Friday, December 12, 2008

The 'Do

Today continues my series on special holiday recipes in my Friday Favorites. This idea was inspired by the ongoing search many parents have for organic, eco-friendly alternatives to household products in every category. Today, I'm sharing the perfect solution for hairstyling to replace those CFC/chemically-laden cans of hair product lining your shelves. Even better, this is a no-tears recipe that won't sting your little snookums' eyes.

Banana Fantastic:

1 banana
1 high chair
1 baby

1. Place baby in high chair.
2. Peel a banana and give it to the baby. A half at a time works fine.
3. Do other things in your kitchen, paying only slight attention to the child.
4. Your child will alert you to a need for the other banana half with an impatient shriek.
5. Grab it to give to him.
6. When you do approach the child, take careful note of his previous banana placement. If you have followed these steps exactly, the child will have squished the bananas between his fingers and rubbed the mash all over his hair.
7. Allow the bananas at least thirty seconds to set.
8. This will give him some fierce, crunchy helmet hair, impervious to wind, rain, or baby wipes.

*Editor's note: Just be careful that the banana is spread evenly throughout. Otherwise, concentrated chunks begin to resemble Grossness Supreme (crusty wall boogers) as they dry instead of organic hair product. Also, keep child away from wild monkeys in case they try to eat his head.

This worked fabulously well yesterday, so it's coming to you straight from the test kitchen.

17 comments:

LisAway said...

WHAT a shame! Aaron won't eat bananas unless they're baked into something, and I don't think this recipe would work as well with banana BREAD. Oh well.

LisAway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annette Lyon said...

I can attest to the genius of this recipe. My son was very good at it several years ago.

Becky said...

We're old pros with this recipe! Who knew a banana could be so much fun?

Cajoh said...

"Love" your test kitchen posts. Since I'm losing most of my hair and my wife's kids are now grown— we cannot test this, but we do make fried bananas that we fry in butter… yum, yum.

Kristina P. said...

I think I need a picture to get the exact feel of what you are talking about. :)

Emily said...

What a cutie!

nano*ink said...

the chocolate cake face and hair and hands and surrounding area recipe works really well too.

Anonymous said...

My oldest son used to substitute apple sauce for hair gel (and face lotion, and hand balm) all the time, but I can see how the banana improves on the recipe.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I don't miss the mess of those days, but I do kinda miss the photo ops.

Maybe that's why I gave Becca hot chocolate while she was wearing a white shirt today...

Heather of the EO said...

Bananas really do make for some beautiful hair. I usually do let them get all crusty and then I need to scrape them off...but whatever. After a bath, the golden sheen is just gorgeous.

CP said...

Can't we see a picture?

Debbie said...

I bet there is some spa somewhere that charges a few hundred bucks for just such a banana hair treatment.

Alison Wonderland said...

I think bananas are gross so the baby rarely gets them. But then he doesn't have enought hair to "do" anyway.

charrette said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is all.

Julie Wright said...

LOL! That was my fav recipe when my kids were in highchairs. You are one brilliant chef!

Heidi said...

Oh, baby, have I ever dealt with banana helmet head.

It's nice to know we have the same approach to proper childcare and feeding.