Friday, March 27, 2009

Then the top of my head came off and everything fell out...

There was a small window of time when I felt interesting today. Unfortunately, I didn't blog during that time. So now I feel completely uninteresting. And you know what's really sad?

I'm going to blog anyway.

If I judged my life by the number of items under each label in my blog sidebar, I'd be in trouble. I have twice as much stuff in "Randomness" than anything else. And it's not because it's a miscellaneous catch all blog junk drawer. No, it's because those are the true accounts of things I do that are totally random.

My son is going to Australia with his dad for Spring Break. That's pretty cool. It'll be his second time there. That's where his stepmom is from.

I got the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD at Target (totally cheaper on Amazon but I was too impatient to wait) and it's the perfect complement to my Wii Fit routine when I don't have time to make it to the gym.

I'm starting to say "Yes" to too much stuff again lately. I broke that habit for almost two years but I guess word got out that I fell off the wagon and now everyone's calling.

I chaperoned a Cub Scout field trip to the police station today. Two thoughts: I had a hard time telling the difference between the men in uniforms and the boys in uniforms once they all got to talking about how cool tasers are. And two: when the boys got to go into a jail cell and check it out, I thought about how cool it would be if I could leave them there, and I wasn't even trying to be funny.

I started reading Jane Eyre and sort of hated it, but now that she's out of that one school, it's not so bad.

I think that Adam guy on American Idol comes off as gay, and the problem with that is that I don't buy him as a heart throb, which is how the show is going to try to package him. And his musical dance theater roots show too much for him to package himself as an indie dude, which is what he's trying to do. I kinda don't like him although his Wednesday night performance was definitely the best one.

I don't watch Dancing the Stars because I don't think it's fun to watch people who aren't good at something do whatever it is they're not good at doing. If it was all ballroom professionals, I'd watch it in a hearbeat but it's not really entertaining to me to see people doing something I could probably do if I had a Mistic Tan and 8 hours a day with a ballroom expert.

I don't like teenagers when they travel in herds. As individuals, I enjoy them tremendously.

The only condition under which I would relive the ages 12-14 is if it would save the life of my children. Nothing less could convince me to do it.

I think people who make women's razors are part of a vast conspiracy to make sure our blades are inferior to our husbands'. Seriously, even when they say it's an equivalent four blade or whatever, my husband's Mach 3 kicks my Venus's trash.

No matter how many things I try at See's Candy, their polar bear paws make me down right happy. I am completely unrefined.

I'm beginning to hate the term "chick." It's usually not good if I call a girl a "chick" these days. Except if I say someone is a cool chick, in which case it's a sincere compliment.

As of next week, I'll be married to a middle-aged man. And I'm YOUNG. As a sidenote, he's the bestest husband EVER.

Alison Wonderland's sister hung out at my house yesterday. Does that blow anyone else's mind? Our house was their family's base of operations while they played at the beach. I like living close to the beach.

I want Tim Tams right now.

And a root beer. But at least I can just walk in the kitchen and get myself a root beer.

Guess what I'm filing this under today?

20 comments:

That Girl said...

I like being inside your head. I have a feeling I've told you that before, but it's still true.

And I find you very interesting, indeedy, ma'am.

Cub Scounts scare me.

I love Jane Eyre.

I only shave with Machs.

And I would KILL for a root beer.

Kristina P. said...

I haven't read Jane Eyre since high school, but I remember not really loving it.

Debbie said...

I fake liking Jane Eyre. Makes me look smarter.
I went on a field trip to the jail once with the elementary school. I understand your logic on this one.

Cajoh said...

OK, how come all the razor blades that I buy don't last as long as they used to. I'm thinking that my beard is getting too tough for them (I go through one after three shaves now instead of five). I now have to find a place to get my strait razors sharpened— try that on your legs ladies.

I agree with you about Dancing with the Stars— I like So You Think You Can Dance better. But I do notice that a lot of the So You Think dancers I grew to love are now the dance instructors, so I watch them instead.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have heard alot of people have a hard time reading Jane Eyre. I loved it. I hope it continues to get better for you.

