Monday, June 21, 2010

Wasssssssup????

I have been gone so long, it's like I barely remember this place.


Have you ever dug really far back in your closet and found a shirt or skirt you used to love but had long-forgotten? And then you put it on and you're all, "I'll never forget about you again!" and then you wear it out?

That's how I feel about my blog.

It's been so fun today to snatch moments where I could drop in on blogs I haven't been able to read for a few weeks. I needed the blog hiatus so I could stay focused on remodeling the new house, packing and moving, but we've moved and I'M BACK, BABY!

To answer the fifty million questions I've gotten on the subject of "How do you like the new house?" let me just say:

LOVE IT. With all my whole heart, from head to toe, including ligaments, tendons, bone marrow, and fast twitch muscle fibers.

I will definitely post pictures but they are currently being held hostage in my husband's camera which is currently under detainment in an undisclosed location, most likely a box labeled "Kids' Underwear" or "Nursing Pads" because these are perfectly logical places to pack a camera.

It's made for a great family activity every evening, this guessing where things may have been packed. Actually, we've given that sport up because it was too advanced. We play a more beginner level where we unpack a box and try to figure why on earth it got the label it did based on the contents. For example, I pulled my white noise machine (I use it to sleep and since my husband doesn't like me to say he snores, let's just say the machine drowns out our astonishingly loud air conditioner and simultaneously saves our marriage nightly) out of a basket of winter sweaters. Why was it there? There are a few possibilities. The first and most obvious is that the sweaters invited the noise machine over for a party. The second reason isn't nearly as interesting as the first so I won't even bother with it. And so the game goes.

Anyway, we're unpacked enough for me to feel perfectly at home. We have a dining room table now and no longer have to eat off of the coffee table or off of plates balanced on our knees. And I no longer have to base my area rug color choices off of what kind of food we spill most often.

It's the little things, people.

Anyway, I'm returning (for better and more likely far, far worse) to my regular schedule of blogging and I'll be coming around to your places far more often. You've been warned. This should give you just enough time to go private if you're quick.


I am now going to go indulge my new summer past time of helping James invent and sample new popsicle flavors. (Why doesn't the spell checker recognize popsicle as a word? It's not because I'm spelling it wrong, surely.) Today we've tried pineapple chunk mango, pineapple mango smoothie, rootbeer float, and Kool-Aid. So far Kool-Aid is winning, which is sad because I had high hopes for rootbeer float. Anyway, it's important that I go do this because when James was six, he told me he wanted to be a popsicle man, so this is me trying to encourage his dream. Also, when I asked him if I would get free popsicles from him, he said, "Maybe, if you're not dead." So this is also me trying to get in good with him and score free popsicles for my golden years.

24 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Spell check demands a capital P on Popsicle for some reason. Awfully formal for something one shoves in ones mouth.

Yay for the new house and oodles of space and much happy happy. So glad for you!

Lara Neves said...

So happy you're all moved and that you love your house.

And the rootbeer float popsicles sound pretty dang good, if you ask me.

Charlotte said...

Sounds very busy. I hate moving. Maybe next time I should turn unpacking into a fun game, too. But it would be more like, "how did that break?" or "why didn't I get rid of that before it was packed and moved here?"

Enjoy the popsicle making. I just tried spelling it earlier today and found it wanted capitalization, too, which I politely refused.

Kazzy said...

Those popsicles sound really good! I am glad you love your house. WHat a great thing after all of the work to get in there, huh!

Good luck finding the camera. :)

Kristina P. said...

Will you please mail me a popsicle?

amber_mtmc said...

When you visited my blog earlier, I came over but you had yet to post. Lucky for me, you waited until after my kids went to bed! Hooray! I can comment without being interrupted!

Anyway.

I believe a brain turns to mush when you are packing. That's why most of our, um, breakables were packed into plastic bags when we moved to a bigger apartment. Luckily, most survived the move.

Unknown said...

My house is such a cluttered disaster area I envy those of you who are in moving mode! And I'm happy to see you blogging again!

Cajoh said...

Now comes the fun of unpacking. I think it took us two weeks to finally move all the stuff out of the living room so we could sit on the couch again.

Susan said...

I packed up half of our stuff a few months ago when I thought we were moving, only to find out we weren't moving. Guess what? It's all still packed, and I'm perfectly happy. Apparently I didn't need all that stuff to stay alive. And my house is much cleaner with it all in boxes.

