Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Let me count the ways . . .

Reminder: Go HERE and comment to win a copy of The List. Go to yesterday's post to win a Shabby Apple dress or cool necklaces.


I love lists. Here's a list of some of my favorite kinds of lists. (I know, I'm so meta.)


1. Honey-do lists. From me to Kenny.
2. Lists of things I've done for the day. Not a to-do list--an already-did list. Much better.
3. Dessert options at The Cheesecake Factory.
4. Things to pack before a fun vacation.
5. New playlists on my iPod.


This love of lists may explain the title of my novel, The List. And it probably explains why the whole book hinges on Ashley's list (the main character). This is the list she made on her 18th birthday of the 25 things she wanted to do before she got married. Cross-outs are what she's gotten done by the ripe old age of 24.

  1. Climb a mountain
  2. See a show on Broadway
  3. Sing karaoke
  4. Read all the standard works
  5. Get a master’s degree
  6. Study abroad
  7. Serve a mission
  8. Learn to make sushi
  9. Own a pair of Laboutins
  10. Complete a triathlon
  11. Snowboard on a black diamond trail
  12. Read a Russian classic
  13. Learn to surf
  14. Visit Europe
  15. Do a humanitarian project
  16. Get a sports car
  17. Have a summer fling
  18. Take a cruise
  19. Skydive
  20. Learn a foreign language
  21. Publish a poem
  22. Learn to play guitar
  23. Be a movie extra
  24. Try internet dating
  25. Learn to tango
It's a kind of bucket list, I guess, in the sense that she thinks marriage and kids will be the death of all her fun and spontaneity.


But it leads me to another list. Here's my real bucket list:
1. Serve a mission with Kenny.
2. Go to Africa (can be combined with #1)
3. Go to an LSU football game
4. Learn to sew, and sew well
5. Work for a non-profit focused on eradicating poverty
6. Visit somewhere with indigenous monkeys
7. Take a Caribbean cruise


I didn't get married until I was 32 so I had a lot of time to do other things that used to be on my bucket list. But what's funny is that I've done more stuff on my bucket list SINCE I got married. For example, these used to be on my bucket list before I got married but now they're done:


1. See a show on Broadway
2. See Patrick Stewart in a Shakespeare play
3. Travel Italy and France
4. Take an Alaskan Cruise
5. Hang out in Central Park
6. Publish a book


So for anyone who wonders, Ashley isn't based on me. I love marriage! It's way more fun to have a partner in crime.


Now, I've told you all week, I'm a giver. (Scroll up to the top of this post. You'll see.) And now I'm going to even give you a blog prompt. And if you play along, I will throw you in for an extra TEN entries into the giveaway of your choice: The List, the Shabby Apple dress, or any of the jewelry.


Yeah, yeah, I'm awesome. Not to mention you don't have to think of something for your next blog post. That's the biggest prize of all, right?


Do your own bucket list and link back to this post. It doesn't have to be a bucket list of things to do before you die. It can be a bucket list of things to do before your next high school reunion. Or things to do after your last kid leaves home. Mention somewhere that people can win a copy of the book. That's it. Cool, right? You can just put your entry in the Linky Thing below between now and Friday and you're good to go.


I know. Awesomeness. Dipped in chocolate. Waving magical fairy pinwheels.


Yep.


And my magic number today is TEN. That means I need at least TEN people to participate in order for me not to feel like a total idiot. Less than ten is pretty darn near throwing a party where nobody comes.


All right, get going. Your bucket list, at least five items, linked below. Oh, and link to your post, not your blog URL. Good luck!


7 comments:

Carolyn V said...

I love your lists! And the "Partner in crime" made me laugh. It's so awesome to have a great partner in crime. =)

Barbaloot said...

I entered. And I really want to win! :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I make "Done Lists" nearly every single day. To-Do lists just depress me.

And I have a draft in my folder of a post about my bucket list that I have yet to complete. I am so doing this.

Phannie said...

I'm in. I hope I win a copy of your book. It sounds fantastic. If I don't, I will just have to go buy it.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great lists! I've always meant to write a bucket list, but have put it off. Maybe I'll reassess and get it done. Thanks for the inspiration

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Okay, I'll add my list to your book review tomorrow and link to it. ;)

LisAway said...

I'm putting this on my bucket list of things to do before we leave for Warsaw for the weekend...