Monday, June 15, 2009

On the street where I live

I live on the prettiest street in my city. Not that I'm biased or anything. But it's wide and gracious, lined with huge eucalyptus trees and flanked on either side by twisty sidewalks and Victorian inpsired row houses in bright colors. We're right downtown, just four blocks from the beach. On a clear day, if you stand on our back balcony and lean as far forward as you can without tipping into the parking lot, you can see the ocean.

Every Tuesday night, if you cross one block over, you run right into the weekly market night, full of produce booths, street performers, and all your neighbors. On any given day, I walk three blocks to my gym. The post office is on that corner. So is my dentist. If I round that corner, there are all kinds of little shops and cafes, restaurants and bars, and a chocolate store. Two blocks the other way leads you to a big park with lots of green space and a playground.

Best of all, literally around the corner from my house is the library. It's a 90 second walk. And right across the street from it? There's a Thai restaurant with fantastic drunken noodles and even better mangoes and sticky rice.

I love where we live. It's small but it's ours, and it's in the coolest part of town. I love that not much planning went into downtown back in the day and now multi-million dollar homes sit right next to beach shacks. I'll be sad when we buy a bigger place next year and we have to leave.

In the mean time, every day when I walk back from the gym, the brand new Italian place on the corner by my house smells of garlic and onions. Two such happy smells. But...my honey doesn't care for Italian and I want to eat there.

Anyone want to come visit?

31 comments:

Shellie said...

yes please!!! it sounds like heaven! right across from the library! you are one lucky lucky girl!

Luisa Perkins said...

It sounds fantastic! I wish I could come visit.

wenwin said...

beautifully described. i want to move in next door. is anything for sale?

WILLOW TREE said...

Sounds great, why move? Every time I've walked into IKEA I think, yes, I would purposefully seek out a 476 square foot apartment, just to decorate it like this! Sounds like a wonderful neighborhood!

Blessings,
Carolynn

Hit 40 said...

How about some pictures!!!

This would make a quick post for you tomorrow:-)

Becca said...

I'm there - anything cooked in garlic and onions. (My kids have been known to quote me saying "I'd eat a dead rat cooked in butter and garlic." I have no recollection of ever, ever saying that - as far as you know.)

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

ME! I 'd love to visit!!!! I have some free time..

Kristina P. said...

Definitely! I love tree lined streets.

Dedee said...

Now how can I get there. . .

Annette Lyon said...

Calgon, take me away . . .

Emily said...

Go ahead, rub it in. I could not be more center to ALL THE oceans that surround the USA! Smack dab in the middle of country, I am very homesick for the ocean, and more specifically, an ocean view!

I'd love to come visit! :)

Heather of the EO said...

YES.

It really does sound like perfection. I LOVE living where we can walk to things, life is just so much simpler.

I feel like I just walked around your neighborhood. It was fun.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to come visit. Except that I'm not. Oh well. Hey, I like the new blog look. It's probably old by now. I liked your last post, too. I tend to do that, although I am fully aware that I am switching topics on my audience. I think my husband sometimes gets annoyed with my conversational ADD.

Aubrey said...

Wish I could. :(

Your neighborhood sounds perfect, but more importantly, I would love to hang with you for a couple of days.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I LIVE for Italian.

And my kids. And husband. Yeah, them too.

Cajoh said...

My mother and I looked at where we lived and determined that it was an ideal location as well. It was a few blocks from the beach, within walking distance to downtown and grocery shopping, and was close to schools. It will be sad when you move.

Lara Neves said...

I will totally come visit and eat Italian with you. Someday.

Sounds like you've definitely found a little piece of heaven!

Erin said...

Oh man, it sounds so nice! I love where you live.

Now, aren't you jealous that you don't have a kite store named Breakin' Wind?

April said...

WOW! Paradise does exist!

Kazzy said...

Oh, man. Where would you even vacation?

LisAway said...

I'll be right over. Well, it all sounds too good to be true. PLUS there's Melanie on that street, I've heard. I can't wait to meet her in TWO WEEKS, with or without her street.

nano*ink said...

Why do you love Shakespeare?

TheOneTrueSue said...

I'm totally packing my bags. (Don't worry, all I require is an air mattress and wireless internet and I'm all set.)

That Girl said...

T'cha! I'm blissfully free right now. I'll even do your dishes for you.

Unknown said...

And now I'm humming the score from "My Fair Lady", which isn't so bad when you think about it.

Love this description. I don't want to just visit you, I want to live next door. Is that so wrong?

Jessica G. said...

I am sooooo coming! (But not if you make me attend your wackadoodle kickboxing class...)

charrette said...

I'd come visit you in a heartbeat! It sounds perfect. Sights and sounds and smells contribute so much to the overall experience. I love that you can walk places and enjoy all that.

But DelMar street in Pasadena might have you rivaled...unless you also have Jacaranda Trees, dancing in full-robed purple every May and June...

Anonymous said...

Yes! Can I come right now! That library and Thai...*lapsing into coma*

Julie Wright said...

YES! When can I come?

Anonymous said...

Do I want to come visit? How about we just trade houses? Forever? (Yeah so I'd bet your house wouldn't fit my family of seven. Maybe I'll just have to abandon my family.)

Silly said...

Pete doesn't like it when I eat garlic...he's not invited!