Monday, November 15, 2010

More or less

First, let's start with I have three kids, including two in diapers. This automatically makes a regulation day feel like I've misplaced eight hours somewhere, kind of like I regularly misplace my glasses, cell phone, and car keys. Maybe I wipe away extra minutes with every diaper change, or somehow roll up an hour or two inside one of the gifts I sacrifice to the God of the Diaper Pail. I don't know why I would offer him anything as precious as time since he does his job poorly. His Genie skills are lame.


But because I sometimes I live intentionally (and that's heavy on the SOMEtimes), I realize my attention is going to be divided multiple ways during the day, and I work harder to squeeze more juice out of each minute. I am not a real touchy-feely squishy emotion-having type of mom, but I realized that I blinked and missed Grant's infancy, and I don't want to do that again. Even though love multiplies with each kid, time divides, and I have less time to give Eden than I did Grant. So I take the cupful of minutes I do get and I make it count more. I hug and snuggle and sometimes letter dinner go unmade because she wants holding. And soon she won't. 


Less time, but so much more love. 


Fair trade.



This is a modified version of the comment I left to win a phone in this blog giveaway.

17 comments:

Susan said...

So true. Something I forget often.

Kristina P. said...

Sounds like you have your priorities down.

Melinda said...

The part where you said "love multiplies but time divides"--SO TRUE. I was just thinking this morning that if you want time to go faster then just have more kids because TIME FLIES.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Time divides. Oh how that resonates. The whole post does because I'm so exactly in the same place. I blinked and missed Becca's infancy too and with Claira, I'm savouring it.

It feels good. Crazy busy hectic, but good.

Lara Neves said...

That whole love multiplies but time divides thing just made me catch my breath. So beautifully put. And I love your solution to the problem...yes many things can wait. Our children shouldn't.

Karen M. Peterson said...

That does sound like a pretty good deal.

Heidi said...

Very wise. As the mom of a 9, 16 and 21 year old, I know how fast those moments fly. I am so glad my youngest is little for his age because I can still get most of him in my lap. I have considered not feeding him so he takes longer to get to big but must admit, this could backfire on me. : )

Kazzy said...

Oh yeah. I would take less time any day, when it comes to cuddling cutie pies!

* said...

Time with my young children, something I want to both fast forward and rewind. Why is it always like that??

Valerie said...

Well written! Very true.

Tracy Loewer said...

I did a cross-stitch/embroidery sample years ago, which I love and live by:
Dishes and dusting can be put on hold,
Babies and mommies too soon will grow old;
So hobbies be still and work go away,
I'm loving my babies day upon day.

charrette said...

Great thoughts here, and so true.
Love multiplies, time divides.
But then when I think about what Elder U. said...LOVE is spelled T-I-M-E I really struggled to do the math sometimes.

I hope you win that phone.

Linda said...

Love this! You are such a good mommy!!!!!

amber_mtmc said...

I sure hope I'm treasuring both of my kids infant and child hoods. I made the decision to long before they were born, but I am sure that in a few years from now I will look back and wish I had done more...or less.

Beautiful post, Melanie.

LisAway said...

Great reminder, Melanie. For me right now it's a matter of getting off the computer and getting on the floor with my little boys. Which I'm going to do right now. . .

Unknown said...

A friend called last night, needing help holding her baby and snuggling her 2-year old while she packed her car. Her husband has decided he doesn't love any of them any more, and is essentially discarding three of the most beautiful girls, including his wife, just because he wants to be a JAG officer full time. So I held that baby and I snuggled that 2-year old and I reminded myself over and over again how easy it is to sow the wind and reap the whirlwind, even when you're NOT a selfish putz who doesn't deserve the beautiful family he's tossing in with the recyclables.

Priorities change circumstances. But circumstances change priorities, too. You've got yours just where they belong.

Dedee said...

You're awesome.

Thanks for the reminder.