Monday, July 26, 2010

On the other hand . . .

The universe giveth and it taketh away. And then it giveth again.


In my old bathroom, I didn't have any natural light. I had very poor light. Imagine a single bulb, hanging from a chain in a musty room presided over by a Central American guerilla soldier, dangling cigarette and all.


Have you imagined that? Good. My old bathroom wasn't that bad, but it didn't have any windows. Just sayin'.


Anyway, my new bathroom has a big ole picture window. Right over the tub. Think about that for a minute. I take a bath and it's just me, the hummingbirds and the backyard neighbors enjoying the view. Of me. Because there's a picture window over my tub. What the what?


So this picture window sheds lots and lots of light all over the place. It sheds so much I have to use a lint brush to remove all the extra sunlight from my clothes. On the upside, it's way better for things like applying eyeliner and plucking stray hairs putting on mascara. 


But . . . it's also the reason I discovered new wrinkles. Not the eye ones. I don't mind those. It took a lot of smiling to get those. And ditto the mouth brackets. I earned those through honest laughter. The ones between my eyes are not my favorite, but I thought hard and worried long to carve those furrows out.


No, these wrinkles are on the cheek and only show up in very strong sunlight when I tilt my head just so, and they look like pillow creases. Did I really earn permanent wrinkles by sleeping too much? REALLY? Whatever happened to beauty rest?


So on the one hand, I've got new lines. That's sad. But the universe giveth, too. Guess what showed up on my cheek under my right eye?


A heart shaped freckle!

Yeah!


Good trade!


(Pictures to come.)

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I prefer it being very, very dark. I discovered a gray hair today. Waaaaaah.

LisAway said...

Oh, how awesome! Now you won't have to wear those little face stickers! You have a perma-one!

Susan said...

Mouth brackets. I'm always trying to describe those things and I didn't know they actually had a name. Or maybe that's a made up Melanie phrase, but I love it. My bathroom does not have terrific light, so I have to keep tweezers in the car so that when I find a stray hair I can pluck away. Ewwww.

Jenny P. said...

My last house had a picture window over the bathtub. So very convenient... that house had so many huge windows though, and we had neighbors, we we had blinds up within a week. In our house now, we have nobody to spy on us but the wildlife.

Becca said...

Yeah, okay, I have WAY more wrinkles in my kids' bathroom than in my own - so I find it easy not to share their products (or go looking for my own when they migrate to the other room...)

Unknown said...

That pillow wrinkle is the reason I sleep suspended by bungee cords in a zero gravity oxygen chamber. I guess I just care more about my skin than you do.

Carolyn V. said...

A heart shaped freckle? How cute! I can't wait to see the pics. I am getting more wrinkles too. I'm not too pleased.

Kazzy said...

I am nuts for freckles. Seriously!

Dedee said...

I love natural light. . .but not so much right above the tub. I've yet to figure out why people do that. A window in the shower?

No, really I'm not an exhibitionist!

Clear shower stalls? Not my thing. (We went in to a house recently and it had a beautiful master suite that had no door between the bedroom and the bathroom and the shower stall was clear. Um, no.)

Yay for the freckle!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

How cool is that?

And I'm with Susan in thinking mouth brackets is just an awesome name for those around the mouth lines.

amber_mtmc said...

Where do you find a light brush to brush off the excess light?

Braden Bell said...

Ok, this approaching the fine line where I decided, "Hmmm, as a guy, it's best not to go there..." but I think it's still on the safe side of the line. So, I'll just say I laughed at this. It reminds me of how I feel about my gray hairs. I earned every single one of them. But when the stubble on my chin started coming in gray, that was different. I didn't like it at all.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I started to be a little worried the day I realized I have the tiniest hint of the beginning of crows feet. And then I realized, Hello! I'm 33. It was bound to happen sooner or later. And you're right. I earned those!

And I really like your optimistic attitude. New lines? Bleh. Heart shaped freckle? Awesome!