Sunday, March 13, 2011

Win a book. Yay!

Do you ever feel so full of blessings, you're sure you're going to 'splode?


I LOVE MY LIFE! I am possibly the most blessed person in the whole wide world.


After a fun week of seeing old friends, hanging out at Disneyland, celebrating Eden's first birthday, and enjoying some new milestones as a first time author, I feel well and truly sated with life. YES!


Time to celebrate by giving away another book. This is me, visiting my first print child at the only LDS bookstore in Orange County. It required a field trip and it was totally worth it. 

If you would like to WIN one of these little beauties, all you have to do is leave a comment on today's post. That's it. That's all. That's everything. Ready, set, go!  (Reminder of what it's about: Ashley Barrett doesn’t want to get married. At least, not anytime soon. She doesn’t care how many of her friends and family members and fellow churchgoers had weddings before they finished college — the last thing she needs in her fun-loving twenties is the dead-weight of some guy. And that’s why she created The List. By the time she completes all twenty-five goals — from learning a language to skydiving to perfecting the art of making sushi — she’ll be more ready to settle down. Maybe.

This summer in California is a prime time for Ashley to cross two items off the list:learn to surf (#13) and have a summer romance (#17). And Matt Gibson, the best surf instructor in Huntington Beach and the most wanted guy in the singles ward, is the perfect man for the job. Ashley hatches a plan to love him and leave him before heading off to grad school in the fall (#4, get a master’s degree). But when Matt decides he doesn’t like the “leaving” part, Ashley’s carefully laid plans are turned sideways. Now Ashley faces an unexpected dilemma: should she stick to the safety of The List, or risk everything for a love that may tie her down — or might set her free?)



Oh, and this week's theme is fashion, so I'll be announcing other prizes tomorrow, but the book is a separate giveaway so I'm trying to keep it simple. But there will be cool handmade jewelry and a ridiculously cute dress up for grabs, so keep an eye out. 

And in other news, this is my week in bullet points:
  • failed miserably to eat right and actually felt good about it
  • went to boot camp and wasn't the worst one (YES!)
  • Eden started a torrid love affair with her new Cookie Monster doll
  • Painted my nails purple and went to a Mardi Gras lunch
  • made Cuban chicken skewers with lemons from my neighbor's tree
  • killed and replaced a bromeliad
  • got in barely any arguments with my first child
  • got to #7 on the Deseret Book romance list
  • won some Facebook Scrabble games
  • bought a new pair of shoes. You want to see, I know. Here:


They're Jessica Simpson brand. It embarrasses me every time I see a pair of shoes and go, "Ooh, they're cute," and then they're Jessica Simpsons, but it.just.keeps.happening.  They gay guy on the phone with me at Zappos assured me that I had impeccable taste because wedge espadrilles are the hot thing this spring. Well, gay guys know these things, I guess. But I already had a cute pair of red wedge espadrilles LAST year. Was I ahead of the trend or is he behind it? Whatever. I was just looking for a cute neutral shoe to wear with my cute spring skirts so I can shake off the wear-yoga-pants-everywhere-winter-Mom-funk. These should do the trick.

Oh, and not many of you hopped over to read the interview Sarah Eden did with me. I'm not trying to boss you or anything, but you might want to do that. This is LisAway's comment on my Friday post, totally unsolicited. I'll let her convince you. (All emphasis is hers--I just copied and pasted):

I just came back because I want TO YELL TO EVERYONE WHO SEES THIS THAT YOU MUST CHECK OUT THE INTERVIEW ON SARAH EDEN'S BLOG.

SO WORTH PROCRASTINATING WASHING DISHES FOR. CLEVEREST THING I'VE READ ALL... WEEK? MONTH?

Okay, I'll stop shouting.

Her words, not mine. But do what you gotta do, know what I'm saying?

Especially if it's commenting on the post to win a copy of The List! Contest ends Saturday. Ish.

55 comments:

The Lovely One said...

I love the shoes, and I'm still hoping to win a copy of your book!

Tori said...

I am so happy that you had a great week! I am looking forward to reading your book!

Tracy Loewer said...

*covers ears* Stop yelling already - I read the interview and it was awesome!

Kristina P. said...

I hope you wear those with Daisy Duke shorts while writing around on a car.

Vivian said...

I have an Eden, too. They are just HEAVEN! I hope I win!

{autie} said...

oh, I really want one...planning on buying it, but really...if I can win one, that's even better!

LisAway said...

I wore espadrilles all through high school. They did not look like your espadrilles.

And if you had eaten right this last week it would have been unforgivable.

And thanks for making me famous and sharing my bossy streak with all the world. Really, though. Everyone should read that interview.

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

HOw the heck do you say the shoes? Would love to win. Come up to the Washington LDS book store. In spokane. We'd love to see you!

Becca said...

This is me being proud of you. And your book. But mostly you.

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I lived in a warmer climate because I want to wear those shoes right now! Unfortunately I have lots of snow on the ground.

Sarah said...

I laughed my way through the interview... and I want this book. And the shoes.

Barbaloot said...

