved it. I'm with you on the pearls before swine thing. Totally.

I also have a pretty, asthmatic cough this time of year. Spencer loves it when he's half asleep while nursing and I start hacking.

And yes, isn't that the way? There's often only enough time for blogging.

Susan said...

I love that you can keep a playful attitude even in the midst of your terrible cough.

Thanks for the props (that's southern for-thank you for linking my name). That was very generous of you.

I can't wait to read your latest WIP (hint, hint)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I'm so sorry we didn't get to meet! What a disappointment!

As for airport security,if you stick the food in a baby food jar,they usually let you through...at least it worked for me last time.

Jenny P. said...

I NEED some homemade caramel apple butter. Really. It isn't just a want. It's a very intense NEED.

And... I love being in love with my baby girl too. So fun.

Heidi said...

Luisa was there, too!!?!? Now I'm just mad.

NIKOL said...

My sister-in-law and her husband go to Ireland every year and come home with Cadbury chocolates for us. They are indeed divine.

Unknown said...

One of my goals was to meet Luisa in person. And at one point, she was actually in a workshop I was in. She said her name and everything, so I totally knew it was her. BUT I COULDN'T SEE HER! There was this woman sitting next to me whose head - I'm not kidding - was like eight times the normal size, due to a weapons grade application of hairspray. And then Luisa was gone. It was like an Elvis sighting.

I still haven't eaten Kim's candy. I'm saving it for when I can achieve maximum tauntage with my kids.

(WV: umicanga. Seriously? That's like a 40 letter word! What is up with that deranged wv monk anyway??)

Heather of the EO said...

It does take forever to do all the linking. And coughing. Sorry 'boout your cough!

and the terrible loss in security, that's just no good.

Glad you got to meet so many great peeps.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You rock. I am way too selfish with my time to link to people. I really need to overcome that.

One of the things I hate about getting older is that memories seem to become fuzzier faster. Thanks for immortalizing a few...I need to copy-cat you and do the same.

Don said...

Major bummer, Melanie! Next time I'll bring you a spoon, and you can eat it on the spot. (I've had people do that.)

It was great to see everyone.

Sheri, RN said...

So very cool. Glad I stumbled upon your blog - saw your comment on Kristina P.'s blog. Have a great week!

Kris said...

I weep for your homemade caramel apple butter. Sob!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Canadian chocolate!!

As if I hadn't already spent enough time wishing I'd been there!

Hopefully next year.