Friday, January 2, 2009

Check out the tim tams on that girl. Are they real?

I was sitting and getting a manicure and pedicure for my birthday last week, reading US Weekly and minding other people's busines, when a picture and news item in the back of the issue caught my eye.


It was a picture of Hugh Jackman. And no, that's not why it caught my eye. Not that he isn't eye-catching. But the picture revealed that Hugh and I share a great love, a love that can now be realized.

It is the the love of Tim Tams.

That's not a euphemism for something naughty. They're Australian cookies. I first tried them when my son's step mom (who is Australian) brought me some back from one of her trips home, and then consigned me to thinking of them wistfully and never being able to taste them again. She's nice like that. You can't get them anywhere in the U.S. I even tried to get Trader Joe's to carry them with no luck.


However, the makers of Tim Tams have now struck a deal with Pepperidge Farms and Target to distribute their tasty deliciousness here in the U.S. I ate a whole bag by myself the other day.

So, I give you Tim Tams as my Friday Favorite:


I mean, I really DO give them to you as my FF because I'm GIVING SOME AWAY! The caramel ones, because they're my favorite. And yes, I realize you can buy them from the Target on your corner for cheaper than I can mail them to you, but 1) I am a control freak and this is the only way I can ensure that at least one other person experiences the joy of Tim Tams, and 2) I'm just an incredibly generous woman and am willing to do this for one lucky person.

You can enter by just making a comment saying that you want them. Or share a Tim Tam experience. Or curse me for introducing these just in time to derail your New Year's good eating resolution. Whatever! Just make a comment.

And if you just have to know more, you can read about people's obssessive love here:

The number one chocolate biscuit in Australia, Tim Tam cookies are truly irresistible! Beneath a smooth layer of heavenly chocolate fudge, between two layers of crispy biscuits, a mouthwatering layer of chocolate creme awaits. Pepperidge Farm is pleased to offer Tim Tam cookies in two delectable varieties - Chocolate Creme and Caramel. Available exclusively in Target stores nationwide, Tim Tam cookies are sure to bring deliciously sweet cheer to families this holiday season.

With such a loyal following, it's no surprise that Australians consume over 400 million Tim Tam biscuits each year -- that's 35 million packs. And earlier this year, a joint poll by The Times in the United Kingdom and news.com.au in Australia ranked Tim Tam as one of the best inventions since sliced bread. Tim Tam came in at number four behind stiff competition: The World Wide Web, penicillin and the TV remote!

Pepperidge Farm Tim Tam cookies are available from November 2008 through March 2009 at Target stores nationwide, with a suggested retail price of $3.39. For additional information, please visit www.pepperidgefarm.com.

I TOLD you I deserved a cookie.

31 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I've never even heard of these! But since they are chocolate, I'm glad you shared these with the world.

You are a saint.

Don said...

I'll bite! (Hahaha - I crack myself up)

I'm a giant fan of Violet Crumbles - another Australian goodie that can be hard to find. Mmmm.

Amateur Steph said...

Please, please, please, send me some. By the time I get them my chocolate (deprivation) challenge will be over.
I particularly like the "Satisfies a Woman. . ." ad. Mmmmhmmm.

LisAway said...

I was so happy when I read a while back on one of my food blogs that Tim Tams were coming. YUM!! My brother in-law brought back a bunch of them from a trip he took and returned from just at the time we flew in for a visit, so we got some of the goods. There were some strawberries I remember as being my favs. But, you know, I think I could go for caramel, too. Oh yum. (consider me entered and I'll give you a US address!)

TheOneTrueSue said...

Chocolate is not on my diet, er, I mean healthy eating plan, but FOR YOU, I will sacrifice.

Annette Lyon said...

I've spent three of the last four days gutting kids' rooms. I SO deserve a cookie.

It's time for lunch. I was going to go for healthy, but after that Tim Tam description, I'm going to need some kind of chocolate. Sheesh. Way to blow my diet. :D

Anonymous said...

I would truly love some!

Josi said...

I just took down my Christmas decorations AND I'm driving my daughter to her friends house. I WANT MY COOKIE! btw, I told my husband that story and I might never get to brag about my less-stellar accomplishments again :-)

Alison Wonderland said...

Do I need to start hoarding them? Apparently they're only available for a limited time.

Kristina P. said...

I think you should add an "N" on to the Tam part, and send it over to TAMN for the surprise party. How happy would that make her! I'm sure it wouldn't go to her head at all.

Chris said...

I can't WAIT to drive over to our Target to see if they have these!!!! YUM!!!

