Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My secret WWF obsession comes out...

I had no idea people loved the word doppelganger so much. Some of you find it delicious to roll around on your tongue. Me? It makes me giggle, especially because I refuse to say it without a fake German accent a la Mike Meyers in Sprockets.


Chaka is one of the people that luuurves him a doppelganger. He put me onto a cool site called Totally Looks Like. Hee, hee. And he said in yesterday's comments that if I did a post on doppelgangers, he'd follow my blog.

Done!
I really want to get to fifty.

Well, Chaka, I can go one better on you. How about a whole blog dedicated to doppelgangers? Specifically, my husband's doppelgangers. We thought of this idea in the fall and we haven't quite gotten it off the ground due to technical difficulties, but we (meaning I and my good-natured husband agreed to go along) started a blog called Guys That Look Like Kenny not to be confused with Guys That Look Like Kenny Rogers, another great way to spend an hour.

Now, the previously mentioned technical difficulty with the blog is that I'm supposed to go up to people at Disneyland and other public places and say, "You look like my husband. Can I get a picture of you for a blog we have about that?" And technically, I think that's kind of creepy and I haven't figured out a great way to do that yet which doesn't sound, um, psychotic. So far, all I've got is a Google image of Stone Cold Steve Austin. Him:


Obviously, my husband is FAR better looking.

I'm just saying, Chaka might love him a doppelganger, but I REALLY loves me a doppelganger.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few of my brushes with mistaken fame:

I was called to help in the Spanish Branch for a few years, and the youth there nicknamed me "stonecold" which in Spanish comes out more like "estocol". I don't think they even knew my real name.

Once, I was on a business trip in Baton Raton, FL and I was stopped in the supermarket by an old lady who said, "I bet you get this all the time, but you look just like Jesse "The Body" Venture." "Oh, yeah, all the time" I said. That was actually the first and last time ever.

But the best was in high school, when my sister was babysitting some kids in on our home. Apparently, I was asleep in my room and one of the little boys when up and then came back down. With an expression of awe, he said to my sister "He-man is asleep upstairs!!!'

"Oh, that's my brother..."

"HE-MAN IS YOUR BROTHER?!?!"

That's my favorite... ;)

Anonymous said...

ummmm...

Baton Raton = Boca Raton
when up = went up

It's late...and I should have my wife proofread before I post...

LisAway said...

WOW! Now THERE are some twins.

I love Kenny's comment(s).

What's it like being married to He-Man? "By the POWER OF GRAYSKULL!!"

CountessLaurie said...

I don't like my doppelganger, so I am not sharing. For some reason, your first picture (I am guessing the original stone cold) is not coming through. So I am going to use my imagination! Wow - look at the resemblence. Freaky *shudder*

Thanks!!

Kristina P. said...

Too funny! I just used the word doppleganger on Erin's blog about her twin Lisaway.

Lara Neves said...

Now that is some look alike action I can agree with.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

MUCH better looking.

Oh wait...that totally came off as creepy...

Heidi said...

With regards to my comment on the Kenny blog, I probably shouldn't comment on blog posts right after I have read Kristina's blog . . .

Erin said...

There is a picture of my dad in high school that looks exactly like a picture I saw of Richard Gere in high school.

Thanks for all of the discussion on dopplegangers!

Annette Lyon said...

Totally off-topic, but I just gotta say: a photo showing your teeth! A first!

earlfam said...

Mine's Celine Dion. The conversation usually goes like this;
"Has anyone ever told you that you look like..."
"Celine Dion?"
"Yeah, I guess you've heard that before."
"Yep, all the time."
The funny part is that Brent thinks she really ugly and always tells me that I really don't look anything like her. I have no idea what that means.

And there was a guy in my old neighborhood that walked his dogs past my house everyday. He was bald with a goatee. Once, the kid across the street was at my house and saw Kenny's picture--on the fridge maybe? Anyway he was convinced that it was the dog walker and I could not dissuade him. I'll try to get a picture next time I'm over there.

I love the He-man story!

Debbie said...

He is much, much better looking.

Heather of the EO said...

Jesse "The Body" was my governor. I'm certain Kenny is MUCH smarter. (:

I'm referring to Kenny's comment if you're wondering what in the world I'm talking about...

I love your hilarious blog. Really? Is that new news? Do I say it too much at this point? Does it get old? Too bad.

That Girl said...

Well, lady, I think you deserve a hundred followers.

I think I feel a tag coming on ....

Linda said...

OMG it does look like Kenny, but I do agree with you Melanie-Kenny is better lookin!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

How cute you are!!! So fun to see you! I have no idea what all this dopplehanger or whatev. I guess that's what I get for being MIA as of late.

I'll be back to comment on your previous post.

Tom said...

Thanks, I don't usually get that much attention after commenting on someones blog. I am even more impressed now that I know you have your own blog dedicated to the cause. I'll have to be on the look out for Kenny's evil twins now that I've seen his picture.