Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Dear bloggers,

I'm grateful for all of you who still come around when I'm serving up everything I blog drenched in lame sauce--if I serve it up at all.

Now that this author thing is a semi-steady gig, I'm trying to that hokey-pokey voodoo dance where I have time to write, revise, review manuscripts for others, blog, comment on blogs, and oh, yeah . . .

THE HOUSE.

And THE CHILDREN.

Them, too. I'm trying to mother and housewife and maintain a Zen thing where the incessant screaming rolls off my back because it only stops when I play with them and I JUST CAN'T DO THAT THE SIXTEEN HOURS THEY'RE AWAKE every day. I wouldn't even if I didn't have other demands on my time because I'm not that mom, the get on the floor mom.

Did you know, and I have empirical proof of this after two boys in a row, that if you play Hot Wheels with a three-year-old that he is the only one who knows the rules for winning and that no matter what, he's always going to win? And also pitch a fit when you break the unspoken rules of Hot Wheels? The first of which (and of course I can only guess here) seems to be that you must never, ever do anything with your Hot Wheel that is cooler, faster, or higher than what he does with his Hot Wheel or he will scream and turn purple.

But I do try to play with them during the day. We do floor time. This usually happens when the two smallest ones start draping themselves over my laptop. I think that's a hint. And I get them out of the house at least once every day, and no, I don't mean we walk to the mailbox. We actually go somewhere. It's best for all our sanity that way.

It's hard, though. The balance thing.

So thanks for dropping off nice words or LOLs in the ever-dwindling comment box on days I don't rant about why Grease is not good clean family fun, etc.

I appreciate you. And I solemnly avow that when my Nigerian friend sends me the Timeturner I ordered, I will do a far better job of getting to your blogs from now on.

Love,

Melanie

14 comments:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I heart you, Melanie. You are awesome. :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

I think doing this writing thing while my children were young would have made me nuts. That's the one advantage to having started so late. Good luck!

Vivian said...

Good luck in everything you trying to handle. Without a doubt, you are doing the best of what you can do. Don't worry about not coming around "often." Your writing is the best and that's a great gift from you!

Stephanie said...

We're still here. Avoiding our own floor time, you know.

:)

Kristina P. said...

You are still one of my favorites.

Becca said...

You know I come by every day, comment or not. But I have no frame of reference for TV - because my attention span is wrong for it. Also, I avoid vomit-inducing situations on principle. :)

But you do good work, sista. And I'm happy that you're here.

Barbaloot said...

Grease isn't good, clean anything fun.

I like playing hot wheels with my nephews cuz they can make the cool car sounds that seem to genetically appear in all boys.

Carolyn V said...

Aw. <3 Love the post.The balancing act thing is tough. Wish it were easier.

p.s. your blog rocks.

Cajoh said...

We're all trying to balance our way through life. So glad that you can enjoy that time with your children. I'm sure they will be telling you when they are older how they loved it when you played with them on the floor.

LisAway said...

laughed at the image of the kids draping themselves over your laptop. I usually take that as a hint, too. That and when the baby starts to cry when I open up the computer (a hint that maybe when it's open I'm on it for too long.

Also, please take a picture of your purple child after you do an awesome stunt. I want to see that.

Rachel Sue said...

I totally know how you feel. Except for the author gig part. But everything else, YES.

Unknown said...

I think we're all feeling like this, one way or another. Jenny P asked if we readers thought blogging was dying, and I sincerely hope it's not. I can't speak for everyone, but my summer has been insane. I read every one of your posts, on my phone, where it's too complicated to comment. But yes, I'm still here, my friend, and I'm always happy to read anything you can post.

wendy said...

Ah....the whole Balancing act...the life long challenge and mystery
and besides, my hubby is 63 and still wants floor time (tee,hee)
I am sure there are irrevecable (sp) rules regarding HOT WHEELS.

blogging is an interesting thing....why do we feel guilty when we aren't posting.
ME...because I feel I will loose readers who will loose interest.

BUT....we my take care of those things that are LIFE LONG LASTING
and
blog when we can
we'll be here for ya

Karen M. Peterson said...

Wait a minute, wait a minute. You mean you have a LIFE? Like, OFF THE COMPUTER? Whatever.