Wednesday, June 30, 2010

All growed up. Today, anyway.

Mostly I'm glad I have common sense, but sometimes it can suck the fun out of things. 


Like for example, let's say I wanted to tell you, a hundred of my nearest and dearest girlfriends, a hilarious story about how I ran into my husband's boss and his wife out at dinner the other night. It's hilarious because I made a startling and embarrassing discovery about my clothing an hour after I left them, but it's the kind of thing I probably shouldn't share on my blog. I'd tell you if it was just you and me goofing off over a plate of something delicious at our favorite local taco dive. So that makes me want to tell you here, too. 


But in the same way I might be mindful of the nearby company when I told you my story at dinner, I realize I need to do the same thing here. It's the whole principle of "there's a time and a place" for everything. I wouldn't go on a breastfeeding rant with a table full of my husband's friends. I wouldn't start a political debate in relief society. I wouldn't offer a breakdown of my aches and pains to the grocery store checker or an overview of my innermost feelings to the bank teller.


You know what? I probably would go on a breastfeeding rant at a table full of my husband's friends if I thought it would be funny.


But there I would know my audience. Here, I hit "publish" and I'm not always sure who will be stopping by and I have to think about who I'm putting my stories in front of. It's not that I want to self-censor, but for sure some filtering has to happen. So I guess I'm not going to tell you my funny and possibly inappropriate story because danged if I didn't turn into a grown up when I wasn't looking. It only took, like, thirty(ish) years.

15 comments:

LisAway said...

Growed up, maybe, but SO cruel. Of course we NEED the story!! Need it, I tell you!

Kristina P. said...

You can't leave us hanging!

NIKOL said...

Come on. How bad could it have been? Self-censoring is fine if you feel it's necessary, but don't dangle a good story like a carrot in front of your readers and then never deliver. That's just cruel.

Spill it!

Susan said...

I'm waiting for a private email, because I must know if your shirt was unbuttoned.

Becca said...

I love me a good Wardrobe Malfunction story. But, hey, there's much to be said for growing up, at least a bit.

Jenny P. said...

Did you read the post my sister and I joint posted right before the CBC about how you could tell us apart? Where we ever so eloquently mention the size of her boobs and the size of my butt? Um, yeah. Not so cool when an older gentleman from church who found my blog who on earth knows how, came up to me and said, "That post was um, interesting."

Gah! The downside of blogging, I guess. I intend to be a bit more careful from now on, I think.

Braden Bell said...

Bravo, Melanie. I know I'm in the minority on this one in the blogging world, but I think a bit of restraint and decorum never hurt anything.

Kazzy said...

Arrgghhh, I am dying of curiosity!!

Unknown said...

I'm not curious. I have a pretty good imagination, and as we speak I'm picturing your entire skirt tucked neatly into your panty hose.

Yep. That's some funny stuff.

amber_mtmc said...

Braden's comment made me rethink what I was going to say. So, for now, no comment.


Except that I, also, have an active imagination. Tehehehe

Wonder Woman said...

Ten bucks says you had some lovely leakage. I despise breast pads, but I despise embarrassing leakage even more. Or starting to let down and the feeling the need to press my nipple like an off button.

{crickets}

I may need to work on the "growing up and having boundaries" thing.

Debbie said...

Now that is just cruel to tease us like that!

Charlotte said...

I love a good funny story, but maybe that is just me. I would probably tell the same story in front of my congregation. I actually self-filter better online than in real life and that is really sad.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Booooo!

Dee-tails! Dee-tails! Dee-tails!

I do know what you mean, though. I've had more than a few occasions where I felt a little embarrassed when I found out someone unexpected had been reading.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

From all that I've heard and learned throughout life, I have deduced that growing up isn't mandatory. At all. And yet, there's a smug sort of pleasure that comes with being more mature than we COULD have been.

Misaligned headlights. Hee hee!