Aubrey said...

I quite enjoyed your random post.

Haven't read Jane Eyre for a LONG time, but there were books I liked better.

My sister has the same problem with saying yes too much. One of her friends told her that the secret to getting off the YES merry-go-round was not to volunteer excuses when she was asked to do things, but merely say she was "unavailable". She tried it for a while with marginal success, but now she's right back where she started. I'm not sure there's a cure-- maybe eating Tim Tams has something to do with it? You could do some research...I'll bring the rootbeer. :)

Heidi said...

Oh, man, you make me miss San Diego. When we lived there, everyone came to visit. sigh

Kazzy said...

I really like Jane Eyre.

I am also a Cub Scout leader.

I am afraid of Jillian.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Jane Eyre when I was a teen, and I'm afraid to re-read it since I think you might have to have teen angst to love it.

Aubrey, I find it easier to say "That won't work for me" than "I'm unavailable.

My husband uses an electric razor, so I've never compared my razors to his -- but your observation makes me want to switch to men's ones.

I'm always thinking of random things to post about when I'm not sitting at the computer, but they rarely make it to my blog, but I enjoy reading your random stuff, so maybe I should start posting mine.

Unknown said...

Loved 'Pride and Prejudice', tolerated 'Jane Eyre', still have PTSD over 'Wuthering Heights'. Seriously, someone slip that woman a Valium already.

I taught a 90 minute Institute class, directed a concert, and spoke at a RS dinner for people I didn't even know -- all yesterday.

I think I need to find my bag o' NOs and start handing 'em out again!

Cub Scouts are a piece of cake compared with beehives. No contest.

I was going to go on Dancing With the Stars, but now I'll feel self-conscious. So never mind.

And I don't watch American Idol. I'm too busy digging into the See's chocolates to find the hazelnut carmels.

LisAway said...

I live Jane Eyre a lot but I like Villette more. It has a similar feeling to Jane Eyre, sort of, only a bit better. (It's also by Charlotte Bronte.

I love the title of this post.

lislynn said...

I'm totally with you on the "ages 12 to 14" thing.

*shudders*

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow. Amen to like...more than half of that. Especially about Adam. It's so weird watching this season as I'm not really a fan of anyone, per se, and usually I have someone I'm hugely rooting for.

Love the randomness. That's why you keep doing it - to please random junkies like me, right?

They sell Tim Tams at our local market now. Help me.

Julie Wright said...

Most of life for me feels random so random files are somewhat comforting to me. I'm the new webelos leader. I'm not all that fond of scouting and would love to lock the boys in a jail cell. You get a rootbeer, I'm going to forage and see if I can round up a Dr. Pepper. Oh and hey, I'm wicked jealous that your son gets to go to Australia. I want to go!

wendy said...

I am with you --I was once a Cub Scout leader (don't know what I did to deserve that, but I kept saying I was sorry) and I TOO would have left them in the "jail cell". Teenager in Herds bad --individually, inspiring. Adam --gay and conceited and a FREAKING idiot. I love dancing with the stars because I WANT A BODY LIKE THOSE GIRLS -----------

earlfam said...

We love that you live close to the beach too. But, just so you know, we'd come see you even if you didn't.

And being married to a middle aged man is not much different from being married to an almost middle aged man.

I hope my kids left some root beers for you!

Thanks again for dinner!

Jenny said...

I'm curious -- is there an official age for "middle-aged"? I always thought it was just some vague description of when men (people?) hit that time in their life when they feel the need for a red sportscar and a toupe';)

Dedee said...

Love Jane Eyre.

Love root beer too, especially the home-made variety.

And by all means, lock up those cub scouts, but please call me and tell me where you left my son, okay? So I don't worry when he doesn't make it home on time.

Lara Neves said...

Yeah. I've never been cured of saying yes to everything. If you remember how you did it, I'd sure like to know.

And, Jane Eyre was never my favorite. Much prefer Austen. Does that make me shallow? Some would say it does.