Sunday, February 13, 2011

LOL

I don't feel funny.


I do feel, however, totally content.


My humor seems to grow out of  . . . well, discontent. I guess? I don't know. Is this true?


All I know is I can't think of anything funny to say, but I am utterly happy at the moment and have been for days. When I am even vaguely annoyed, suddenly I'm hilarious. 


What does this mean? Am I one of those off-putting people who must suffer for their art? Does this mean I must make a trip to Costco where I'm sure something will set me off, probably in the form of a person who does NOT understand the simple concept of keep your oversized grocery car TO THE RIGHT, for the love . . .ahem. You see? Do I have to go to Costco in order to find my funny?


Wait. What if I'm so happy even Costco can't bring me down? What if . . .


What if I have to go to Wal-Mart?


Am I so happy now that it would take a trip to Wal-Mart to ruin it and haul my sense of humor back out?


Is it true? Do I need to feel at least mildly rankled to be find the funny in something? 


You guys . . . I'm scared. Is this the first step (this mining humor from disgruntlement) to writing  literary fiction, once described as "the two most depressing words in the English language"?


Because if it is, I may sit around being all glowy and motherly and housewife-ly and never crack a joke again. 


Yes. That's the plan now because recovering my joke mojo is far too high a price to pay for a trip to Wal-Mart.

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I just read a lot of US Weekly's.

{autie} said...

i don't enjoy walmart either!

Melinda said...

I thought that was funny, so SEE you don't need to be disgruntled to be funny! Phew--major Walmart bullet dodged there!

Sarah M Eden said...

No amount of funny is worth WalMart. Ever.

The Lovely One said...

I don't know, I think this is pretty funny! I can't imagine being so happy that even a trip to Costco or Walmart won't piss me off!

Unknown said...

My husband told me the other day that my 'default setting' is MAD. That's right. He said that. To my FACE. Of course, we were having a spat at the time, so I really WAS mad, but that was completely beside the point. However, as you know, I'm a humor writer, and in fact I used my rage in my last post to involve my readers - including YOU, Miz Mel - in executing some serious, petty vengeance.

So there may be something to 'humor through disgruntlement.' I'll ask my husband about it.

As soon as I let him back in the house.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

See, this is where writing fiction trumps non-fiction. You can get in your character's head and borrow their disgruntlement for awhile.

And congrats on the happy.

wendy said...

sheeesh...no one needs to be subjected to Wal-Mart to find your funny.......

Barbaloot said...

I can't think of anything so awful and desperate that I'd need to go to Wal-Mart! I pick Kristina's option:)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is awful of me but Costco where I live totally outranks Wal-Mart on Most Infuriating Places. It's survival of the fittest. It's Lord of the Flies. It's one oreo cookie among four toddlers.

So if it came to Costco or Funny--I'd be serious for life.

Becca said...

I may or may not have recently told someone, "You can get it a WalMart. It will cost you $7.95 and all your pride."

Karen M. Peterson said...

Quick! Get one of the kids to drop something on your foot. ANYTHING to avoid a trip to Wal-Mart!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I agree! And once in a while my girls tell me I am funn, and it goes to my head and I get all silly and goofy. And then they just think I am crazy...

Dedee said...

CNN can do it for me.

But I'm not sure anything is worth a trip to Wal-Mart.

However, if you find you must, make sure you take all of your kids and make sure they are hungry when you go. ;)