Sunday, September 25, 2011

Still paddling

So I inadvertently stumbled on a brilliant marketing plan to get people to book signings. It's pretty simple if you don't mind the total loss of your dignity: have a very public breakdown immediately before a big signing. Then everyone you know will come, just to keep an eye on you and make sure you don't lose your . . . ahem, JUNK.


I won't be repeating this particular feat in the future, but as it turns out, the signing I did this past Thursday in Utah was superfantastic. There just isn't a less cheesy word for it. My camera died after the second picture I took and my sister is holding the ones in her camera hostage, but let me sum up:


SUPERFANTASTIC.


It was busy the whole night. I saw writer friends, and childhood friends, and long ago job friends, and blogger friends, and college friends, and friends of my parents, and IT WAS AWESOME.


This is me with Sarah. We've been best friends since we were nineteen and bonded over our mutual love of Audrey Hepburn.




Sarah Eden and Josi Kilpack are really fun to sign with, in case you were wondering. And DeNae came early, brought bottled water, monitored the refreshment table, left late and I didn't even ask her to. She's just made of glitter and fabulousness and it was all knit together with the sure knowledge that she had to keep an eye on me in case I fell apart.


But I didn't! Because DeNae was there. As were SO many of you: Wonder Woman and Vivian (delightful to meet you in real life finally!), Stephanie from Diapers and Divinity, my former editor, my blog friends Kazzy, Becca, and Crash who have become the dearest of friends well outside of blogging. Writer friends I won't claim because they could have just as easily been coming to see Sarah or Josi, but it was really fun to see Julie and Heather and Annette there.


Then the next day I had a lunch with some truly spectacular women:


And I found a lot of peace in this less-than-two-day trip.


There are times I've wondered if writing makes sense for me to do. It's that pragmatic part of me that worries about stuff like whether writing time would be better spent doing other things. But I've come to the very distinct conclusion this past week that writing is what I should most definitely be doing. I'll tell you a couple of stories about why soon, but in the mean time, if you want to hear what a couple of more people thought about my book, you can check out Kazzy's review here and Chantele's review here.


And I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the next giveaway of my book, so once I've figured it out, I'll let you know. I know I should be a little more on top of my game with that, but to be honest, I kind of cut back on worrying about stuff like that this week in the interest of enjoying my life.


Guess what? It worked.

17 comments:

LisAway said...

I'm very, super glad that is went so well. And that DeNae kept you from falling to pieces (which it sounds like you wouldn't have anyway, but just in case). Love the pictures. I'm happy.

Susan said...

I'm so sad I'm not loaded and can't afford to go to all this stuff. But I'm so glad you had a great turnout and that you had such a good time.

And doesn't Sarah look so good with that preggo belly.

[Stacia] said...

I SO wanted to come but couldn't.
:) Glad it went so well!

Kristina P. said...

I'm so sad I was learning about stupid drug addicts in St. George! Not the ones in St. George. I was actually literally in St. George.

Unknown said...

It was great to have you here! We had a lovely time, both Thursday and Friday (lunch was awesomer than the law should allow.)

And I was happy to keep fudge in the bowl and water on the table, because it gave me the chance to gab and hang out with all our pals. Gabbing and hanging out: They're my super powers.

WV: cemel
Ce Mel have a mini breakdown
Ce Mel get over her breakdown
Ce Mel sign a zillion books
Ce Mel sign some signs with a deaf woman at the signing
Ce Mel in her awesome shoes and groovy purse and luscious hairdo
Ce Mel lunch with a bunch of people who love her

Becca said...

It was lovely. Lovely to have you near, and to see you in your Mel-ish glory, and to find that you are stronger than you thought you'd be, and oh -- the RockStar part. Don't forget that part.

So glad! XO

(DeNae's is better, but my WV is Untensor - as in, this weekend was a major untensor for our Mel.)

Stephanie Black said...

So glad everything went well. I wish I could have been there!

Melinda said...

Ugh. One of the many reasons I miss being in Utah! I would have LOVED to have been there! I'm so glad it was such a good experience!

Vivian said...

You MADE my day! I went home so excited to tell my family about such special meeting. You were who I though you were, and I don't necessarily mean it physically (although that, too) but in your personality and charisma. I started reading the book today...again you have such a GIFT! xoxoxo

Jenny P. said...

Your name dropping has me jealous in ALL kinds of ways.

Stephanie said...

So proud of you Melanie. Almost as proud as I am just to know you.

The pictures are darling, but oh my goodness, did you see that grimace/pout on Natalie's face? I'm glad I'm doing such a good job of raising happy children.

Kazzy said...

Fun to see you! I am telling lots of people about your book!

And Communal rocked!

Alyson said...

Wish I could have been there, it sounds like it was great. I finally got your new book from my sister and after staying up until after 2am this morning reading it has been reaffirmed to me that you are an amazing writer!! Thank you so much!

Carolyn V said...

It looks like so much fun! Congrats on all of it!

Annette Lyon said...

How could I *not* go when three friends are all signing their books? (Plus, I got to talk to DeNae and a bunch of other really cool people.)

I'm glad you know you should be writing. It's a very personal decision, and one I know I don't take lightly.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I so wanted to come to this, but I was in Disneyland with my grandkids. What can I say? Your cheeks just aren't squeezable enough.

Great pictures!

charrette said...

Now I AM the one who looks pregnant.
False positive.

But that lunch was so amazingly perfect and paradisiacal. (Ha! First time I've ever used that word ourside its more familiar context. ) More for the company than the food, even.

SICK that I couldn't make the book signing. But I KNOW there will be more! So many more!

xo