I used to live near the Pepperidge Farm factory and occasionally one of my friends who worked there would bring me a five pound bag of Milano seconds. HEAVEN ON EARTH! :) I had to freeze some of them so I wouldn't eat them all at once!

I sure hope they still have some Tim Tams left!!! I feel the need to help the US stats reach 400 million Tim Tams eaten too! :) Heck, I don't care if they are good! I just like saying the NAME! :) Australians have the coolest names for things!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

It's a good thing there isn't a Target or pepperidge farms anywhere near me. Another chocolate item to be addicted to may not be so good. :) (but put me in the draw anyway :)

Linda said...

WOW--they sound wonderful-I want some!
How many Weight Watcher points per serving??????
Love you!

Heather of the EO said...

mmmmm, tasty treats.

And I'm not just commenting for the first time in days because I want your tim tams. I'm catching up. So now I'm off to read your other posts I've missed. Yup, prepare for a bunch of comments from me in a row. Sorry to overwhelm you...

Dedee said...

Um, me, please!

No really, me.

Jami said...

Me. After all you already know my address. :D

Jami said...

Oh yeah. Please.

Emily said...

The name of this candy is a little naughty . . . when I read the title of your post, I wasn't expecting to hear about your undying love for chocolate!

It sounds delicious! Maybe I could win two of your contests? :) Hey, if I don't win this go around, I will drive myself down to Target and buy myself some because if it tastes anywhere near as good as your fudge . . . well . . .I'm pretty sure I'm gonna fail at my mew 2009 weight loss goals.

Also, I sent some blog bling your way. :)

Chris said...

I just found out that these cookies are named after a horse that ran in the 1958 Kentucky Derby! :)

Here's a coupon for $1 off. I was very happy to find this. It will let you print off two of them.

http://www.ilovetimtamcookies.com/index.html

Chris said...

I can't WAIT for Target to open tomorrow. :)

http://www.ilovetimtamcookies.com/Gallery.aspx

I'm going to feel so TRENDY! :)

Julie Wright said...

I love the ad for these on satisying a woman . . . HAHAHAAA they sound good . .. i might have to go to Target. I'm really not nice enough to be deserving of you actually sending me some. There are waaaaay more deserving folks leaving messages.

Stephanie said...

I'm always up for a resolution-crusher! :) I was about to write this on my shopping list until I scrolled down and saw the givaway part. So I'm making a comment, THEN I'll write it on my shopping list. :)

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, I started reading this post the other night but must have gotten distracted (those darn kids!) before I got to the contest part. I'm glad you had the follow-up post upping the ante.

Chris said...

Thanks for letting us know that your Target was OUT and that we may have to make it a priority to get over to Target and STOCK UP! :)

Guess where I am going tomorrow afternoon?! Coupons in hand! :) Fingers crossed!

Debbie said...

I haven't ever heard of these. But, in the interest of science, I'd be willing to try anything that promises to satisfy my 11 times in one night.

Elder Ostergar said...

pick me! pick me! oh please pick me!

Aubrey said...

I'm really curious about the Tim Tams- I'm going to have to get myself to Target. My favorite hard to find treat are McVities-- it's a chocolate covered cookie/biscuit thing from the UK. There's a specialty store not too far from my house that has them. They also have Minstrels, which are like giant M&M's.
It would be better if the store were farther away. :(

charrette said...

What I REALLY need is a 12-step program to undo my addiction to cookies. But I can do that AFTER I try the Tim-Tams, right? You owe me after the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's anyway...what's a few founds among friends? :)

My brother served his mission in Australia. I'm going to buy him some for his birthday next month.

Baak Talk said...

Picking anyone else would be a waste! I am truly, the chocolate connoisseur! I have to have my daily dose.

In fact, Danny just discovered that I truly have a secret stash, just for moi, or rather ME MATE!

Hersheys, every trader joe brands, godiva, sees, hot, crumbled, dark, white, liquified, candified, DOVE (my current fav)

but I'm ready to have a new foreign favorite!

Anonymous said...

I had an old roomie post about these a few weeks ago. She has some friends in Australia, and was so excited to see them in Target. But please don't send me any. Seriously. I REALLY need to get back on the wagon.

Chris said...

Well, WE DID IT!

We purchased two bags of TimTams and sampled them and THEY ARE WONDERFUL!

Right up there with Girl Scout Samoas!

The kids are MOST SADDENED by the minimal number of cookies in the bags. I broke a couple of cookies from each bag in half and we sampled them. Then everyone chose a favorite and had a whole one. Aaaaagh! YUM!

So, all in all, a most marvelous experience. Thanks so much for telling us about them! :)