Sunday, April 25, 2010

We interrupt this blog . . .

So the midwife was all like, "Breathe deep and . . . PUSH!" And then a baby came out.

Then she was like, "Okay, breathe deep and push again!" So I did and then my blogging mojo came out and got incinerated as medical waste.

And that is the only way I can explain the last six weeks.

Occasionally, my blogging cells will rally and try to fight their way to the internet. But then Eden decides to eat (so we're talking every 45 minutes or so here) and she latches her cute little rosebud mouth on and nurses away and then the slight little pool of mojo that had accumulated is drained out with the milk.

So yes, I'm saying Eden has stolen my blogging mojo. And I don't begrudge her one bit. I mean, really:

I'm going to have a problem with that little face? Hardly.

Truthfully, we are still working the nursing thing out and that takes time and logistically makes typing impossible. I still read tons and tons of blogs but this is a little girl who loves her mommy and wants to always be held so that makes it really hard to comment. And the few times she does let me put her down for a short period of time are spent doing things like feeding my family. They are looking all wraith-like. If any one of them lingers in front of the grocery store just a little too long, people try to give them money to buy food. James especially. Between his natural skinniness and the desperate, desperate state of his hair, I think he's developing a reputation as "that homeless kid who rides a scooter everywhere."

Anyway, things have been especially busy this weekend. I went to the fabulous LDS Storymakers conference which was far less stressful than last year because I have a contract now. Oh, but far MORE stressful because Eden came with me which was interesting, plus I had to solve a wardrobe challenge. How do you dress a six week post baby body in something that is flattering and still functional for nursing? Answer: wear dresses that button in the front and have very forgiving A-line skirts and ties in the front that hide your belly. And wear awesome shoes so nobody looks at the rest of your outfit.

I spent the weekend in great workshops and critique groups which was fun. But the MOST fun was meeting/hanging out with all my bloggy/writery friends.
Take this photo for instance:
I'm going to crib my own comment from Crash's comment trail. If you read Crash, DeNae and I, you're probably really worried to discover that we simultaneously occupied the same physical point in the space-time continuum UNSUPERVISED. You are right to be worried.

I also met Kazzy who is lovely. And I hung out with Sue, the One True Sue, the Navel Gazing Sue, who is also my critique partner and WHO HAS PROMISED TO GIVE ME SOMETHING TO READ SOON. Ahem. Not that she's busy or anything.

And I saw our other partner, Aubrey, and we exchanged gifts of the spirit, only mine was shaped like a book and hers was shaped like a one pound box of See's chocolate which made it back home with me already half eaten which is Not Good but Very Delicious.

I saw my college friend Susan (I forgot to get a picture) and my blog friend LT (ditto forgetting the picture). I saw writer friends Annette Lyon and Josi Kilpack and Julie Wright. And I almost don't want to name any more people because the more people I name, it will make me feel worse about anyone I forget.

Anyway, when Eden settles down to something resembling a schedule (and our rule with the kids is: free ride until age 3 months and then you choose a schedule or we make one for you), blogging will even out. The tentative plan is: blog regularly and also have it be. . .um, good.

Just know, I'm still reading even though my comments have slowed down but seriously, blame it on Eden. Not my total inability to do twelve-teen things at once.

P.S. I didn't forget you, Eliza. I just looked hideous in the picture of us together and I refuse to put it up which is too bad because it's a cute one of you.

P.P.S. Does anyone else think that Crash is way pretty?

22 comments:

Kazzy said...

It was fun to be together in person. You were great fun! I am glad you had a great time at the conference and that you are home safe. Your mojo will return. It seems to me like you have it pouring out of you (and I don't mean in your milk).

Karen M. Peterson said...

Storymakers looks like so much fun! Maybe next year...

LisAway said...

What a fun weekend! And with a new baby there are always AT LEAST twelve-teen things on your mind. Most of them things you are unable to do. At least at the time you think of them. Sometimes because you're too busy STARING at your baby! Eden is SO lovely!

I like your three month rule. Spencer's been doing his own regulation very well, but now at 4 months I'm thinking he shouldn't need to eat every two hours anymore (but he goes 7+ hours at night, thankfully). Maybe it's because he's the size of a nine month old and I still haven't started giving him cereal. I'd better get right on that.

Charlotte said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I had two old roommates at that conference and a lot of blogging friends who I'd like to meet. Unfortunately I have no interest in writing books.

I say stop spending time on superficial things like feeding the family and more time blogging. That is my mantra, anyway.

Heather of the EO said...

Why can't you comment with one hand while nursing and doing the dishes? Just move the sink.

:)

I'm glad you had a good weekend with writery pals! You look great. Especially your boots. :)

Susan said...

