Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Recap!

I went to the LDS Storymakers conference last weekend. It was as fantastic as usual. I think I like it more and more every year because I have more and more friends to see there when I go. It helped that I was way less stressed than last year about teaching. I taught on how to find your next story idea and I feel like it went well. So yay for that!


And in case anyone didn't already know, I didn't win the Whitney award for romance. However, as it was noted to me, I got nominated for my first two books. Ever. Both of them. And that's not small potatoes. And I actually called who I would lose both the Whitney for Romance and the Best New Novel awards to and I was right. Or maybe the better way to say that is that I called who would win those categories. For all I know, I lost to everyone else in those categories, too. Which means that I must technically have even lost to myself in the romance category. Weird.


But I am not sad. So no pity in the comment trail, okay? I spent an evening with some of my most favorite ladies laughing until I cried and corrupting one of our youth. I wore several fabulous pairs of shoes and I think I placed in the top five of the Whitney evening gown competition (that was only in my head). 


And I'd post a bunch of pictures of stuff except I used my phone to snap them, and it's a little harder to put on my blog than on Facebook. Sorry about that!


But that's okay, because pictures take me a WAY long time to do, and I need all my time because I'm on a tight deadline for next week and I'M GOING TO DIE. Maybe. But probably not. But it's going to be rough. I'm having to hire a babysitter for 7 hours tomorrow so I can work. I hate doing that, but I hate being stressed out about deadlines and therefore cranky to my children even more. So blow it all out in one day it is. 


Anyway, I just want to end on this note: I have a very hard time expressing exactly how much I dislike Cristina Aguilera. It's up somewhere around a lot + infinity. And counting.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's true, you were nominated for your first two books! Who can say that? Ever? I'm happy for you!

Best of luck with the 7 hour writing tomorrow! Hope it helps with your deadline!

Barbaloot said...

I'm sorry for you that you have a deadline looming, but happy for me since it hopefully means I get to read another one of your books soon:)

Also, how can you hate someone that wears sparky underwear as pants on national TV? (Yes, that was dripping with sarcasm)

Stephanie Black said...

It was great to see you! I wish we'd had more time to talk. And your evening gown was gorgeous.

Huge congrats on having you first two books both be finalists. You are amazing!

Susan said...

Rah-rah-shish-boom-bah! Gooooo Melanie! (That's my cheer for you to finish your WIP.)

Andrea said...

Congrats on having two finalists! Such great books.

Donna K. Weaver said...

It was so much fun to see you again. And you're right--your first two books were both nominated. That's a wow in my book. You looked great, btw.

Kristina P. said...

I will cut someone for you.

Kazzy said...

It was so much fun to see you and to corrupt that youth together! Congrats on the attention you have received for your books. You deserve it!

Melinda said...

Seriously you looked HOT, your dress was gorgeous! I think its awesome you get to go to it, how much fun would that be?! I want to know more about this Christina Aguilera thing, what is it that you hate the most?

Jenny P. said...

Guess what? I'm totally going to be there next year. I know this because I know I can NOT have any more babies thus keeping me from making the trip. So save me a seat, would you? Pretty please? I promise to smell good.

I saw a picture of your dress on facebook, and it was fabulous.

Becca said...

So I wasn't really sorry that I missed the Whitney dinner until I saw your pictures of THAT DRESS. Oh, sister, that is one lovely dress. You likewise (you are a lovely dress, apparently is what I just said to you, and I hope you know what I meant, and that possibly the words "your mom is a lovely dress" just went through your head.)

wendy said...

I am not a Christine Aguilara (or however you spell her name) either. I seem to have seen more clevage and "nipple sightings" from her this year on the Voice.
Give it up already.

Keep up with your writing, it is an amazing talent you have. No nipples required.

Eliza said...

Wait, who else was in the top five evening dresses?? And of course you were in it (and that's without me even seeing anyone else). You're GORGEOUS. And so was your dress!

And also, Becca I just love that you went to a "your mom" joke. You're my favorite.

Janette Rallison said...

You were corrupting youth? Dang. I knew I left the Whitneys too soon . . .