Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I would like to hug the world.

SOOOOOOO many things have been  making me happy lately. They're little things and a couple of huge ones.


Like for example . . . I FINISHED ANOTHER MANUSCRIPT.


Whoo hoo!


And it was way too long and even the edits, which I normally loathe, have been going pretty well. I have to cut at least 13,000 words out and I've already knocked out 9,000. Yes!


And there's other good book news. For various reasons that turned out to be utterly stupid, I thought my Not My Type wasn't doing so hot. As it happens, I'm crazy. It's selling really well. Better than The List, even. And do you know what that means? DO YOU?


It means I GET TO KEEP WRITING! And that is what I want the very mostest. After happiness for my family and world peace.


Here's other stuff that's making me happy. See this apron?


The cute lady in the picture with me, my friend Sarah, made it. And it is PERFECT. Perfect length and on my right, if you squint, you can see one of two reasons why: the pocket. This is the perfect place to drop my iPod so I can listen to podcasts (especially This American Life) while I cook. Suddenly, dinner is less of a chore. And I can't hear the children, whose meltdown hour coincides with dinner prep hour. The second reason is the length. I have a couple of other great aprons that are shortish and the proportions look goofy on me. And this is just right.


I bought it. I bought two, actually. Because I believe in great causes and good deals. See, Sarah's little boy was recently diagnosed with Type I diabetes. And their family is in the incredibly tough position of not making enough money to be able to pay for his insulin but making just a little too much to qualify for any of the programs that would help subsidize it. The shortfall is $500. A MONTH. So instead of despairing, Sarah got right to work sewing and selling aprons. She just barely opened an Etsy shop that you can check out here or here. And since I've spent time pricing aprons on Etsy in the past, I can tell you that the $30 she charges is a great price. Plus, you can tell her what you want and she'll make it for you.


So go. You know you have an in-law or girlfriend, or co-worker who would love one of these for Christmas!


Here's a couple of more things that are making me happy. I bet you didn't know that I've been on the hunt for the perfect nude lipstick and gloss. I FOUND THEM!


Loreal Color Riche in Fairest Nude (I know, it's getting all PG-13 up in here)
(Not my lips)
And then the gloss. Urban Decay Lip Junkie in Wallflower. So basically I can stand around totally naked and no one will notice me? I don't know. But this stuff is extra awesome because it has spearmint in it and it feels like your lips are getting a massage for an hour after you put it on.
Which looks like this:
(Still not mine)
Also, buying this gloss proved once again that I can't say no to cosmetics when they're peddled by gay boys. Even when they're wearing more make up than I am.

Other stuff making me happy . . . good books I've read. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins (PG-13), In the Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson, Variant by Robison Wells. Yay!



14 comments:

TheOneTrueSue said...

Happy for you my friend!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Yay for writing more books! :D I loved both of yours. Can't wait to read more!
And nude lipstick and gloss? Love it.

Abby Fowers said...

LOL. Yay on so many different things! Happy to hear about your book doing so well! Love it when we get to keep writing. And I do love that apron - AND the lip gloss too. I wish those were my lips! So not fair. :)

Kristina P. said...

You look adorable! And I can't rock the nude lip color, without looking like I came from the morgue.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You happy is just radiating off the screen (either that or I have the brightness up too high again - tsk). Love, love, love!

Your friend Sarah sounds awesome and I will use her for all my apron-y needs. I have a friend named Sarah whose little girl has Type 1 and I've seen secondhand what a struggle it can be just dealing with the health stuff, nevermind financial stuff on top of that. Your friend will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I have a sudden desire to go cosmetics shopping but I love my two-year-old too much to torture her like that. Next time I have a babysitter though - whoo boy! Look out world!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I love it when there is an apron that is just the right size, and as a tall person, that just doesn't happen all the time.

So happy you get to write more. Look forward to following your posts.

Maggie said...

Although my rule is to loathe anything with the words beige or nude in them, I actually like the lipstick!

LisAway said...

In that first lip picture you said those weren't your lips, but you never mentioned whether or not the bunny teeth are yours...

Congrats on being wrong about the success of your second book and finishing and trimming your most recent one. Woohooo!

Melinda said...

You being happy makes ME feel happy! Thanks for sharing all your happy news, I needed a pick me up!

Andrea said...

Thank you for this post. The apron part was touching, and the other stuff made me laugh (a lot)!

wendy said...

HOW do you have time to Read, and Write....and buy lipstick
huh???

you are blessed with talent and multi-tasking I believe.
I can't imagine how it would be to actually write a whole book.

Kazzy said...

Congrats on the manuscript. And the numbers on Not My Type. Awesome.

I love those lipsticks. That minimalist look is my fave. Lots on the eyes, and a little everywhere else.

melissabastow said...

Does the word NUDE get you more hits on google? Because that would be pretty awesome.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Congratulations on the success of NOT MY TYPE! That's very exciting news!