I feel so special that you included me on your list, and so stupid that I forgot to take a picture of us together. Duh, I had my camera with me. Yes, Crash is very pretty and very nice. I mean, she spend most of dinner all interested in me and my writing. I am forever in your debt for introducing me to Eliza, who gave me a 'skip the slush pile card.' Hello, that's big stuff! And for introducing me to Josi who was seriously one of the nicest people there. Someone tried to interupt us to get her autograph and she told them they would have to wait until she and I were done talking.

Thanks for everything, Melanie. Now I have to get off this thing and go tweak a couple of things in my story so I will have it ready to submit. Woot!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

How cool is it that your verifier says "sting" That's got a bite to it.

Ftr, Susan is way prettier than me, but thanks to the both of you.

I lub the description of Eden's rose bud mouth latching on. SIGH! Is it bad to say that I lubbed nursing so much. Enjoy it. And don't worry about your blog mojo. It seems perfectly in the groove to me.

It's kind of a curse to have so many pretty little thoughts and ideas in your pretty little brain, ain't it? Straddling the world of the living and the world of the living-in-your-head is tricky, and often leads to the desperate condition of our children's hair.

And then on top of all that you've got your fashion needs to tend to. You have WAY pretty legs. Good choice to accentuate the post-pregnancy positive with those A-line dresses. You looked hot. Especially with the hint of red in your hair.

I feel like I lost my blogging mojo somewhere between transitioning the fam from Hawaii to Utah and getting asked to rule and reign over a bunch of Young Women that I knew nothing about.

SIGH!

Hey, and btw, just between the two of us, I could feel the sting in your eyes at the end when the conversation turned to an alleged circle of friends retreat. Don't worry, girlfriend, I felt the same out-of-the-loop sting, as it was my first time to hear about it as well.

But life is about choices and we can't be all that to all them. ;)

Am I right, or am I right?

Miss you!

And I miss Eden too!

Kristina P. said...

I wish I could have seen you and Eden while you were here!

Annette Lyon said...

Eden is one of the cutest babies I've ever seen. (Photos don't do her justice.)

Crash is gorgeous and awesome.

And I'm hating the fact that I didn't get more of a chance to talk with you guys!

Unknown said...

Your baby is darling, darling, darling. And Crash is right; it's weird how much you miss nursing when that time in your life is over. Yes, we were the dynamic trio, huh? And as soon as I finish this bag of cookies you gave me I'm going back on my diet. Cuz I can't keep blaming the photographer for every picture of me where I look like a bowling ball on stilettos. I'm starting to think it really is me.

Carolyn V. said...

Melanie, it was so fun to meet you this weekend! The conference was great and your baby was a doll! What a great time we had! Can't wait for next year. =)

Anonymous said...

It was so great to meet you. I can't wait to read your books, when they come out. I want to learn more about the characters introduced in boot camp.

With all the busy classes, I forgot to get you back your review, since we got cut short in boot camp. I'll put it on my list, and email you my thoughts!

Kris said...

6 weeks post-baby, I was still wearing spit-up covered pjs and never noticed if my nerps were even covered up. Kudos to you for leaving the house, let alone looking cute!

Heidi said...

yes, Crash is way pretty but so is Kazzy and L.T. and, um, I already forget who else you were pictured with. Anyway, you look awesome. Eden is A.Dor.A.Ble.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Your little one is your mojo. At least the mojo that counts. I am glad you enjoyed the writers conference.

What with my hectic schedule as a blood courier I do not believe I will ever make one. But your pictures helped me feel as if I were there.

May your Muse catch you by surprise, Roland

amber_mtmc said...

I understand! Nursing is just not compatible with typing.

I am so happy that I was able to chat with you for a few minutes. It was so nice to see your delightful Eden and hear you silly sense of humor. It makes me excited for next year!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hey Melanie J. I just came back to see if anyone thinks I'm pretty.

hee hee

J/K. I miss you! That's why I came back.

And now I'm laughing at DeNaes bowling bowl on stilettos imagery. She's got a knack with description.

Melinda said...

Aww, awesome! I'm a little jealous, would be so fun to get to do something like that and meet all those fun people! Glad you did it, and you're awesome to brave it with a new baby!

Anonymous said...

All of you are way pretty. Too pretty...I shall have to remedy that. ;)

Great to see you, Melanie! I only wish I had gotten more time with you and all those awesome people!

Debbie said...

Envy is a bad thing but I'm having it right now! Looks like so much fun. And I'm sure you'll get back your mojo. Eden is far more important than us, anyway!

Julie Wright said...

I hate that I got to see you in passing only. This is ALWAYS my biggest weekend of the year and it is so sad that I miss out on hanging out. But you looked great and Eden is beautiful. I wish I had an excuse that cute for why I neglect blogging all the time.

Lara Neves said...

So I saw your fabulous shoes on Crash's blog, and I just have to tell you that they rock.

That is all.

Oh, and I'm so happy you had a fabulous time at StoryMakers!