Ooh-I wanna win! (Although, if I don't it's very likely I'll buy a copy of the book anyway.)

Susan said...

Is that the bookstore out in Upland? I go there every time I visit Bryan's parents. I was standing in that store on my birthday the day Elizabeth Smart was found. One of the cashiers there told me they'd just heard it.

I love that store!!! That is so cool that you got to stand next to your book in that store.

Congrats, again!

(PS: psst, I'm still waiting for my book.)

kathee said...

I love me some wedge espadrilles!!! And I'm SURE I'll love your book!

Carolyn V said...

Melanie!!! Congrats on your book! I just love the cover. I can't wait to read it! =D

Enjoy Birth said...

I finally found your blog! I want to win a copy of your book! :)

~T~ said...

Don't let the bromeliads get you down! I recently discovered that the ones in my garden had been decorated. Small stones and a ceramic seagull appeared, delicately balancing on the tops of the towers of leaves. No one admits to placing them there. Perhaps the local raccoons have an eye for beauty.

I'd love to win a book!

Maggie said...

Enter me up please.... How's that for grammar?

Melinda said...

I love you, we could be such good friends in real life! I SO WANT YOUR BOOK!

Dan and Cat said...

Me! Me! Me! Please! :)

Lexie@BookBug said...

I just saw your book in stores and it looks so cute! Can't wait to get a copy of it!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Lisa is absolutely hysterical, and one of the awesomest blog friends ever. Love.

I'm behind on blog reading but I always make a point of reading INFF because Sarah is awesome like that. Her awesomeness plus yours? Wow. I'm going to be blown away, aren't I?

I'm really fond of the word awesome today.

Awesome.

Wonder Woman said...

I went into a Seagull the other day for banks for the kids and nearly died when I saw your book staring me in the face. It took IMMENSE amounts of willpower for me to not buy it. Payday is tomorrow, though and I WILL buy it then!!!!!!!!!!!

Linda said...

Love the shoes my dear! How funny that we just spoke on the phone about "shoes".
Love you.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read The List. You look so proud, standing next to it! I'm headed over to Sarah's blog now!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Oh my gosh, those shoes are so cute!

And yay for making it to #7!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Yay for you! You are living the high life, girlie, with those purple nails and wedge espadrilles. LUB me some wedges. And you always have the cutest shoes!

7 on the romance list. Wooohooooo! I bet you'll climb higher soon.

I haven't received my copy yet! And I'm s'pose to review Thursday. Eeeeeek!

Erin said...

I loved that interview. I wish I lived closer to you so I could glean a little fashion sense from you.

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

Want to win something! Anything! Looking forward to seeing you soon! :-)

Emmy said...

I just ordered the kindle version after reading Erin's review, I was hooked after the first chapter-but still hoping to win the print version, something about having the real book.

Congrats!!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Yay!! What a fun week!! Checking out your interview now. :)

Tracy J said...

Hey...that's the bookstore I work at.....YAY....wish I was there when you were! :) So great about climbing the Deseret Book Romance ladder woo hoo

Don and Tiffany Cochran said...

I just downloaded Kindle on my iphone and now I am reading The List on my iphone.. So good!! Would love to have a book with your signature!!!

Jaime said...

Can't wait to read the book!!

Emily said...

You always crack me up! GO MELANIE! You deserve all the satisfaction and happiness in the world! What an accomplishment!

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

You are so much fun! I can't wait to read more of your blog! I'd also love to win that book!!

Crafty Mama said...

Cute shoes and a good book! The perfect combination.

Eric and Katie said...

I would love to win a copy of your book!

Amanda said...

I would love to win a copy of your book. If not i'm going to run out and get it!

Booklady said...

This sounds like a wonderful book and I'm inspired to create some lists of my own. Maybe I'll create a really cute journal to keep them all in.

bevarcher (at) me (dot) com

Jessica G. said...

Seriously need help with the fashion...If I ever have to make a public appearance, I'll have to hire a stylist so I don't end up looking completely ridiculous.

mevans said...

I'd love to win a copy of your book!

Laura Morales said...

looking forward to reading you book!!
cute shoes by the way

Kate said...

Congratulations on your first published book. That picture was totally worth the field trip!

Unknown said...

I wanna read your book and find out what happens!

Melodie said...

I would soooo love a copy of your book!

LisaAnn said...

I love those shoes. Please sign me up to win a copy of the book!

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

I so want to win your book!!!

Rebecca said...

I NEED to win your book!

Tarmy said...

I'd love to win your book. I just read about it on the ldsfiction blog and it sounds fun. And now, I'll have to go read your interview since it seems like this is your first book. Congrats!

tarmy dot lunt at gmail dot com

JJ said...

I would love to win your book. I'm now being a stay at home mom and would love to read again!! hugs

Becky M said...

A clean romance, set in Huntington Beach? Sign me up!

Elder Ostergar said...

I am in love with yor book. I want to talkto you so bad. We will chat when I get to tend yor kids!

Don said...

So happy for you, girl! Very exciting.

val of the south said...

I do judge books by their cover...and yours is a definite winner!!