I know exactly why your white noise machine was in with a basket of socks. Because once you've packed enough boxes, you just don't care anymore. You just want it in a box and out of your way.

Have fun in your new house. And eating popsicles.

(PS-I have a husband that doesn't snore, too. Thank goodness for a king sized bed and nose strips.)

Wonder Woman said...

Yay! I have missed you! I look forward to posts with "p.s. wrote this while nursing" at the bottom. Also, I think the noise machine was with the sweaters for padding. Totally boring and predictable answer, but that's what I've become. Boring and predictable.

p.s. not written with a child attached to me.
p.p.s. you watching True Beauty?

Amber Lynae said...

Well, dang. How can I get free Popsicles in my golden years?

Having a table to dine at is nice, if you can keep all the other stuff from piling up on it.

I get to go over to my sister's tomorrow and help her play the unpacking after a move game.

Any pointers?

LisAway said...

Oh, how nice to have you back! What fun newly moved in games you guys are playing.

And you are an amazing mother to encourage your son to fulfill his dreams by helping him experiment in that way. I wish Evie wanted to become a baker so I would be a good mom for baking all the time instead of being a bad one for it.

And Popsicle is a brand name. Sort of like spell check probably wouldn't recognize Kleenex (at least without the capital K). Maybe he'll have his own brand of Jamesicles or something. Mmmmmm.

Becca said...

Welcome home. Yea for dining room tables. And guess what else Spell-check doesn't like? Frisbee without a capital F.

NIKOL said...

Popsicle is actually a brand name, much like Kleenex, Q-Tip, or Xerox.

Love the story about the mixed up stuff in moving boxes. We had the same thing going on when we moved. I know it was because I actually believed that I would remember where I put everything. I figured we were going to pack and then unpack everything within such a short period of time, it wouldn't matter. Turns out I was wrong, wrong, wrong. There's still stuff we haven't unpacked (it's been almost two years now), and still stuff I've never found. Sigh!

Know what makes an insanely good Popsicle? Pureed watermelon. Put in a little lemon juice and some sugar. I've also mixed in some strawberries when I puree.

Alison Wonderland said...

Glad you're back.

Valerie said...

Did you get to that point in the move where you're OK with throwing EVERYTHING away? Just so you don't have to pack it, unpack it,and find a new place for it? I hate that point. But I really do start throwing stuff away. My husband sells it. Like the time he sold our couches and bed without telling me, just so he didn't have to load it on a truck.
Sigh.

Welcome back!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Welcome back!

Glad the moving and unpacking adventure has been awesome. I always enjoy a rousing game of Why Is the Toaster in With the Shoes?

The popsicle (hey! You're right! Spell check doesn't like the word 'popsicle' at all!) inventing sounds like fun. When your son is ready to expand his test market, be sure to let me know!

Heather of the EO said...

I love it that Kimberly had the answer to the Popsicle thing.

And HI! Welcome home!
It feels so good to get settled.
At the last minute, I packed crazy things with crazy other things, too. I couldn't find very important things when we unpacked because of it...but slowly it gets DONE and home is GOOD.

Jenny P. said...

The last time we moved, I threw away so much stuff just so I didn't have to find a home for it.

So, what are we supposed to call popsicles that aren't actually Popsicles, with a capitol P? Frozen fruit stick treats? It just doesn't have the same ring to it...

Stephanie said...

I, for one, am excited about the popsicle flavors. And that you're blogging again, of course.

Annette Lyon said...

Melanie is BAAAAAACK! Let the party get started!

Melinda said...

YAY! Glad you're moved in and glad you're back blogging! Love the visual of you guys playing "how'd that get in there"--too funny! Can't wait to see pictures of your new place, how exciting!

Anonymous said...

I'm with DeNae on the envy. I want to move to a new house and get it all painted how I like before moving in, but all the houses in our area need just as much fixing up as ours does and cost twice as much, and also we're so buried in clutter that it would be very hard to get our house to a sell-able condition. Decluttering was one of my goals for this summer but so far I've barely made a dent.

I'm not, of course, envious of all the work it took you to move. And I'm thrilled that you're thrilled with your new home.

I just read the Popsicle post and was going to 1) say Popsicle's a trade name much like Kleenex, and b) wonder what we should call frozen desserts on sticks if they're not Popsicle brand, but I read all the comments first and was pleased and amused that everything I'd thought of saying had already been said. It just goes to show that your readers have great minds. :)

Dedee said...

You're awesome!

Yay for a house you love!

Yay for Popsicles!