Monday, September 20, 2010

Pleased to meet you

I got the best compliment EVER on my writing a month or so ago. I was meeting with my newly formed critique group (there are three of us and the other two are awesome) and we were still feeling out each other's writing styles. I was going through a new chapter in my manuscript, reading aloud, when Rachel stopped me and asked, "Do you watch Gilmore Girls?


I laughed.

Um, yes. In response to one of Karen's posts on the first blog post I ever did, I dug mine up to discover that it was about the Gilmore Girls and how it influences my writing. I kind of love that show. And own all the seasons on DVD. And watched it every day for two years. 

So, yeah . . . it's reflected in my writing. I try for a lot of sharp, clever banter. Banter is just kind of what spews out when I write dialogue. It's fun. I guess when my first book comes out in March you can see whether I hit the mark or not. Anyway, Rachel (my critique partner) says, "Your stuff totally sounds like Gilmore Girls."

I thought that was pretty cool but Kristine, the other part of our trio, jumped in. "Yeah, I can see that. But the difference is that Gilmore Girls was on at the salon the other day and if you can't see it, you can't tell who's talking. They all sound the same. With your stuff, I can totally tell who's talking even if you don't identify them."

How COOL IS THAT?

It's an overstatement, sure. But I sure liked hearing it.

Anyway, part one of my post today is that compliment because it totally made me happy and I was thinking about it again today.

Part two is that Karen commented that she thought it was funny that my very first blog post just dives right in. No introduction, no this is who I am, no small talk.

I'm sure doing it that way made sense in my head at the time. Like maybe I figured I had just filled out my profile for Blogger so I didn't need to put it in the post. I don't know.

But I guess I better rectify the oversight now. Allow me to introduce myself:

Hi. My name is Melanie Jacobson. I'm a wife, mother, and writer, in that order. This blog is a slice of my brain. I thought I was going to write about writing and review books I read, but I only do that a little. I get kind of bored if that's all I talk about. Mainly, I ramble. I talk about my kids and my husband. I talk about my friends and my philosophies. I don't talk about crafts unless it's to whine because I'm craftarded. I blog to hang out with grownups. I do that less now because I have one more kid than when I started and she's little and likes to be held and loved. It's just a change of seasons and they'll change again. I love my life. I hope I reflect that even when I'm complaining about poop diapers or grocery shopping. I'll be around your blogs often. Thanks for coming around to mine.

19 comments:

* said...

I'm craftarded, too, glad I'm in good company.

And what a compliment on your writing! I don't know what Gilmore Girls is, but they sound fun. (I'm TV-tarded, too...)

I enjoyed reading your re-introduction. Nice to meet you, I'm Terresa. :) hehehe.

Unknown said...

I've seen a couple of episodes of GG, and I think your writing is better. So there.

LisAway said...

Oh, hi! I'm Lisa. I'll take your word about the compliment, as I've never seen Gilmore Girls. However, I can't wait to get your book. And then the ones that come after it.

Stephanie said...

The pleasure's all mine. :)

Elder Ostergar said...

I love the word craftarded!
Maybe I'll be back to my blog when I finish recovering. I spent 4 days in the hospital, having emergency gallbladder surgery. I'm on the mend and it is going to make a huge difference. Love that I can hear about your kids and awesome husband. And glad you are my friend on facebook. I will never ask you for anything on facebook!!!!

Becca said...

Okay, so I don't watch enough TV to know anything, but I read enough to know a compliment on voice. So, yea for you. And yea for a great critique group. Write on.

Annette Lyon said...

What a great compliment! (You DO write great dialogue, by the way.)

I haven't ever seen GG. (Gasp!)

Kristina P. said...

I had to be told that the Lost Boy on The 19th Wife was from GG. I've been so deprived!!

And I'm sure you're more awesome than any of those writers.

Jenny P. said...

Just so you don't feel totally alone with Gilmore Girls, I loved the show too. I don't think I watched the last season though... I'll have to get it on DVD.

I feel like I know you already, but it's nice to read your introduction anyway.

Susan said...

DeNae's right. You're writing is better than GG. And craftarded? I had no idea there was a word that described people like me. There are too many times when I can't think of the word I need. I'm going to start making up words too.

Melinda said...

I like you. :) Compliments are the best!

Braden Bell said...

Someday, I might be handy enough to be considered craftarded. Not that I do crafts, but as far as my home improvement projects go, I'm pretty un coordinated. I don't watch GG, but that's great that the cleverness shows up in your writing!

Carolyn V. said...

I am afraid to dig up my first blog post. I remember how horrified I was after I posted it, but it's still there somewhere. =)

Kazzy said...

Very nice compliment. The writing on that show was so quick and real and catchy.

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you, Melanie. ;)

March! Wow! I'm so excited for you. =]

I've never seen Gilmore Girls but I've heard it's witty. =]

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm cracking up over craftarded - me too!

You're fab and maybe your books will inspire TV shows one day. (Gilmore Girls is FABULOUS)

Christiane R. Woerner said...

I've never seen an episode of Gilmore Girls, but now my interest is piqued. I've read your first book (at least a pre-draft) and I can hear your characters quite well. Maybe that's because I've spent some time listening to your wonderful stories. Write on, my friend. It's so nice to meet you.

Alison Wonderland said...

Love Gilmore Girls.

Fantastic compliment.

Nice to meet you. (I don't think I ever introduced myself either. I figure that a post or two will do that as well, or better than I could ever do intentionally.)

Charlotte said...

I have a horrid confession. I've only seen one episode of GG and I didn't like it so I never watched again. I know, I'm only pretending to be a 30-something Mormon female.

That being said, the compliment was fantastic. Nice to meet you, can't wait to read your dialogues.