Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Christmas miracle. Oh, and shoes.

I am trying to decide how much I want, I need, I MUST have these shoes. It's my birthday Friday. It's Christmas Saturday. I have to get them. Right?
Yeah. I gotta.

In other news, a minor Christmas miracle. Remember when I posted about my frustration with myself for becoming so easily annoyed by one of the girls in my new circle of friends? 

Well.

Lots of you offered advice (and even one lecture, SUSAN!), and it was all stuff I knew. All stuff I'd told myself. A lot of stuff I'd even tried already.

But sometimes there's just something about hearing it from someone else. So I made a renewed effort. I prayed harder, I tried to be more honest with my self about my issues with her, I avoided her when I could but looked for the positive and prayed for more empathy when I couldn't.

And lo and behold . . . 

A breakthrough. It was a small thing, but for the first time we had a situation where it was just the two of us, and people . . .

She's a totally different person when it's just down to two. Her energy changes. She relaxes. She is more reflective and less frantic. She is . . .

Human. More than tolerable. Maybe even likable.

And rather than being proud of myself, I feel glad that I got a chance to know her a little better, to see a true glimpse of her, because Heavenly Father softened my heart and then blessed me with a new friend for Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you all!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. You gotta. Those are too cute!

So glad the girl chillaxed and you get to know her better. I think a lot of people wear masks. I know I do.

Becca said...

Yeah. Seeing people through a new filter - that's a gift, for Christmas or any other day. I'm glad you recognized the gift.

And the shoes. You really must.

Happy Christmas.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh that is beyond awesome! Love!

Also? Totally love the shoes!

Karen M. Peterson said...

You need those shoes. It's not even a matter of want.

I'm so happy for you and your new friend. Thanks for reminding me of a big lesson I already knew but needed to brush up on.

Melinda said...

Honestly at this point I would take any friend even if she was crazy annoying and drove me nuts...okay, I take it back. BUT I am SO GLAD the situation has changed for you, really great!

If you must get the shoes, you must!

Susan said...

This makes me very, very happy, because I also want her to like you. I can't stand the thought of anyone not liking my friend.

Yay, for you doing the right thing. The hard thing.

Oh--and super cute shoes!

I'm definitely going to Storymakers. You'll have to wear them so I can see them for reals.

Heidi said...

I am one of those people, sadly. I just get so worked up in a crowd. Good for you. I say you deserve the shoes, birthday/Christmas or not.

Kristina P. said...

A definite Christmas miracle.

I need to introduce you to my friend, Emily. You two could put together an amazing shoe collection.

wendy said...

OK...first off...anyone who has to have a birthday the DAY before Christmas deserves ANYTHING SHE WANTS.
got that.

and good for you and your new Christmas friend. Sometimes one on one with people can make all the difference. Maybe they don't feel the pressure of others around them and the need to "fake it".

Now I feel like singing "where are you Christmas, why can't I find you"

InkMom said...

It's my birthday tomorrow and you have to get the shoes.

Kazzy said...

That is neat that you were able to have a breakthrough like that. A couple of years a go there was a little guy in my class that would make sounds whenever I talked to the class. Beeps, humming, tongue-clicking. When I was quiet, he was quiet. It was beyond annoying. I prayed. I REALLY prayed for compassion and understanding. And then one day I loved him. I mean, I seriously loved this kid and felt empathy for him and his problems. To me, this kind of change of heart is what the gospel is essentially all about.

OK, enough preaching...

Get the shoes and take some photos as evidence. Way cute!

Carolyn V. said...

I think that's fantastic Melanie! I think I'm different when I'm around people and when I'm alone. I'm so glad you got to know her a little better too. =)

I hope you had a great Christmas. =D

Dedee said...

Congratulations! I have had similar issues with someone in my ward. We aren't buddy-buddy, by any means, but I've figured out how to make the relationship work. It is a Christmas miracle.

The shoes are awesome, btw. I hope you got them!

Erin said...

Happy belated birthday and Merry Christmas! I hope you got the shoes.

Josi said...

I'm so glad that of the two blog posts (of any blog) I've read in the last three months, this was one of them. I'm so proud of you for making it such a goal, and so happy for you that you got to see past the exterior that was so difficult. Way to go.

I don't like the shoes, though. They look like they are made out of my grandmothers couch. But everything you wear is cute so I'm not sure why I point that out :-)