Monday, April 4, 2011

Good thing he's cute.

Maybe you remember the lovely note I had to send to James's teacher back in January regarding a certain brick. This was the note I had to send in this morning, unaltered. Yay.

Hi, Mrs. Yarrington.

We had a little issue with James's final literature circles project. He finished it late Saturday night. Some time Sunday afternoon, my three-year-old Grant got a little water on it. No big deal, just some sprinkles. James put the pages outside to dry. Then Kenny sent Grant out to play and turned on the hose for him, not realizing James's papers were outside. Grant watered everything thoroughly: the plants, the skateboard ramp, the patio furniture . . . and James's papers.

We dried them out and reconstructed the really messed up stuff as best we could. Kenny and James were up really late last night working on it. They're legible but still a total mess, I know. If you don't mind sending him home with another packet, we'll have him fill it in again so it's acceptable. We're making him bring in the packet in its current condition just so you know he really did complete it.

Sorry about all this. We seem to have some kind of curse on long-term projects around here. (Its name is Grant.)

Sincerely,


Melanie  

P.S. The winner of the last copy of The List is Jaime from Polka Dots on Parade. I'll get it on its way. :)

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

She must love you!

Melinda said...

Did the teacher enter the contest? Hence the p.s. :)

Barbaloot said...

At least you have proof of the watered project. Otherwise, might sound a little sketchy:)

Unknown said...

I still send notes like this. And the perp and the victim are the same kid. "Mom..." "Yes?" "How do you get Dr. Pepper off a math book?"

This child is nearly 16.

Becca said...

See? This is why people go into teaching. It's not for the big bucks after all.

Kazzy said...

As a teacher, I would totally give your boy full credit, for the drama alone!

charrette said...

Oh, it gets worse.

Last month I had to return an assignment to one of my students...with a corner all chewed up by our new puppy. :)

Yes, this is college.
Yes, it was a painting.
Yes, I was mortified.

Rebecca said...

awesome...by the way, I finished your book today, just a few minutes ago actually and I'm still in my PJ's with the kids yelling for lunch. It was that good! And...I wrote a little about it on my blog, if you are interested:)

Jenny P. said...

I just sent a note to school telling Jordan's teacher that when I threw away Jordan's report card (which I was supposed to sign and return) I also threw away his spelling words. Good of me, huh? I swear I'm not intentionally sabotaging my child's fourth grade year.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Sorry you have to write these notes to the teacher, but thank you for sharing them!

Charlotte said...

I have to send in excuse notes all the time for something that wasn't the kids fault at all. I think, after reading this, I need to make them more entertaining.